well first off, i am only 14 and lately have been having many issues with my substance abuse....i used to play and always loved playing but soon gave up.. I was just wondering if playing has helped you stay away from drugs because if i fail my drug tests i have to go into a treatment center again and i really want some thing to do, something that will become a lifelong hobby
I do some drugs recreationally, but if I had to choose, guitar > drugs no matter what. It's what has kept me away from addiction. But you HAVE to be passionate about it. You can't force yourself to play, and playing isn't for everyone. It also really helps to have a really good friend around who cares about you and knows that you have a problem that needs fixed.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Playing guitar, if you enjoy it, may well provide a good alternative to drugs and motivation to quit them. But ultimately the strength to stop doing drugs has to come from your own character.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
wow dude 14? ****. i keep playing ahead of everything. i dont do much stuff but whenever i hit a problem i just pickup my guitar and dont let it down for an hour or 4
Haha, 14? Probably just some pot. Anyways, play while youre stoned. No problems with that.
Quote by otniel01
well first off, i am only 14 and lately have been having many issues with my substance abuse....i used to play and always loved playing but soon gave up.. I was just wondering if playing has helped you stay away from drugs because if i fail my drug tests i have to go into a treatment center again and i really want some thing to do, something that will become a lifelong hobby

I find guitar much more amusing than drugs...I've never really tried drugs and do not want to but that's another thing.

Guitar is a thing you can use hours and hours on, and if you find it interesting it should help you stay away from drugs. You can never stop learning. Guitar>drugs x100.000.000
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
TS: Sorry about your problems man. I've never done drugs, so I can't really relate with you on an eye-to-eye level, but don't give up your life and its many great passions (music like you said) for drugs. Once again, I've never done drugs myself but I know many people who have and I know you'll regret it if you don't control yourself. That is all. Good luck man.