As the name suggests. I want to put my looping pedal in the effects loop, will it suck tone? Also how do you mod something to true bypass. I just got a new amp, and now realize I need to replace all my pedals cause they suck out the tone I just bought. Mainly my looping pedal (digitech jamman) and my WD7. I wanna check out a buddawah and a fulltone deluxe. Are they both good for metal, funk, and rock? I need versatility, and true bypass .
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
Dont really know about the Fulltone and Budda for metal but they're good for rock and definitely good for funk.

Should probably go to the Ultimate Wah Thread for more info.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
^thanks, what about the looper and the effects loop, and TB modding?
My Youtube Vids

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Alot of pedals cant be modded to truebypass. If they have the big head metal switch sometimes they can be modded depending on how they put it together inside. So you can look at the kit pedals from BYOC they are really nice and true bypass. Or shop for name brand pedals with the bypass. I dont know any looper pedals with truebypass. I have seen a place that makes a strip with switches so you can take pedals in and out of your loop they make em with how ever many loops you want.
True by pass is not nearly as important as you think it is, and can actually be harmful in a long signal chain.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
+1
Also, non-true bypass dosent nesecarily mean it will suck tone.
My stuff:
Fender Tele 60's Reissue
Schecter Blackhawk
Vintage V300 acoustic
Yamaha RB170 Bass

Peavey Classic 30 amp

Boss SD-1, DOD Grunge, Guyatone PS-010 Compressor, Marshall SV-1, Vox V847, Zoom G2, Line6 Echo Park
^K, well I do know the wd7 sucks tone, as it blatantly does with my amp. I haven't tried the looper yet so we'll see. Does it go better in the effects loop or in the input?
My Youtube Vids

Look at something like a Lehle D.Loop or a Radial Loopbone. These are boxes with two true bypass loops that allow you to bypass a pedal or series of pedals altogether without having to mod your pedals. The Radial is a quality piece of work, but the Lehle is indestructable (really) and has a switchable buffer onboard.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
^how much are they? Thanks btw, also does a looper go better in the effects loop or in the input?
My Youtube Vids

Quote by Erich yeung
^how much are they? Thanks btw, also does a looper go better in the effects loop or in the input?

I'd put the looper as the very last thing.

Btw, are you sure there is not some sort of problem with your Jamman? I've found most Digitech pedals to have rather decent bypass.
I meant should I put it in the effects loop out the back of my amp, or in between the guitar and the input? Which sounds better? And I havent tried my jamman out with my new amp so I'll see how the bypass is.
My Youtube Vids

The very last thing is the very last thing is the very last thing... If you are using an amplifier with an effects loop then the place for the very last thing is is just before the FX return.

For example, lets say that the looper was the very first thing in the chain, right after the guitar. You record a part, then you want to play another part over this. As you kick in different pedals or change settings, then these effects/setttings will obviously be applied to the recorded loop also. On the other hand if you have the looper last, then you can switch effects in and out, and don't have to worry about these effects doing anything to the recorded loop, for example when recording a rhythm part and stomping in an overdrive for a solo.

Of course sometimes it makes sense to have it first as well, if for example you want something to play continuously while you tweak settings to find a new sound.

Have fun and experiment with it.
A friend is making me an A/B channel selector. I basically run like this:

Channel A: Guitar > compressor > OD > amp > Gsharp > speakers
Channel B: Guitar > compressor > OD > amp > speakers

the OD and compressor don't suck any tone (audibly) but my G-sharp does. I simply put that in a loop on its own using the A/B selector...essentially making it true bypass.

What I'm trying to say is that instead of modding individual pedals to make them true bypass, you could just make a by passable loop with several pedals you can bypass all at once.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Archeo Avis
True by pass is not nearly as important as you think it is, and can actually be harmful in a long signal chain.

if you run a buffered bypass pedal at the front of the chain, the signal turns from high impedance to low impedance. this allows the tone to not be killed in a long, true bypass signal chain.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by Archeo Avis

explain?
Quote by Horlicks
explain?

Yeah, I've heard this before and wondered about it. What is a buffer, and how does it improve the tone?
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Simply put, when you use long cables, or lots of effects with cables between them, or just low quality cables, then your tone will change, mostly by loss of treble. Good buffers are meant to help you with this problem. Usually you will want to have pedal with a good buffer (such as a Boss pedal, or in my case, the Korg DT-10 tuner) as the first effect your guitar plugs into. A buffer will not give out a signal which sounds identical to what came in of course, but it is still often worth it.

The tone sucking buffers people often talk about, are from when you use too many pedals with a buffer, and/or when the buffers are poorly designed (Dunlop/MXR).