Poll: Licensed Floyd Rose vs. Ibanez Edge III
Poll Options
View poll results: Licensed Floyd Rose vs. Ibanez Edge III
Licensed Floyd Rose
15 65%
Ibanez Edge III
8 35%
Voters: 23.
thinking about a restoring a beat ibanez s540 and it needs a new trem among other things. Now, i've heard damn near nothing but bad things about the edge III but will a LFR be any better?

EDIT: forgot to mention that i don't want to pay more than $100 for a new trem so the edge pro, lo-pro, and ZR (can't find any of those anyway) are out. How much is an original FR?
Last edited by Kwesi at Mar 17, 2008,
rofl mad quick response but a kahler would take too much work for me to put in.
nah use the edge III man its the best! Joe Satriani has them on his guitars and his always seem to be perfectly in tune during live shows and well he uses the whammy bar a lot lol
Edge III is made from weak materials so the knife edge wears out fast.

I say get a ZR if possible. Otherwise get an OFR, NOT a LFR.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by leftylikejimi
nah use the edge III man its the best! Joe Satriani has them on his guitars and his always seem to be perfectly in tune during live shows and well he uses the whammy bar a lot lol

must...resist......urge to sig

neither are good trems, but im pretty sure S's come with ZR trems which are great
Quote by leftylikejimi

No, the Satriani signature model (JS1200, the actual one) has an Edge Pro. It's much better.
Quote by stephen_rettie
must...resist......urge to sig

read my mind.

LFR is the lesser of the two evils here...
Quote by gregs1020
read my mind.

i as more referring to him thinking satch uses an edge 3
Depends what LFR, but the good ones are often the same price as an OFR. I also read somewhere that an OFR is an almost direct drop in replacement for an Edge III.

Edge III is teh suck. Just so you know.
I did tons of research on this subject when working on my project guitar, and this is what I found out:

When it comes to the Floyd Style Tremolo, the best are: Gotoh Floyd Rose, Kahler Floyd Rose, The ORIGINAL Edge, and of course Original Floyd Rose.

I got the Gotoh Floyd Rose. Why? Because it costs around $150 on ebay, is made out of hardened steel, and has the double locking features. Put simply it's the best tremolo for the price.

I think the Kahler Floyd Rose is just as good, but it's way more expensive. Same goes for the original Edge, and I think Edge Pro.

Original Floyds are fine, but the ones mentioned above are better.

Most if not all other Licensed Floyd Rose Trems are pot metal junk.

Quote by leftylikejimi

Edge Three and I think Edge Two, are total pot metal garbage (not sure, about Two, but I think so). One of the main complaints about the Edge Three is that it constantly goes out of tune.
Quote by stephen_rettie
i as more referring to him thinking satch uses an edge 3

Was right there with you, it was very hard to resist, got a good chuckle when I read it and knew someone was going to address that...

Still voting on the LFR as better of the two...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

This. You're choosing between two crappy trems. You're really better off saving a bit for an OFR. It'll save you time and a whole lot of pissed-off in the long run.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.