Hey, anyone have any tips for being able to jam well? I can never think of anything to play and just end up standing there like an idiot. I know basic theory - scales, modes etc... but none of it seems to help
try a 12 bar blues riff and trade solos around the group. It works for me
Up the Punx!
Quote by WhiteStripesIII
Pick a key with who you're jamming with and stay in it. Just improv over it or play chords in that key. Thats all I find there is to it.

Im jamming with a drummer, I don't have to worry about being in the same key as everyone else.

Id find it alot easier if there was another guitarist or w/e, but it's just me
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
Im jamming with a drummer, I don't have to worry about being in the same key as everyone else.

Id find it alot easier if there was another guitarist or w/e, but it's just me

no its really hard for a guitarist to jam with a drummer, get another guitarist/bassist
First off, know what the other people are doing. If they're playing chords, then solo over it, and vice versa.
Second, Know what key they're in, that's what's gonna keep everybody together.
Third know what each scale sounds like. Know that the pentatonic is blues-y, Phrygian is dark and Spanish sounding, etc.
Fourth, when you solo, instead of playing random notes, try to come up with a melody line or something to work AROUND. If you follow something basic and then add flair, it will sound much better than a jumbled mess.
Fifth, when you actually get out and do it, it gets a lot easier.
Quote by mdawg24
First off, know what the other people are doing. If they're playing chords, then solo over it, and vice versa.
Second, Know what key they're in, that's what's gonna keep everybody together.
Third know what each scale sounds like. Know that the pentatonic is blues-y, Phrygian is dark and Spanish sounding, etc.
Fourth, when you solo, instead of playing random notes, try to come up with a melody line or something to work AROUND. If you follow something basic and then add flair, it will sound much better than a jumbled mess.
Fifth, when you actually get out and do it, it gets a lot easier.

Read up, it's only me and drummer. I don't have to worry about what key im in
it's quite easy to just barre some kinda minor 7 chord like a Em7 and make some rythm with it to create some kinda funky stuff. or you could just set from a power chord and try something basicm just moce the same shape up and down and play with ryhtm.

RYTHM IS UNDERRATED!
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Basically he just says "play something" and waits for me to start before coming in... and I can never think of anything
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
Read up, it's only me and drummer. I don't have to worry about what key im in
That can be all sorts of fun!! If you can't think up of what to play instantly with your drummer, let him start up the beat...then get into this rhythm, tap your feet, feel it. Then just use your voice, try humming a guitar part or tapping/clapping/humming a cool "beat" for your guitar rhythm. Then just lay into it! Hope it helps.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by stephen_rettie
no its really hard for a guitarist to jam with a drummer, get another guitarist/bassist

I jam best with a drummer, and I'm a guitarist.

Tips? Just jam with other people. The more you do it, the better you'll get - there's no real secret to it. Just keep at it.
Quote by KryptNet
That can be all sorts of fun!! If you can't think up of what to play instantly with your drummer, let him start up the beat...then get into this rhythm, tap your feet, feel it. Then just use your voice, try humming a guitar part or tapping/clapping/humming a cool "beat" for your guitar rhythm. Then just lay into it! Hope it helps.

Yeah, probably a good idea. Ill try that
Quote by theguitarplayin
haha dude
play a Em7 and... at this point its all about your picking hand. jamming dont have to be a lot of chords or notes. OR solos. just rhythm.

That's kinda the problem, I can never think of rhythms.. they all end up sounding cheesy and crap
learn white stripes songs and start coming up with your own variations of the chord progressions/riffs jack uses
On a side note...

What are these types of chords called?

e -------
B - 3 ---
G - 4 ---
D - 4 ---
A - 2 ---
E ------

Is that a Bm something?

Sorry for the messy tab
Quote by strat0blaster
I jam best with a drummer, and I'm a guitarist.

Tips? Just jam with other people. The more you do it, the better you'll get - there's no real secret to it. Just keep at it.

Yeah me too. I guess it has to do with the fact that my drummer is really good at just coming up with beats and stuff. Also we just play really well together. I suppose not all drummers are that good.
The drummer I play with is pretty amazing, he comes up with really cool stuff. Im just trying to think of cool sounding chord progressions to use
Use your power-chords. They can pretty much move anywhere. And also you can always fall back on your dominant chords. like A7 D7 E7 D7. They can be used similarly like power-chords. Another tip: Once you're close to coming up with something OR you have something in your head that you want to transcribe to guitar: Tell the drummer to stop(something easier said then done with drummers ) and give yourself time to figure it out. Then start it up again.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
I have the same problem as you, and my drummer friend and I have been jamming forever. In that circumstance, you have to come up with some riffs on your own time and bring them into practice, and work with those. Without another guitarist or basist, you have to rely entire on your own creativity for ideas, and that can be difficult to force on cue in the middle of a jam. If you have something ready ahead of time, not only can you just jump right in and start playing, but odds are your own riff will give you the little creative push so that you can expand it into a whole song while jamming.
Squier Strat
B-52 AT-212 100w tube
Boss Metal Zone

Amateur philosopher and physicist
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
Ok, but I try to stay away from power chords, they bore me ****less
Beggars can't be choosers.

Your best bet would be to start with just one chord, played with an interesting rhythm. Let the drummer get comfortable with it, and let yourself get comfortable with it, than embellish on it. Try momentarily shifting to another chord and moving back to the original one; try this with several other chords until you find another one that makes a good change to the original. Keep on embellishing, taking particular care to keep your rhythms interesting. Interaction with what the drummer is playing is key here. Once he settles into his groove, try to alter what you are playing to fit more closely with what he's playing. If he changes things up, don't get left behind. If you change things up, don't let him get left behind.

This kind of awkwardness is very normal. Once you get over the first hump, it should get easier. If it doesn't, you two might just not have the musical chemistry needed to play together.
Quote by titopuente
Beggars can't be choosers.

Your best bet would be to start with just one chord, played with an interesting rhythm. Let the drummer get comfortable with it, and let yourself get comfortable with it, than embellish on it. Try momentarily shifting to another chord and moving back to the original one; try this with several other chords until you find another one that makes a good change to the original. Keep on embellishing, taking particular care to keep your rhythms interesting. Interaction with what the drummer is playing is key here. Once he settles into his groove, try to alter what you are playing to fit more closely with what he's playing. If he changes things up, don't get left behind. If you change things up, don't let him get left behind.

This kind of awkwardness is very normal. Once you get over the first hump, it should get easier. If it doesn't, you two might just not have the musical chemistry needed to play together.

Nice post and I will try that...

I really need to find some good chord changes. Im into melancholic / dark sounding chords... I just need to find out how to get the sounds I like really.
Honestly, for some of the song I wrote, I would randomly screw up my tuners, so I am completely uyn tuned, then I would play around and find a cool riff, then I find what notes i hit and go back into regular tuning. I swear it sounds dumb, but when you find something that sounds cool, you will be like..... yeah.
Quote by Muphin
Maybe if the Jews were kind to Hitler the holocaust wouldn't have happened.

Hahaha
Pentatonics, modal pentatonics, etc. I find it much easier to solo and especially improv. using pentatonics, they're just so natural feeling. Try to resolve your licks and melody's. My problem is I can't always get it from my head to the fretboard the way I imagine it sounding in my head.
Do not concentrate on the finger for you will miss all the heavenly glory.
Quote by Bornlivedie UK

Think about the key so you will be prepared when you jam with others.