I'm thinking of doing some upgrades to my Squier Strat:
- new gold hardware (tremolo block, Kluson tuners, jack plate, etc.)
- new Premium Alnico Strat pickups from guitarfetish.com
- tortoise shell pickguard SSS
- and a complete rewiring with new pots, etc. (250K)

That'll cost me around $160 in total.

A new MIM Fender Stratocaster is about, $400-500? I'm not sure, I haven't stepped foot in a store for a while. BTW, I'm in Canada.

So, what would sound better (I hear the pickups from guitarfetish rival the custom shop 54's, etc.), the modded Strat or a Fender?

(The Squier has been repainted already, btw, shell white.)
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
for the squire, replace the pickups, knobs, bridge, neck, oh and body
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
I was going to replace everything BUT the body and neck.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
if you want a good project to keep you busy, mod the squier.

but personally, i'd just get the MIM fender, it just seems like too much work to mod a squier that much.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
It says you've already got a few Fenders, so personally I'd mod the Squier. Gives you a new challenge, and it's cheaper.
Yeah, modding doesn't sound bad and could be a fun experience, but I'm concerned about which would play and sound better.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

I'm going to play a few today, see how they feel.
But what pots would I want for a substantial increase in quality in my Squier?

Uhm, double post, because the post I just read disappeared
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

I'd go with the MIM Strat, squire necks are inferior, the bodies are mostly made of agithas which is junk and even with new pickups it's never gonna sound all that great.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
get the MIM... save some money and mod that one after some years!
Since you have a few good guitars already, I'd mod the Squier. It's never going to play awesome though.
MIM it is then, I'll just replace them with the pickups I originally wanted to put in the Squier.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Once you put the parts on the Squier, you'll have a guitar that probably plays as well as the MIM for less cash, plus it will have better hardware.
I'm quite concerned about the neck though, I do want something that feels great and lets my fingers move fast and accurately.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Quote by djszkoda
I'm quite concerned about the neck though, I do want something that feels great and lets my fingers move fast and accurately.

Does it play fine now?

Also, I just noticed you mentioned GFS pickups... not worth it. They may barely be ahead of the pickups in it now, and that isn't saying much. The Fender Custom shop pickups on the other hand KILL.
I guess it's alright, nothing on my American made though.

So the GFS I suggested aren't much better than the one's found in a MIM Strat huh?
Well, then that blows my whole point of customizing my Strat, I think I'll get that MIM. It's really a backup for gigs or lead for some. Probably will get it in HSS though.

Do they sell MIM Strats with tortoise pickguards and in white? I hope so.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

You shouldnt let one opinion sway your entire reasoning for a project...i would check out the GFS Pickup reviews on Harmony Central to get more input on the quality of their pickups.
I did, and they said they do match up to Custom Shop pickups.
But the build quality of a MIM Strat must be far superior than a Squier.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

If your squier is a solid wood body then I'd keep the squier but get a pro setup and better pickups then Guitar fetish. If your squier has a plywood body then I'd get the MIM.
Not taking any online orders.
I think it's real wood, although I could be wrong.

But I think in the end the MIM would be the better value.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

^that depends on what real wood they use. Lots of squiers use alder. If your squier is alder then after a pro setup it'll play better than the MIM. If your squier is agathis then the MIM is probably a better value.
Not taking any online orders.
Seeing as you already have a MIA Strat, I'd say Squier modding is the best and more fun too.

Get it pro setup, fret dressed, perhaps get the fingerboard edges rolled, and get a nice new set up pups, and a tremolo with a high-mass Steel block. Preferably one of GFS' Wilkinson Vintage-style ones if you're getting it all from there.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Fun factor is a component, but really another thing is that I have a pretty large gig in a month or so, and I want a guitar I can take without it getting stolen (already lost my old MIA) so I want something to sound good and play good without breaking the bank, so to speak.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.