I'm trying to figure out the Tremolo on a 2003 PGM model. Is it a Floyd Rose? What kind of neck does it have? Is it custom or Wizard 1/2? What kind of pickups come stock on this older model?
Quote by BOBThaBuilda
I'm trying to figure out the Tremolo on a 2003 PGM model. Is it a Floyd Rose? What kind of neck does it have? Is it custom or Wizard 1/2? What kind of pickups come stock on this older model?

Are you talking about the PGM300?

If you are, It has the Edge Pro if it really is an '03. Otherwise, it's a Lo-Pro.

The neck is a Wizard II, the pickups are DiMarzio (PAF Pro and Jem Single) and the body is basswood.

The PGM300 is basically a PGM301, but with a trem.

You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap

If you are, It has the Edge Pro if it really is an '03. Otherwise, it's a Lo-Pro.

The neck is a Wizard II, the pickups are DiMarzio (PAF Pro and Jem Single) and the body is basswood.

I'd kill for that guitar
Quote by strings-N-stuff
I'd kill for that guitar

Well, you probably won't have to go that far to get one

They were made fairly recently and you should be able to find one on Ebay.

Quote by Stratwizard
Tremolo on a PGM is a rape.

The PGM 3, 30, 100, 300 and 400 all have one...
^Make sure that you aren't getting a Chinese replica, there's always alot of them knocking about.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by strings-N-stuff
I would, but I'm upgradeing my amp soon, mabey in a few months. I've seen the PGM30s cheap on eBay lately

There's a massive difference between the 30 and the 300.

If you do want a 30 (which is lower in quality) make absolutely sure that it's an '03. For some reason, the 2003 version has an Edge pro, while the other years have inferior trems.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The PGM 3, 30, 100, 300 and 400 all have one...

doesn't mean you have to like them.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Bonsaischaap, you have eternal knowledge of Ibanez guitars!
You put me to shame.

But I think I love you

Why thank you

Although in all fairness, when it comes to general Ibanez and not just PGMs, Pifty takes the cake...

Quote by Lemoninfluence
doesn't mean you have to like them.

I was just pointing out that that there have been several tremolo models of the PGM.
Quote by Bonsaischaap

Thanks for all your advice. Good to have that kind of knowledge on these boards. Based on what you said, that an 03' is a PGM300 (and it is an 03 for sure), would you recommend that I go for a $900 2007 PGM301 or a $700 2003 PGM300 then? I would rarely use the trem, but I like the rosewood fretboard better than the maple.
Quote by BOBThaBuilda
Thanks for all your advice. Good to have that kind of knowledge on these boards. Based on what you said, that an 03' is a PGM300 (and it is an 03 for sure), would you recommend that I go for a $900 2007 PGM301 or a $700 2003 PGM300 then? I would rarely use the trem, but I like the rosewood fretboard better than the maple.

Well, what I'm saying is this:

-the PGM301 equals the 300 in quality

-the PGM300 is essentially a 301 with a trem

-there's a difference in quality between the 300 and the 30

-the 30 had a good trem in 2003, but not during the other years of production

-the fact whether it's 2003 or not has nothing to do with it being a 30 or a 300

You can easily spot the difference between a 300 and a 30: the 300 has a maple board. There are other visual differences too, but the board is the easiest.

Between the '07 301 and the '03 300, the choice is yours. If you want a trem, go for the 300, if not, the 301.

They're both Japanese Prestige instruments with DiMarzio pickups. Paul's main guitar for years has been a 300, but converted into hardtail, making it a 301.

Hope that helps
Quote by Stratwizard
Tremolo on a PGM is a rape.

I kind of have to agree. Although the older ones used to have it, you might want to try it out for a few months before you go routing a $1200 guitar. Having said that, the Edge or Edge Pro are the best trems. Good Luck.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Well, what I'm saying is this:

-the PGM301 equals the 300 in quality

-the PGM300 is essentially a 301 with a trem

-there's a difference in quality between the 300 and the 30

-the 30 had a good trem in 2003, but not during the other years of production

-the fact whether it's 2003 or not has nothing to do with it being a 30 or a 300

You can easily spot the difference between a 300 and a 30: the 300 has a maple board. There are other visual differences too, but the board is the easiest.

Between the '07 301 and the '03 300, the choice is yours. If you want a trem, go for the 300, if not, the 301.

They're both Japanese Prestige instruments with DiMarzio pickups. Paul's main guitar for years has been a 300, but converted into hardtail, making it a 301.

