Most of you who have seen me around UG know I'm a guitarist, but the bassist in my band is looking for some effects pedals. The MP3's in my profile are a good indication of what we sound like, but our newer songs are more experimental. I'm thinking some sort of fuzz or distortion would be really good (I love the sound of the Shin Ei Companion Fuzz but they're a bit expensive), as well as a synth.

So, bassists of UG, what effects are good for bass? Any recommendations besides fuzz and synth?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Go for the Boss Bass Chorus Pedal. I use one and it makes my bass sound awesome.

Playing a BC Rich Mockingbird NT Heritage Classic 4 Series bass through my Peavey TNT150 bass amp with the amps preset chorus on half way but then adding the pedal's chorus effect makes it sound amazing.

the exact model of the pedal is the Boss CEB-3 Chorus pedal.

Hope this helps you out

Stevie.D
I use a Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi, it's pretty damn good with like metal/muse and whatever you really want, you can get a real good tone. I also use a phaser, what kind of genre are you?
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
Quote by sincewhen??
I use a Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi, it's pretty damn good with like metal/muse and whatever you really want, you can get a real good tone. I also use a phaser, what kind of genre are you?

Trying to be as general as possible I'd say we're alternative rock. But we experiment often with different sounds and effects.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
Trying to be as general as possible I'd say we're alternative rock. But we experiment often with different sounds and effects.

Well i'd recommend the Big Muff (yes HAR HAR HAR), it's a tad expensive but definately worth the price in my eyes. Give it a go whenever your at a store next time. I always incorporate it in my band somehow, even if its for like just the solo to get rhythm. Best of luck.
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/EN/ME-50B/

Not sure what the budget is but this one has prety much all you can think off.
Seen it here for around € 299

This Pedal is great, it's pretty much the same as the GT-6B accept it's way cheeper. I would defenitally recemend it for everyone. It has pedal wah, t wah up, t wah down, t wah edge, octave down, octave up, slow gear, defretter, enhancer, bottom boost, mid shape, hollow, 4 different kinds of synth, hold delay tap delay, analog delay, 0-400 ms delay, 300-1400 ms delay, phaser, flanger, chorus, chorus delay, chorus reverb, reverb, resonance, 1octave, -octave, sound hold and last kick drum and it also has patches

PS. I'm no big fan of digitech (it will probably be me) it looks and 'feels' cheap.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
1) A Big Muff will drop the bass out of the mix and you'll have no low end to the sonic spectrum
2) I will have to agree with Mescalino here and say that if you know you want effects, but aren't quite sure what you want, get a nice multi-effects pedal.
I've had a number of effects, and tried out a few others

and in my own opinion, you don't need tonnes of effects for bass, certainly a LOT less than guitars tend to use

I just stick with my Overdrive and Chorus pedal, and even then I use them sparingly, just to add something here and there to a song, Chorus is great for adding atmosphere and coupled with a bit of distortion or overdrive can get some really cool sounds

if you play a bit of funk maybe a wah pedal or envelope filter?

but yeah, chorus and some form of distortion/overdrive are my recommnedations

Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by ccmetz2020
I don't know about everyone else, but I recommend the Digitech Bass Synth/Wah Envelope filter: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-XSW-Synth-Wah-Envelope-Filter-Pedal?sku=150823

It'll make your bass sound really funky and cool. If you've heard 21st Century by the Red Hot chili peppers. Flea (the bassist) uses this effect.

A good pedal, I have one and really like it. I don't know if it will suit your needs however.
And Flea uses a Electro Harmonix Q-Tron.

As you said it yourself, a fuzz would be nice. A synth (like the digitech) could be nice for the more experimental songs aswell as a chorus. For the chorus I recommend the Digitech bass chorus. Easy to use and decent sound.
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
Check the FAQ. There are sound bytes to every BASS (notice the capitals) distortion, envelope filter, and octaver on the market. There's a good start.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Thanks, I'll check the FAQ. I was definitely thinking chorus would be good, and I'll probably have my bassist look into an envelope filter. But distortion is his priority, so a Big Muff is probably a good idea. It got good reviews, but it seems like I always ask here first.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
Thanks, I'll check the FAQ. I was definitely thinking chorus would be good, and I'll probably have my bassist look into an envelope filter. But distortion is his priority, so a Big Muff is probably a good idea. It got good reviews, but it seems like I always ask here first.

Do NOT get a big muff. They will cut the bass out of the tone, causing him to drop out of the misx completely. For overdrive, I will recomond the Fulltone Bass Drive. It's an incredible pedal. However, he needs to try some out himself.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The Big Muff is NOT on that list of overdrive pedals. Doesn't that... settle it once and for all?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Envelope filters in my experience, have limited use

great for somethings, but limited...its all opinion however
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by thefitz
The Big Muff is NOT on that list of overdrive pedals. Doesn't that... settle it once and for all?

