I recently bought an ESP (tuned to drop D [sometimes drop C#]) and now I have my RG sitting there (I installed EMG's). I love lower tunings, I used to play in drop C all the time. Would it be a good idea to slap some bari strings on it? I'm thinking since I have two guitars... why have them tuned the same.

Or is it smarter to keep the RG as a backup... I play live once or twice a week on a regular basis.
Baritone guitars actually have different scale length to adjust for the additional tension so you cant make a normal guitar into a baritone guitar.

That being said, you should just do whatever you want. Do you need a backup for gigs? Or do you need the other tunings to switch between songs?

your choice.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Walternativo
Baritone guitars actually have different scale length to adjust for the additional tension so you cant make a normal guitar into a baritone guitar.

That being said, you should just do whatever you want. Do you need a backup for gigs? Or do you need the other tunings to switch between songs?

your choice.

+1. also, C is not baritone range. Put some .10s on it and you'll be fine.
Warmoth sells baritone conversion necks, check there.
The longer scale length on a baritone is not to adjust for additional tensions it's so you can get a lower range. Think of a bass, longer scale lenght lower range.

Baritone range is usually B, but just like a standard guitar you can experiment with tunings.

If you want a good low, deep, sound you need a baritone, simply slapping on 10's and tuning down won't give you as good of a tone. Standard scale strings are meant to be streached to a certain tension the more slack you put in the string by de-tuning the less the string vibrates and it becomes harder for the pickups to pickup the sound.
yeah you would need to put a new neck on it to make it a baritone, and possibly a new bridge to deal with the heavier strings. If your RG has a floyd you will probably have to block it at the least.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by Kill Rockstar
Warmoth sells baritone conversion necks, check there.
The longer scale length on a baritone is not to adjust for additional tensions it's so you can get a lower range. Think of a bass, longer scale lenght lower range.

Baritone range is usually B, but just like a standard guitar you can experiment with tunings.

If you want a good low, deep, sound you need a baritone, simply slapping on 10's and tuning down won't give you as good of a tone. Standard scale strings are meant to be streached to a certain tension the more slack you put in the string by de-tuning the less the string vibrates and it becomes harder for the pickups to pickup the sound.

Good post!

What I ended up doing (for now) is just thrown on some heavy strings and have it tuned down to B. It actually sounds quite good. I have EMG's in it so that probably helps. I do want to get a new neck for it at some point because it has been starting to twist.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah you would need to put a new neck on it to make it a baritone, and possibly a new bridge to deal with the heavier strings. If your RG has a floyd you will probably have to block it at the least.

Its a fixed bridge
then you will still need a new neck, and you may have to file the saddles on the bridge to accommodate the thicker strings.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm