Hey guys... People are forever bringing down the "speed" factor when playing guitar saying that it means nothing. They are right in a sense but I say that it's not the most important aspect of playing guitar but is one of the skills some people don't have... Please give your views guys! CYA
I think how you said, that speed doesn´t mean that somebody is a good player.
I think speed is just a tool to express a certain feeling or to make the solo/melody more intensive, but speed should not be the mainpoint of one´s playing.
In my eyes a good player is who can do both very well, playing slow and fast or mix them up.
In general it doesn´t matter if a player is fast or not.
It depends how somebody use certain skills in music, I think that´s the mainpoint which makes a player good or bad.

Greets 40BPM
if you can play fast, cleanly, you are a good guitarist. being able to mix that with melody, slower bits, make it more interesting just makes you a better composer. and ignoring it altogether makes you ignorant.

this doesn't seem particularly exclusive to metal though...
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
A combination of every skill makes the player. not mastering one single skill.
When i think of brilliant compositions on guitar i think of tommy emmanual. He can shred like a beast. But he also adds melody.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
I think you're in the wrong forum.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I can shred... Shred Paper!!! *horrible attempt at a joke*
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
Theres three parts to a guitarist.

Technicality
Composing
Performing

Being fast only earns you points in the first category, which is not enough to deem you a good guitarist.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by Terror Kovenant

Technicality
Composing
Performing

Being fast only earns you points in the first category, which is not enough to deem you a good guitarist.

being able to play fast doesn't even earn you points in the first category. being able to play fast cleanly does.

this is the wrong forum btw
Quote by lobster624
being able to play fast doesn't even earn you points in the first category. being able to play fast cleanly does.

this is the wrong forum btw

Well, obviously, that should go without saying, if you can't play something cleanly, then you can't actually play it....

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Terror Kovenant

Technicality
Composing
Performing

Well, if you can use speed in certain spots where it really makes the song a great deal better, and isnt there just to prove you're really fast. Couldnt it also earn you points in category 2?

The way I see it, being able to hit notes cleanly and quickly gives you much more freedom in composing. As do other skills.
Last edited by Dethkreep at Mar 17, 2008,
You can have speed like this but not have any technique...now i'm not saying anything about him in particular because i haven't seen anything but that vid by him but just the general idea of how speed isnt everything...
My pedalboard is worth more than my car, but that doesn't say much for either.
My growth as a player seems to come so randomly. I practice like a freak and...nothing. I'm just noodling and *wham* breakthrough. So, in summation I have nothing of....any...real value...to..add..ahem...to this thread.
Quote by Terror Kovenant

Technicality
Composing
Performing

Wouldn't technicality fall under performing?
Quote by Scourge441
Wouldn't technicality fall under performing?

No. Technicality is being able to sweep pick.

Performing is being able to be on stage, recreate your music, hold a crowd's attention, and not succumb to such things like stage fright. Being able to sell your skills.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

If you can play fast and Clean, you get mad props from me.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas