So i'm very new to electric guitar. played only acoustic for about 8 years. got my first electric (American Fender Deluxe Strat) and amp (peavey classic 30). My question is probably laughable for everyone who has been playing electric for a while. How do I get a distortion sound out of my peavey classic 30? I know I can use the foot switch to change between channels but i dont have a clue how to set up each channel differently and more so distortion.

What I'm trying to do is be able to play a song such as Say It Aint So by Weezer where it's clean guitar then distortion for the chorus and then back and forth. I want to be able to get that sound and switch it mid song back and forth. Can I do this with just my amp? or do I need some add on?

Thanks.
well to be honest, i dont blame you, the peavey classics do have a slightly more complicated distortion channel than ure average amp.

On your amp you should have three dials labelled Volume, Pre and Post (this is what i have on my classic 50 so if its not the same just shout). First you need to flick the switch labelled as Lead - Normal to the left (on to the Lead setting). The Pre knob is what is known as Pre amp gain and the Post knob is the amp gain. The pre amp gain will add the main distorted sound and the post gain will add flavour.

I have my settings on Pre - 10 Post - 4 Volume - around two or three which will give u a relatively thick blues distortion. Dont turn up the Post Pre and Volume knobs all up too much at the same time, this is a pretty loud amp
switch the channles
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Atreideslegend
well to be honest, i dont blame you, the peavey classics do have a slightly more complicated distortion channel than ure average amp.

On your amp you should have three dials labelled Volume, Pre and Post (this is what i have on my classic 50 so if its not the same just shout). First you need to flick the switch labelled as Lead - Normal to the left (on to the Lead setting). The Pre knob is what is known as Pre amp gain and the Post knob is the amp gain. The pre amp gain will add the main distorted sound and the post gain will add flavour.

I have my settings on Pre - 10 Post - 4 Volume - around two or three which will give u a relatively thick blues distortion. Dont turn up the Post Pre and Volume knobs all up too much at the same time, this is a pretty loud amp

Did what you said and I can definetly get some decent distortion with pre 10, post 4, volue 2-3.....now the only problem is when I change channels the distortion channel is sooooo much louder than the clean channel. What do I have to do to get a good distortion level but keep the overall sound volumes simliar? (if that makes sense)
now turn that the other channel up try that
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
now turn that the other channel up try that

How do I turn that channel up?
Quote by kllawre210
Did what you said and I can definetly get some decent distortion with pre 10, post 4, volue 2-3.....now the only problem is when I change channels the distortion channel is sooooo much louder than the clean channel. What do I have to do to get a good distortion level but keep the overall sound volumes simliar? (if that makes sense)

yeah basically you have to find an equilibrium between the normal channel volume and the master volume knob which is on the right. Mine is on normal volume - 3 and master volume - 4 but i think it might depend on the volume output of your guitar. You'll just have to fiddle about to get it right
Lower the Post Gain of the drive channel. Post gain = volume of Drive channel, Pre Gain = amount of drive of Drive channel.
Oh and remember you need to depress the Channel Select button on the Amp for your footswitch to work.
Thanks everyone I think I have figured it out.

One last quick question....anyway to make the transition from distortion to clean more smooth. instead of a reallllllly obvious change when i step on the foot pedal and the dist. goes away.
An effects pedal will solve that problem. A delay pedal to be specific. And if your amp has it, add a little reverb.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
An effects pedal will solve that problem. A delay pedal to be specific. And if your amp has it, add a little reverb.

I have both reverb on the amp and a DD-6 delay pedal....how do i use that pedal to smoothen the transition? thanks
The button that says "boost" is actually the lead channel. According to the manual >.>