Hope that helps

well one more thing. the guitar is definitely an 03 (looked up the serial on guitar dater), but the seller calls it a PGM30. is it a 30 or 300?
Quote by BOBThaBuilda
well one more thing. the guitar is definitely an 03 (looked up the serial on guitar dater), but the seller calls it a PGM30. is it a 30 or 300?

Does it have a maple fretboard? Yes>300
No>30

Like I said, that's the easiest way to spot the difference.

Also does the serial start with F?
yes, it's F03******, don't quite remember. so if it's a 30 i should stay away from it right? even if it has a trem it's not worth using, right? and if it's not identical to the 301 like the 300 is (301 hardtail, 300 trem), what is different about it other than the fretboard and bridge?

and just to make sure i got this:

03 PGM30 = edge pro bridge, wizard 2 neck, paf pro bridge & neck, JEM singlecoil
Quote by BOBThaBuilda
yes, it's F03******, don't quite remember. so if it's a 30 i should stay away from it right? even if it has a trem it's not worth using, right? and if it's not identical to the 301 like the 300 is (301 hardtail, 300 trem), what is different about it other than the fretboard and bridge?

and just to make sure i got this:

03 PGM30 = edge pro bridge, wizard 2 neck, paf pro bridge & neck, JEM singlecoil

If the PGM he has is the one thats in bold^^, then thats a good guitar.
Quote by dogismycopilot
If the PGM he has is the one thats in bold^^, then thats a good guitar.

i think it is, but according to bonsai (who i believe more) it is a pgm300. but the seller says its a pgm30 in his ad.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
There's a massive difference between the 30 and the 300.

If you do want a 30 (which is lower in quality) make absolutely sure that it's an '03. For some reason, the 2003 version has an Edge pro, while the other years have inferior trems.

when you say massive difference, what exactly do you mean? aside from the rosewood fretboard, i can't think of any if the bridge is the same.
Quote by BOBThaBuilda
when you say massive difference, what exactly do you mean? aside from the rosewood fretboard, i can't think of any if the bridge is the same.

You said the serial starts with F, meaning it's Japanese.

The 300 is Japanese, so provided it's not a fake, it should be:

a 2003 PGM300, with:

-a maple fretboard
-a Wizard II profile
-DiMarzio pickups
-Prestige quality

Don't worry about the 30.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
You said the serial starts with F, meaning it's Japanese.

The 300 is Japanese, so provided it's not a fake, it should be:

a 2003 PGM300, with:

-a maple fretboard
-a Wizard II profile
-DiMarzio pickups
-Prestige quality

Don't worry about the 30.

ok well it doesnt have a maple fretboard but as i said its definitely 03. that makes it a 30 with an edge pro right?
Quote by BOBThaBuilda
ok well it doesnt have a maple fretboard but as i said its definitely 03. that makes it a 30 with an edge pro right?

Yes it makes it a 30, with an Edge Pro.
Quote by dogismycopilot
So its a PGM30 with an Edge pro; not a bad guitar right? Sounds like a decent thing to me.

the 30 doesn't have the paf pickups though. i think it uses ibanez inf.
Hey Bonais,

Tell me when you finally purchase a PGM. I'll be glad to know what you think of it!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Hey Bonais,

Tell me when you finally purchase a PGM. I'll be glad to know what you think of it!

Unfortunately I may have slightly blown my PGM301 fund on a Caparison....

But I'll get it, eventually.... I'm still very attracted to the magic of the fake F-Hole.

Quote by Bonsaischaap
Unfortunately I may have slightly blown my PGM301 fund on a Caparison....

But I'll get it, eventually.... I'm still very attracted to the magic of the fake F-Hole.

im pickin mine up today!! cant wait...
Quote by BOBThaBuilda
im pickin mine up today!! cant wait...

Kickass!

Please post pics and a full description when you get it
Quote by BOBThaBuilda
the 30 doesn't have the paf pickups though. i think it uses ibanez inf.

Oh thats right! Hmm, well i have those in my guitar and they sound a-mazing! You could always just put them in if its cost-effective. Good luck though, hope you get what you want.
i got my PGM301, its a SEX MACHINE! the thing sounds amazing plugged and unplugged. i got compliments from people already on how much better it sounds (even acoustically). only dislike i have is the wider neck (my hands are somewhat small) than the RG i used to have. i'm already getting used to it though.

will post pics up soon, hopefully tonight.
Quote by BOBThaBuilda
i got my PGM301, its a SEX MACHINE! the thing sounds amazing plugged and unplugged. i got compliments from people already on how much better it sounds (even acoustically). only dislike i have is the wider neck (my hands are somewhat small) than the RG i used to have. i'm already getting used to it though.

will post pics up soon, hopefully tonight.

Congrats!

And I'm looking forward to the pics