Page 1 of 3
In your opinions, is a person in their late 20's/early 30's too old to learn how to effectively play guitar?
no
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
WTF?

After a question like this, I definatly know you are too stupid to play guitar.

Ask mommy...
no, a 80 year old can learn guitar if they really want to
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
of course it's better if you start earlier, but it's never too late
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
It's too late when your fingers stop moving, before then it's all good xD
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
I started learning last year and I'm in my late 30's. Never too old in my opinion to start learning something new. I wish I had started years ago, but such is life.
It's easier to pick up when you are younger. But hey look at me. I've had a few false starts, one at 19, one at 28, now I'm 40. But I've been playing consistantly for the last 9 months and I've improved a great deal and plan to improve a great deal more over the next few years. Shoot, Les Paul is in his 90's and still playing shows. LOL
yup, when i was working at a music shop there was one guy who must have been in his 70's.. he was taking some starter lessons and loving it
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
There is a point where learning gets harder, I believe it's before puberty where your mind still learns new things easier. Beyond that point it doesn't matter if you start at 20 or 50, you're going to learn at the same speed, but playing will be harder as time moves on.

The only thing that's different from starting young and starting at an older age is when you start young, you will have more time to get better
My dad learned it when he was fifty. Don't ask why. He can't play very good, but he can play some things. Eitherway, at thirty you'll be fine learning it.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Its in your frame of mind, And this the cake of all stupid questions LOL.

Of coarse you can learn to play any "AGE"
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
You're never too old to learn anything. And I mean anything.

I have a good friend who's over 50 and learning guitar, learned a new song a few weeks ago. I learned to build and repair computers at 40, I'm trying to learn a bit about both electronics and camera repair now and making progress in both areas. The main holdup with cameras is tools and supplies, not learning ability. I learn new songs every time I join a band. I'm also re-learning flute, picked up a sax around 10 years ago and started over with it after 20 years without one...I'm 52. I'll stop learning the day they throw dirt over me. Learn something is my second favorite thing to do just barely preceded by playing guitar. Read is third.

Almost posted then realized, my grandfather learned to read after he had 3 or 4 kids in school. He was embarrased that they could read and he couldn't, so he grabbed up their books at night and taught himself to read. He ended up an excellent TV/radio (all tubes in those days) repair guy, through a mail order electronics course available in the 40's.

You're never too old to learn. Period.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
"Better late than never..."

/thread
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

Quote by Paleo Pete
You're never too old to learn anything. And I mean anything.

I have a good friend who's over 50 and learning guitar, learned a new song a few weeks ago. I learned to build and repair computers at 40, I'm trying to learn a bit about both electronics and camera repair now and making progress in both areas. The main holdup with cameras is tools and supplies, not learning ability. I learn new songs every time I join a band. I'm also re-learning flute, picked up a sax around 10 years ago and started over with it after 20 years without one...I'm 52. I'll stop learning the day they throw dirt over me. Learn something is my second favorite thing to do just barely preceded by playing guitar. Read is third.

Almost posted then realized, my grandfather learned to read after he had 3 or 4 kids in school. He was embarrased that they could read and he couldn't, so he grabbed up their books at night and taught himself to read. He ended up an excellent TV/radio (all tubes in those days) repair guy, through a mail order electronics course available in the 40's.

You're never too old to learn. Period.

that baught a tear to my eye
I've thought this a few times.

I started seriously playing when I was 21 and thought I was too old. I see all these 16 and 17 year old kids in bands that are just way better than me.

I'm decent but I've never been in a band, I'd like to, but sometimes I just think that by the time I get good enough to play shows... I'll be in my 30's... lol
Well, there can only be one first post so here's mine:

YES, you can be too old to learn the guitar effectively, depending on exactly what you mean by "effectively". This is a basic matter of physiology, how the brain learns and how it matures. Learning guitar is like learning a foreign language: If you start young enough, you'll learn to speak like a native. Start somewhat older, you'll have a slight accent. The older you start, the thicker your accent. If you're more than a few years past puberty, you will NEVER be able to attain what you could have reached if you'd started earlier.

But speaking with an accent, even a thick accent, doesn't mean you can't speak; only that you can never pass for a native. If your goal is just to communicate, you can achieve this at any age. And certainly there is no age restriction on enjoying the time you spend doing whatever you can.

A few years ago, for my 60th birthday, I bought myself an electric bass and decided to learn how to play. I've practiced 2-3 hours per day on it ever since. No, I have no illusions of becoming Victor Wooten or Chris Squire. And the fingers on my right hand don't work quite like they used to, so I use a pick. But as far as I'm concerned, I can play. I can jam with people and on simpler material I can hold my own. More than I could last year - I'm still not quite so old that I'm forgetting faster than I'm learning!