Ya know, I've always been curious about the Marshall Guv'nor's use on bass. I believe Applehead has one (get unbanned man!) and Timmy C from RATM uses one. He certainly doesn't disappear from the mix, and his distortion is quite nice. Though it might have something to do with tri amping his signal and having 3 tube amps
If your bassist has the money, go the the Line 6 Bass POD. It's more for set-and-go type stuff, but it's a great product. Also, if you get the Floor POD, that helps make it easier to change on the fly.

Quote by IndianRockStar
...Though it might have something to do with tri amping his signal and having 3 tube amps

O.O Dang. That does make me want to try out the Guv'nor, though. I have a friend who has one, I think I'll borrow it from him.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n
O.O Dang. That does make me want to try out the Guv'nor, though. I have a friend who has one, I think I'll borrow it from him.

You should do this, then tell us how it sounded. Especially how much low end you lost (if any).
Quote by IndianRockStar
You should do this, then tell us how it sounded. Especially how much low end you lost (if any).

Who says the guv'nor is ACTUALLY in Timmy C's loop?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Who says the guv'nor is ACTUALLY in Timmy C's loop?

You actually DO have a point there. I also believe he *uses* a Boss bass distortion (whatever the hell its called).
Definitley give a listen to a phaser w/ a chorus pedal AFTER it. IMO BOSS is the way to go
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Quote by gm jack
Do NOT get a big muff. They will cut the bass out of the tone, causing him to drop out of the misx completely. For overdrive, I will recomond the Fulltone Bass Drive. It's an incredible pedal. However, he needs to try some out himself.

Yeah we're going to check out 2 or 3 music stores this week. And if the big muff sucks away low end, that's the last thing we need... with 3 guitars the bassist needs as much low end as he can get.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Big Muff
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
I particularly like almost any Boss pedal. However, the Whammy Pedal is my favorite of them all because it's so versatile. It has a few small chord uses as well, but it's small. However, when I played in an all bass band, that's what I used to generate a different sound that was more like a guitar in pitch and tone.

--Arojekt.
if it's live, you could ask for an extra DI to go in front of the FX so you have a clean sound, and then mic the amp or put a DI after the FX for a wet sound.

I wouldn't recommend a Distrotion for bass, you'll be more with a fuzz.
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
i just got a russian big muff last payday and i LOVE it. people say it cuts out the low end but it all depends on how you set it up.
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
Quote by IndianRockStar

You actually DO have a point there. I also believe he *uses* a Boss bass distortion (whatever the hell its called).

The ODB-3? That's what I have, didn't know Tim used it. In fact... I'm pretty sure I read that he made his own overdrive.

Regardless, I will say that I love the ODB-3. Lots of edge to it, and can easily boost the hell out of your low end. Or give you the treble growl that's great for solo parts. It's kind of like Vanilla Coke though - some people love it, others hate it. Kind of like my Bass Wars entry.

I still suggest you go check out all those sound bytes and, more importantly, try out the pedals in the store.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
I use a Big Muff only for Live Gigs or if I'm on my own with the drums on the recording (only when I need to), just dont have the sustain past the 1'o clock and should give you a creamy sound, but if I use fuzz/distortion with the other instruments in play, I use the distortion thats built in with my PDW-II, it has the trebley growl.
I just got a boss BF-3 flanger pedal and i love it. Although a chorus pedal would be almsot definately more versatile. Boss is the way to go in my opinion.
Boss tends to colour your tone though

personally I like it, and the ODB-3, hence on my second one now (one got traded, I got sad, my gf's parents bought me one for my 18th, they are built like tanks and wont fall apart)

I also like vanilla coke
Quote by the humanity
Quote by zamok
i just got a russian big muff last payday and i LOVE it. people say it cuts out the low end but it all depends on how you set it up.

The trouble with it is, it doesn't cut the low mids. It cuts the true bass from the signal. So while it may sound bassy, in reality it doesn't sound that different from a guitar with their bass control cranked up.

They make bass distortions for a reason. Due to the nature of a distortion pedal, if it is not made to process a certain frequency, it just cuts it out.

You are still going though the honeymoon period with your shiney new toy. As soon as you try to play that live, unless you have it set to a massive volume boost over your clean signal, you will find that that the only bass left in the song is the kick drum.

It may take you owning a true bass distortion pedal to really show you how much bass is lost (like indie-bassist) but I really would not advise a Big Muff unless you are desperate for that specific tone and have the means to mix it with a clean signal (either a blender pedal or biamping).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
It may take you owning a true bass distortion pedal to really show you how much bass is lost (like indie-bassist) but I really would not advise a Big Muff unless you are desperate for that specific tone and have the means to mix it with a clean signal (either a blender pedal or biamping).

It's true, I liked my Big Muff, I thought it was great... for about 2 months. I tried it with my band and I didn't cut through, I tried it on my own again and realised just how much bass I was missing. In the end I splashed out on a Fulltone Bass Drive and haven't regretted it, it's obviously nowhere near as fuzzy because it's an overdrive but I can still cut through with it and it sounds fantastic. I'm tempted to mod my Big Muff to handle lower frequencies though, or put a low pass filter in there somewhere to retain some bass.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I still cannot believe that someone hasn't created a low-pass filter pedal. No, not a blender. Low-pass filter.
Quote by Cody_Grey102