help!!! in middle of writing the lead for my song, reached the bridge and i don't know what scales to use over my progression. the song is in e major and the 3 chord progression is F#m A and B... any reccomendations
the song is in e major

...so use the E major scale.

The chords are all diatonic to E major, they just don't seem to want to resolve anywhere, so it's doubtful the chorus is modal in any way. Just stick to E major.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 17, 2008,
e major scale

or c# minor pentatonic would be your easiest and safest bet

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

tanks its just that my lead guitarist left my band so i have to come up wit the lead ideas myself
Quote by timzee117
e major scale

or c# minor pentatonic would be your easiest and safest bet

no, e major pentatonic would work.
use F# dorian or minor pentatonic, because F# dorian is the 2nd mode of E major... and because you're never resolving to E, you're actually in F#.
Quote by dividedsky
use F# dorian or minor pentatonic, because F# dorian is the 2nd mode of E major... and because you're never resolving to E, you're actually in F#.

The progression doesn't really resolve to F# at all. E major is actually established quite firmly, since the chords are basically an unresolved I-IV-V progression.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
if this helps the verse is the same chords.... the prechorus is Amajor, Bmajor, C#major....the chorus uses F#7, A7, B7, C#7.....if it helps
What chords can I use in the E mixolydian mode for a descent solo?
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Just use E major, E mixolydian or E lydian.

Make sure you're wary of the chords being used, however, as you write it so you don't hit the A# or D when they would clash with a B or D#.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by CortFan1
What chords can I use in the E mixolydian mode for a descent solo?

This is a very back to front question!

If you are looking for some chords created by E mixolydian? that would be Emaj, E7, E9, E11 and E13 to name the main ones.
^yep, also a I - bVII vamp works well for mixolydian too so for E mixo you could use E - D
Quote by Archeo Avis
The progression doesn't really resolve to F# at all. E major is actually established quite firmly, since the chords are basically an unresolved I-IV-V progression.

You need an E to be in E. If you loop through the ii - IV - V, never actually going to I, I will not sound like the tonal center after awhile. It might be ridiculously easy to get back to E, but that doesn't make the current tonality E.

What I would play depends on the feel of the song, but staying diatonic to E is probably a good idea.
Quote by Archeo Avis

It sounds like it resolves to F# to me. Maybe it's just because I particularly like Dorian mode.
Quote by theodds
You need an E to be in E. If you loop through the ii - IV - V, never actually going to I, I will not sound like the tonal center after awhile. It might be ridiculously easy to get back to E, but that doesn't make the current tonality E.

What I would play depends on the feel of the song, but staying diatonic to E is probably a good idea.

You don't need an E, you just need a tonal center of E.
Make sure you don't just solo over one scale. Use the chords to solo over. Practice each of the chord scales, and then put it all together. Also refer to Marty Friedman's Melodic control video, it's got a lot of useful improvisation tips.
Quote by dividedsky

Dorian is applied over minor chords (m7 and m6 as well), so as soon as the chords go to the A major and B major you'd no longer be playing in F# Dorian.
Quote by theodds

But you will play the notes of F#, A, C, E, B, D#, which when arranged gives you, E, F#, A, B, C, D#. This is will clearly resolve to E.