I've been having problems with recording lately. My mic, a SM57, hardly picks up my amp. I turn the volume up, and i barely get anything. If I want it to be audible at all, I have to crank the output volume on my interface. So I cranked the volume up to 7 on my peavey classic 30, which is very loud (The walls began to shake around 3..), and still it barely picked up anything. When I first got the mic it picked up my amp fine. Any idea of what could be wrong? Nothing's set to the wrong thing on my interface, I've tried different USB ports, and i've moved my mic around. nothing has worked.
What interface are you using?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Have you tried it on both channels, and made sure it's set to mic?

Also try plugging in direct and switching over to instr and see if you get anything better.
Made up statistic
Have you tried it on both channels

yes

made sure it's set to mic?

it's set to "instrument", which is the setting for micing and lining in. i tried on both though.

Also try plugging in direct and switching over to instr and see if you get anything better

You mean like plug in my mic, and switch to instrument?
On the Fast Track Pro there is a button just above the GAIN knob for the preamp, it says Inst/Line. It should be set to Line (pushed in, sorry I said mic in the previous post). The pad button should be OUT.

To plug in your guitar directly set it to Inst (pushed out) and try and record a track that way. No pedals, just guitar. If you do get sound, go back and try another mic.
Made up statistic
[qutoe]
To plug in your guitar directly set it to Inst (pushed out) and try and record a track that way. No pedals, just guitar
yeah, i've done that quite a few times. it works fine that way

If you do get sound, go back and try another mic.

You mean like get a different mic?
If you have another mic or could borrow one yes. It sounds like its a mic problem. If both buttons for Inst and Pad are in the out position and you're not getting anything via the mic.

EDIT: Also try swapping cables?
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at Mar 17, 2008,
^okay, i'll try to borrow another sm57 a friend of mine uses.

the cable should be fine. it's a Monster, and i haven't used it that much..

I am getting sound though, it's just very faint.
I have an m audio fast track (not the pro) and I have the same problems when trying to pick up mic signal...the fast track has preamps however Im not sure just how good they are...I would recommend getting a preamp for your mic...fast track is a good interface however the pres cant be that great considering the price you pay for it.

The m audio DMP3 preamp is a good one for the price...around $150

Also some people use Art tube preamp which is cheaper but not as good...probably around $50 for that.

I have the fast track usb interface and im in the market for a preamp right now and everyone is telling me to get the m audio DMP3 on another recording forum...that recording forum is a bit more advanced so Im taking their advice and getting one.

The preamp can be used for the guitar as well and will make your sound that much better.
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
Last edited by D_Vincent at Mar 17, 2008,
Make sure you have the phantom power switch on the back switched on e.g. 48 ph. Power

EDIT: Also make sure the pad button isnt switched on and that you have pressed the button to select the line switch.
Last edited by Maddy! at Mar 18, 2008,
Why on earth is having Phantom Power relevant to an Sm57.

You might think it's not the problem, but you need to try a different cable.