ok ive been playing for a while now and i think ive stalled a bit in creativity.
i need help wiht like learning new chords and difrrent picking patterns, new melodies to incorporate into my playing, right now i sound garagge/grungy/punkish.
thanks
oh and i play on the clean channel alot
what do you suggest i learn im not shooty with my playing i alsways go up and down the neck play chords all the time at least practice 2-3 hours a day for the past 10 months
Quote by the-kid66(2)
what do you suggest i learn im not shooty with my playing i alsways go up and down the neck play chords all the time at least practice 2-3 hours a day for the past 10 months

Don't try to learn any new things; that won't help that much, listen to as much different music as possible, that will give you more new ideas than any new scale or chord ever can.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Don't try to learn any new things; that won't help that much, listen to as much different music as possible, that will give you more new ideas than any new scale or chord ever can.

+ 1

if creativity is the issue, focus on it from that perspective. Learn / listen to something new, have fun doing it, and see where it takes you.
Or, you could try just messing with your sound. If you play clean all the time, try distortion, try delay, try phase shifting, try anything to change the sound of your guitar. It works for me, even though I usually only play around with EQ and drive. Once I started doing this, I had ideas out the ying-yang, I wrote like 4 or 5 songs in one week, which was the first time I had written anything ever (been playing 3 years). Playing around with your sound will open up tons of possibilities, you'll hear things you never heard in your own playing before, and you'll experiment.

To me, the notion of learning more chords and scales to be more creative is kinda silly. I started to try that a while back, and pretty soon you realize that, unless you get extremely exotic, you're really just playing extensions of what you already know. There's a fairly good chance you'll wind up spending your time learning scales that don't really take your playing anywhere, and don't help you reach the goals you want to.

You just need to set some kind of goal here, something like "I will write one riff a day." It doesn't need to be awesomely rockin' sweet, it just needs to be something new. Eventually you'll have to hit an idea that you like, and along the way you'll have gained some new ideas and perspectives on how to get sounds you want.

Writing music can be goal oriented, even if people don't want to admit it. It's not a totally spontaneous process, at least, it doesn't have to be. Granted, you'll write some stuff that sounds nearly identical, and some stuff that doesn't sound that great, but when you do you'll learn, you'll learn how to make similar things different, and what to stay away from, and what to go towards.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
I hit walls ALL the time. I'm in rut right now. And there's only one surefire cure to guitarist's block. Get yourself up and around some good musicians and players ASAP. If that's absolutely impossible, go see whatever live event you can. It can be a concert, live dinner music, something at a local church...whatever! Seeing/playing with other people is THE CURE.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination