Poll: Which is the best funk bassline?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the best funk bassline?
Biehayn
9 33%
BoggaN
9 33%
grampastumpy
9 33%
Voters: 27.
They just keep coming...more Bass Wars in the form of funk

Remember we're judging original basslines. Vote for your favourite on the basis of how it fulfils the brief as a funk bassline and the quality of the writing and playing. Recording quality is NOT to be taken into account.

Entrants are:

Biehayn
BoggaN
grampastumpy

Poll will close in a week so get listening and voting!
haha not going well so far, I will be happy if I get one vote xD
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
Quote by BoggaN
haha not going well so far, I will be happy if I get one vote xD

There have only been two votes so far - chill out. The poll has a week to run and anyone can win.
whata oO, argh!
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Fender acoustic

Line6 POD HD500
hmm maybe try it on another computer or something... But hopefully it will work soon.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Fender acoustic

Line6 POD HD500
not allowed I guess? xD
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Fender acoustic

Line6 POD HD500
Biehayn - I liked your peice. It was nice and had a decent flow to it, you stuck to classic funk shapes and got good grooves going with your finger style showing you dont need to S&P to be funky! Timing was a little questionable at a couple of points but very good so far. Lovin' the breakdown too. Now I just gotta listen to the other peices.

BoggaN - your peice was also good and had an alright flow to it and well worked on the tempo, keeping it steady even without a backing track. I wasnt a fan of the guitar (at least I think it's guitar) over the top but it kept the main bassline from being too repetitive. The transition into the slap was less than perfect and perhaps you could have omitted this phrase from the peice? Good work overall.

grampastumpy - nice one, I enjoyed this song probably the most, it had a nice structure to it and I liked both your fingerstyle and S&P. One thing I didn't particually like was the rests all over the place to bring you back into a more regular time sig. It could have been very interesting if you hadn't included these. Probably a very good bassline behind a band!

Now to decide - well I really cant choose, but I'm gonna have to go with... stumpy's!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
It was a distorted bass, and I cant slap, I just did something slap like =)
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Fender acoustic

Line6 POD HD500
Beihayn- Nice groove, but I didn't really feel the defining feature of funk: sixteenth notes. It seemed very 8th note based to me. In my opinion it didn't sound all that funky, I'm not sure what it was, but if I heard it right off I wouldn't say funk. There was also some major time issues. But, like I said, good groove and sound, but just not quite tight or funky enough for my tastes.

BoggaN- Excellent groove, the 16th note syncopation really got me good, I liked that aspect of it. The basic bassline is great. The "melodious(?)" portion I wasn't too into. It seemed to lose the groove a bit, but valiant effort trying to bring something different into the song.

Grampastumpy- Pretty decent groove, again the sixteenth notes were pretty nice. The part where the bass moves away from the original line the song seems to lose it's way for a bit, but then gets back the lovely sixteenth note feel I love so much. The slapping went a little rough but it was an okay way to change up the song a bit.

One tip I give to anyone reading: there is no need to put slap in a funk song. It's not compulsory, none of your songs really needed it.

In the end, I think grampa's was the superior song.
I have to go with Biehayn on this one. His piece was simply the most dynamic IMO. It had a great groove, as has been said. Also, the transition from finger to slap and back again was well-done. Overall, you just sold your piece to me more than the other two. You get my vote.

However, I will reiterate what others have said - 'twas a bit sloppy. Felt like you were trying to go a bit faster than you could quite handle. Got to get them chops up, man!
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
One tip I give to anyone reading: there is no need to put slap in a funk song. It's not compulsory, none of your songs really needed it.
lol, I know about the slapping, it's just that when it said "Entries due Friday" I wasn't entirely sure which Friday was intended and was thus a little pressed for time. It's an easy way to create some "filler".
Last edited by grampastumpy at Mar 17, 2008,
Quote by grampastumpy
lol, I know about the slapping, it's just that when it said "Entries due Friday" I wasn't entirely sure which Friday was intended and was thus a little pressed for time. It's an easy way to create some "filler".

+1 a good way to change a riff
Funk for me is all about the groove, and BoggaN had the groove on this round. You stuck your neck out on the... "solo" and was rewarded with a swift kick in the *ss, but I still think it held a nice groove. The other songs, had a lot of nice ideas in them, but I really got into the groove of Bogga's.

Biehayn was my second choice - excellent use of fingerstyle to define the funk.

Grampastumpy came in third, nice playing, but I just liked the other two better. Your slapping and popping was A O.k though!
Biehayn - The beginning sounded a bit choppy to me - don't know if it's because of the player or not. Also, when you transitioned to the slapping, you seemed to mess up a bit. Pretty good groove overall though.

BoggaN - The distorted bass part was weird, TBH. Overall, you maintained rhythm and groove, but it could have been more dynamic, IMO.

grampastumpy - First of all, I love your tone. You had a good song, solid structure, and nice groove.

Stumpy is my choice.
Is voting for yourself allowed? :P
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Fender acoustic

Line6 POD HD500
Seems this group is the closest call so far

I went with BoggaN; to me it was the most memorable and the main groove was excellenty exectued, good timing and no slips. Solo was a bit dissonant in parts, but overall, a good piece
This is so close... Hope there is no tie for me like last time. This seems like a reoccurring thing for me haha.
1. grampastumpy
2. Biehayn
3. BoggaN

this one was really hard to decide. good entries by all 3.
grampastumpy's was well played and had more of a funky feel.< skills
Biehayn's was really good, but had more of a hip-hop feel. nice groove.
BoggaN's was a good groove but got a little redundent, after a while.
all 3 are better than i could have done.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Mar 23, 2008,
LOL, its a tie xD
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Fender acoustic