My band has gradually shifted style over the past years to a heavier more ballsy rock sound. We are in the process of writing a new album and its time for the 2 guitarists to step up from the combo amp to a half stack. I am playing out of a really nice fender twin ('87) but I need to go bigger. I never play out of half stacks and need some general info on how to go about choosing one that would fit me and my band, we are a 7 piece with 2 guitars so I dont want an overpowering HUGE amp that I would need in a 3 piece power rock trio. Stuff like what specifics about different heads might do for the sound would help me. Please spill your brain about anything you think might help me with my decision, seriously anything pertaining to a half stack would help, im pretty much clueless.
You are clueless if you think a Twin isn't enough amp for you. I want to help, but your outlook is so off, I just can't bring myself to do it.
Do you actually need a half stack?

Why do you actually need a half stack?

That aside, if you really do need a halfstack.

What kind of a tone do you want, what do you play, budget, any other gear you have?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
go to some of your local music shops and play around with some heads, or find some other guitarists in your area that might have half stacks. tone is really subjective, so in the end its really going to be you that has the say. if you mean ballsy rock like...ac/dc? of the black keys? id say go with something marshall (even though im not a fan), rivera, or mesa boogie a la mark series.

EDIT: i have no idea how you couldnt be happy with that twin...
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
I think the overpowering view here is to save your money and stick with your twin.

However if your really not happy with it. Tell us what kinda of stuff you play and what tone your looking for.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
You could just get an extension cab for your Twin. Much cheaper, and you'd still be using a really great amp. Unless, of course, you want an amp that can do the things the Twin isn't capable of. Then it might be time to look at something new. But if the sound of the Twin is right for you, then a cab would be better than a completely new head/cab setup.
if its just rockish and not metal then my fav would be a marshall vintage modern and an avatar cab
Quote by Denthúl
You could just get an extension cab for your Twin. Much cheaper, and you'd still be using a really great amp. Unless, of course, you want an amp that can do the things the Twin isn't capable of. Then it might be time to look at something new. But if the sound of the Twin is right for you, then a cab would be better than a completely new head/cab setup.

But and extension cab wont make it louder but it'll project more. Right?

I never played a Twin so i couldn't tell you if you should stick to it or not.

Yeah tell us what styles you play, maybe your guitar and effects to see how versatile the half stack (if thats what you want/need) has to be.

OO and the budget!
I really did not get that.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by Pabli7o
But and extension cab wont make it louder but it'll project more. Right?

Yep. The amp itself should be loud enough anyway. The projection of sound can make it sound a little 'ballsier'. The difference between a 2x12 and a 4x12, in that sense, is relevant here. However, I think I misread the original post, because the TS appears to want a slightly different sound, it seems. So yeah...a new amp may be an idea.

Though it's possible to still get a different sound without getting a new amp. A nice overdrive or boost pedal and EQ might work. But I think a JCM800 or similar sort of amp would be perfect for that hard rock sound if they insist on changing to something else.
Quote by Kendall
SM57 perhaps?

+1

You'll be micing up at gigs anyway. He seems to be happy with the Twin, other than the size of it? Take the time to learn about mic placement for better results at gigs.
I'd say extension cabinet and/or some pedals. I'm using a Peavey XXL212 cab under my 84 Twin Reverb II until I can find a Fender extension cabinet from that era. However, the Peavey is just the right size, cheap, and the back is convertible. Definately beefs the sound up quite a bit, plus the low end comes through much more than the fender speakers.

What are you trying to do, tonewise? The volume issue is basically moot. If the twin isn't loud enough for you and your band, you're probably already deaf
ok so i get it people dont think that i should get rid of the twin. Right now we play a heavy style kinda like At the Drive in, Mars Volta, Foo Fighters, Rage, kinda along those lines. anyway I just think its time to step up to a half stack, I like the clean tone on my twin, its just that the distortion tone that I get out of it with a modded Tube Screamer isnt quite enough power. I like the idea of an extension cab for the twin, but at the same time I think that a half stack would be the way to go. And the other guitar player is stepping up to a half stack with an orange head, so we would need to be on equal wavelengths so to speak. I just was kinda wondering what heads people really like, in terms of quality, tone, bang for your buck etc.....
Quote by santiaraujo
I just was kinda wondering what heads people really like, in terms of quality, tone, bang for your buck etc.....

That's all terribly subjective. I understand your reasons for opting to go with a halfstack and also understand that once someone decides on a particular setup it can be difficult (especially on a web forum) to change their mind.

The first thing you need to do is establish a solid budget. It wouldn't make sense for me to recommend a Soldano SLO if you only plan on spending $1000 and it wouldn't make sense for me to recommend a Peavey Windsor if you have $5000 to work with.

Something that may be worth looking into just on principle is the Traynor YCS100H. It's very versatile (3 channels with independent preamps, additional voicing options, and a switchable effects loop) and sounds surprisingly good for an amp in it's price range. It does a "really good" job (though not an "awesome" job) at obtaining tones ranging from bright cleans to bass heavy high gain. I think the head is obtainable for somewhere between $800 and $1000. The Traynor cab is also pretty good, but don't overlook something like an Avatar if you decide on different speakers or if you want to run a 212 or something.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I'm telling you man..try your amp on an extension cabinet. The stock speakers in the twin are very bright. Before getting rid of the best amp ever made , try plopping it on top of a Marshall 1960 cab. You'll be grinning ear to ear, trust me.

Last year at the Pitchfork music fest (mainly indie, shoegaze, and alternative bands), I'd say that 7 out of every 10 bands playing had at least 1 Fender twin. I've been through Crate Blue Voodoo, JCM900, and Johnson JM250 half stacks in the past year and the Twin is by far the best and most versatile IMHO (hell, the Johnson was even a modeling amp with on-board effects). The clean channel with it's unreal headroom is perfect for a long chain of stomp boxes.
Quote by santiaraujo
ok so i get it people dont think that i should get rid of the twin. Right now we play a heavy style kinda like At the Drive in, Mars Volta, Foo Fighters, Rage, kinda along those lines. anyway I just think its time to step up to a half stack, I like the clean tone on my twin, its just that the distortion tone that I get out of it with a modded Tube Screamer isnt quite enough power. I like the idea of an extension cab for the twin, but at the same time I think that a half stack would be the way to go. And the other guitar player is stepping up to a half stack with an orange head, so we would need to be on equal wavelengths so to speak. I just was kinda wondering what heads people really like, in terms of quality, tone, bang for your buck etc.....

Based on this post, I'm going to make some assumptions on the subject of the TS's penis length, and reccomend an MG100DFX halfstack.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Based on this post, I'm going to make some assumptions on the subject of the TS's penis length, and reccomend an MG100DFX halfstack.

+1
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Quote by Fama
Do you actually need a half stack?

Why do you actually need a half stack?

That aside, if you really do need a halfstack.

What kind of a tone do you want, what do you play, budget, any other gear you have?

maybe he wants a halfstack

cuz theyre bitchin

JCM 900?
5150?
Laney GH?
Mesa?

the list goes on.....
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.