http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn8FKyJEYOk

^ At end of this 25-second clip, Alexi does a sort of heavy vibrato on the B-string. It looks like he's only using his index finger and rotating his wrist very quickly. Is that all there is to it? Normally I like to use my middle or ring finger to vibrato notes, but how can I learn to use this type of wrist-rotating vibrato (that Alexi uses at the end of the solo) well?
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Mar 17, 2008,
You just hold the note and wiggle your wrist back and forth. It comes with practice. I usually do this with my index finger and applying vibrato... I use more of an up and down vibrato with my middle and ring fingers though.

Just work at it a bit and you will get it.
Not too bad...you have video of it you should be able to figure it out. Just put your first finger there and just kinda test out wrist rotation til it sounds right.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
no I think he's using his middle finger. He uses his index finger to support his middle finger.
Alright thanks.

Another question - when using this sort of wrist-rotating vibrato with the index finger, do you guys rotate downward or upward? I guess it doesn't really matter, but I was just curious.

gibder - I thought the same thing at first, but then I tested it out on my own guitar, and with the note he's playing and the visual placement of his index and middle finger on the guitar, he had to have been using his index finger.