Poll: Which is the best bluegrass recording?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the best bluegrass recording?
fleaflicker182
9 33%
greenhalagog
0 0%
Nutter_101
18 67%
Voters: 27.
Yet more Bass Wars recordings: it's everybody's favourite bluegrass!

Remember we're judging original basslines. Vote for your favourite on the basis of how it fulfils the brief as a bluegrass bassline and the quality of the writing and playing. Recording quality is NOT to be taken into account.

Entrants are:

fleaflicker182
greenhalagog
Nutter_101

Poll will close in a week so get listening and voting!
Yeah, just silence...

EDIT: Haha, funny speach at the end, nutter :P
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
Last edited by BoggaN at Mar 17, 2008,
fleaflicker182 - This was very good, it grasped that country feel to it in both layers of the song. Had great structure to it to although the lower chording was a bit muddy. Well kept in time and obviously lots of effort put into it! I want to grab a Uke and play along Good work!

greenhalagog - ...

Chris - good job it was good. Nice structure (abeit a bit random). Good work on the rhythm. Bit short tho! *hears the message*

Must... vote for... Chris... Must vote... for Chris...

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Flea- Nice job, but somewhat "blah". I don't know how to explain it really. It sounded good, but there was something missing.
Green- Best bluegrass song ever written? Yes.
Chris- Excellent. Nothing to say other than it got a little messed up halfway through. about the speech at the end though.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Green- Best bluegrass song ever written? Yes.

That's what I was going for...haha? No?..sorry about the messed up recording guys I don't know what happened to it, and my cable messed up so I couldn't re-record it
Member of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.

Member of the "Schecter Stiletto Players Will Rule The World" Club. PM Your41Plague12 or Fett13 to join.
Quote by elemenohpee
Nutter I'm sorry, but that sounded almost identical to Stu Hamm's country music. I couldn't possibly vote for it.

Who is this Stu Hamm?

What is country?

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Oh wow. Another tough choice!

My vote goes to greenhalagog.

But no.

Really, though I felt that Nutter's had some fantastic work in it... I'm going to have to go with fleaflicker's. And I'll tell you why!

1. After listening to them both twice, I realized that fleaflicker's really had a better progression. It was quite ingenuitive. Because that's a word.

2. Nutter, my initial reaction was that you were playing a very good bassline. And then I realized. It didn't feel... like a bassline. It felt like you were playing a guitar. And in fact, for most of the song, you were in the high range. Fleaflicker, on the other hand, made me remember he was playing a bass. Twice.

3. Though it was riotously funny, I cannot credit you for the end speech, and in fact, without it, your piece falls under the 90-second mark. Objectivism is a harsh woman, I know, but I must be fair. Also, that is another word I have made up in this post alone. Objectivism.

So, my vote's to fleaflicker. Great work, both of you!

...And greenhalagog...
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
i thought fleaflicker's piece was good, but until about the 1:10 mark had nothing "bluegrass" about it. very good bass, but not "genre" related enough for me.

Nutter's piece was way more "country" to me, and thats closer to bluegrass, than fleas'. it was also well played, and entertaining. both players have considerable skills.
but on this one, i'm going with Nutter.

in the right genre, fleaflicker is going to be tuff to beat. good job boyz!!
Toss up b/w Nutter and Fleaflicker... I'll have to go with Fleaflicker.

As Whylater pointed out, it was more of a bassline, and although Nutter's was probably more bluegrassy (whatever the hell that means), it was more guitar-like.
I loved Rootin Tootin Nutters on this one. Had me shakin in me boots?
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
I'm going to address the people who were condemning the fact that my piece was more guitar-like in sound.

To be entirely honest, if someone had asked me "Which genre do you want to do for Bass Wars?" I would never have answered "Bluegrass". I wouldn't even if my nipples were on fire and my testicles lightly dangled in Margarat Thatchers tender mouth. But that's another story.

Point is, I'm not familiar with the genre at all, and so I couldn't write any drums or guitar parts for it to provide a solid base for the bassline to solo over. If I get through, you'll see some much more technically "bassy" work from me, don't worry.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I have to say this phase of the competition made me laugh so damn hard. And I got to hear Chris' speaking voice!! Double bonus!! AND I HATE BLUEGRASS!!

It was a hard choice between Nutter_101 and fleaflicker182. Both were great in their own ways. fleaflicker182's was a bit too Grateful Deadish to me, esp in the second half. But if we ever do that genre, submit it, you're a sure winner.

Yes, Chris, that reminded me strongly of "Country Music (A night in Hell)". But honestly traditional country music and bluegrass bass all sounds like that so, for the genre you win.