A couple years back, my wife decided to learn the guitar and join me. She's spent less time practicing, and nobody would call her a guitarist, but she's methodically learning the neck, and how to play chords like Dm7 in several places around the neck. I've spent some time working on guitar with her, and I'm getting better. NOT good. But better.

So the lesson is simple: Don't expect miracles, don't abandon hope, put in the time and make the most of what you've got; you can't start any younger than today. Get out there and play!
Keyword in his post, Effectively. You can still learn and get GREAT at an older age, but learning will be harder like he stated.. However he said that you will not be able to "Pass as a native". If you are really devoted I do not see why you couldn't get as good as you want to be (In a reasonable range, you probably wont be a Clapton or EVH. That doesn't mean you can't however).
dude its never too late to start. as long as you have the time to really stick with it, i dont see why you shouldnt give it a shot as long as you have even the slightest interest in playing. start now so you dont regret down the line when you realize you really wanted to learn
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by Ze_Metal
^ You can get too old. It will hurt to much to play guitar eventually.

Les Paul is in his 90's and still playing better than most people out there.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Les Paul is in his 90's and still playing better than most people out there.
Misses the point. Les Paul did not START when he was 90. If you learn two or three languages when you are a child, you will STILL speak them fluently when you are 90. If you start learning them when you are 30, you will never speak them fluently.

If you are really devoted I do not see why you couldn't get as good as you want to be
As I said, it has to do with the physiology of brain development. Kind of like growing a foot taller - you can want real real real hard, but beyond a certain age it ain't gonna happen.
Quote by phank
Misses the point. Les Paul did not START when he was 90. If you learn two or three languages when you are a child, you will STILL speak them fluently when you are 90. If you start learning them when you are 30, you will never speak them fluently.

No, he said that eventually you will be too old to play the guitar, not too old to start.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
If anyone says that say for exapmle: "Ohh over 20 is too old to learn guitar" is very narrow minded imo, its never too late, there is always time to learn, you might even get a little good too. Im 17 started playing bass 2 weeks ago.. I can still get very good in a few years if i put my mind to it Look at Steve Harris..
Quote by StratPat
****, nah I've never got anything like that, I just get 'YOU'VE WON THE MOTHERFUUCKIN LOTTERY IN IREELAND SEND ME UR DETAILS N U GET 10 000 000 DOLLLAAZZ"

But I'm sure some paid hitman wouldn't email that, and would have better grammar
Sigh. No, you're never too old to learn anything. The question is more complex. Developmental biology determined over a century ago (but it was known long before that, in general) that certain things MUST be learned by certain ages, after which the brain has "set up" too much to learn those things "effectively". We're talking degrees here.

If I pick up a guitar at 15 and practice like hell for a year, then in one year I will be MUCH better than if I pick up the guitar at 65 and practice the same amount. I will in fact be much better at 16 than I will EVER be if I start at 65.

This doesn't mean I'm not learning anything at 65. Only that what I learn comes slowly and plateaus quickly. Nor does it mean I should give up and not try. Half a loaf is better than nothing.
Technically there's no age limit as long as you can do with your fingers what you want. Musically however, people who start with an instrument early have a better ear for notes & music in general.
Quote by RCShadow
I started about 18 months ago and I'm 43...OMG! lol

Chris

No that's impossible!!! LOL

Good to see several others in the over 40 crowd here.
Quote by phank

As I said, it has to do with the physiology of brain development. Kind of like growing a foot taller - you can want real real real hard, but beyond a certain age it ain't gonna happen.

wow so many peple that know about the human brain, it may take longer to learn but i intend to proove that you are talking utter garbage as i never aged mentaly beyond twenty five. at any age some people are slow leaners and some pick it up straight away... you have to be dedicated and love what you are trying to learn.

most young people have to work, fnd a girl etc etc, i now have all the time in the world, i wasted two years playing online war games and could not understand why i sucked but i never put it down to old age lol, i reasoned that they must have faster computers and connections, so i started building my own computers and have three connected up now, my masterpiece is called the wizard sli with three top of the range graphic cards fastest connection i could get and online games became boring. as there was no challenge.

so if i suck in five years time i will blame the instruments and either buy a top of the range guitar or maybe even make one that i can play, because i refuse to believe that age has any bearing on how good you could become, with your silly attitude you are an old man now brother.
Page 1 of 3