Here's the story, I found a Bass I liked, but to get the finish I wanted we had to request a transfer from another store. When the bass arrived, it had a bad B-string and dead batteries (Peavey Millenium AC BXP 5). He was putting on a new B-string when I arrived to claim it, and he said the neck looked find and every thing played fine.

When I got it home it was fine. Next day, I couldn't get any sound out of the amp. After some basic trouble shooting, he hadn't clipped the batter connections on fully, so they were intermittant (How hard is it to change 2 9-volt batteries). Anyway, after a few days, I started getting some fret Buzz 2-3 frets on the higher strings. Which then spread to other strings and got worse.

I'm assuming this is a combination of changing 1 new string, and leaving the other 4 older, and he probably didn't install the same gage of string.

So my plan is to install a new set of strings on all 5, then trouble shoot the fret buzz.

My Question:

How long should I let things settle between changing the strings and starting to mess with the action and possibly a Minor truss rod correction ( already got the how to out of the Bass FAQ).

Edit: I should mention that the bass was a display model at the original store.
i would have them do it.

but if you want to change strings, make sure choose the correct gauge, depending on where the buzz is (frets and strings)
and to minimize setting changes you might want to swap one string at a time.

to answer your other question, you should wait until the strings hold a tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah, they're not touching my baby again.

I'm putting on a full set of strings with the gage I plan on playing. And I'll set it up from there. Changing one string at a time (of unknown gage to unknown gage) is what got me here. I'll know what I install, and from there I can keep it the same.

edit: It took at least two days for the neck to respond to the new string, so waiting a few hours from re-stringing to set-up adjustments doesn't make sense.
Last edited by justpucky at Mar 17, 2008,
On a standard double bass, to change strings, you loosen all of the strings gradually as to not give the precious neck any undue pressure, and when you put the new strings on, the same thing... tighten the strings equally.

So with your new 5 stringer, try to keep the amount of tension equal accross the strings while taking them off and on. I probably made it sound confusing, but it is a bit easier...

Also, your doing a great job finding out what is wrong with your bass and how to fix it, But I recommend getting a friend involved in it, just in case. I've been playing bass for four years now, and I refuse to tinker with the truss rod or the saddles, even though I know how to do it. I just love my bass too much to hurt it through some freak accident.
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster