I know the lead singer of the mars volta uses some voice effects. I know digitech has one but to me it's really expensive. Are there any cheaper ones?
Quote by dragon77
cedric (singer from TMV) actually just uses alot of guitar pedals for his vox effects

this, or at least he did back in ATD-I.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this, or at least he did back in ATD-I.

Yeah, thats what i was thinking of, actually. I assume now since TMV is much larger they have a sounds guy who takes care of all the vocal effects for him.
Here's a trick. Sing a note and headbang your, er, head like you're getting spasms. Pretty cool effects there.

I've tried putting my voice through a compressor, then wah wah, then reverb, then un-wah wah-ing it, changing the speed (affecting both tempo and pitch), returning pitch to normal pitch, returning the tempo to original tempo, and amplifying.

I got a beautiful mash of distorted vocals. It sounded quite pretty actually.
Quote by Mask_Of_Sanity
There's always castration? Most effective vocal effect since the middle ages.

Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
There's loads of free VST plug-ins you could use if you're just thinking about recording or don't mind lugging a laptop to gigs. From what I've heard (admittedly not much), the guy from the Mars Volta uses a lot of octaving and a little bit of overdrive on almost everything.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Mask_Of_Sanity
There's always castration? Most effective vocal effect since the middle ages.

true, but you'll have to do it before the voice starts to go deeper
You like it