hey ive been playing for around 3 years and just relised i have a bad habbit of only using downstrokes, its never affected my playing ability but i was wondering would it make a drastic improvement if i started using upstrokes too ?
GEAR

customised westfield strat soon to be HH
MIJ 68'reissue strat from 1996

bunch of boss pedals
Using upstrokes will double your picking speed, or halve your hand speed for the same rhythm. Play a chord using downstrokes only, then down and up for the same BPM. You'll notice how much slower your hand can go, so you can concentrate more on where you're putting your fingers. Alt-picking is highly recommended.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Playing for 3 years and only downstrokes? O.o what exactly did you play these years? XD
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
alternate picking will make things easier, but some songs(like metallica songs) are mostly done downpicking only, so it is a preferencem but lots of guitarists alternate pick
Quote by higgy30
would it make a drastic improvement if i started using upstrokes too ?

Yes, and you will be more accurate once you get used to it. I never thought about it and started doing it naturally.
so is it actually bad to not alternate pick. i can pick riffs with ease only downstroke, for example civil war even thought its easy but i can barley altenate pick it
GEAR

bunch of boss pedals
Quote by higgy30
so is it actually bad to not alternate pick. i can pick riffs with ease only downstroke, for example civil war even thought its easy but i can barley altenate pick it

Learning alternate picking will definately take your playing to a whole new level. It's not as hard as it sounds, just start easy out.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
im confused at how you didnt start alternate picking for 3 years...elaborate....

did you never feel the need or what?
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Definateley learn alternate picking, or at least economy picking. It'll help your rhythm alot.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
well ive completly taught myself and i never really needed to, as every riff i tried i could always pick it as fast as needed with downstrokes, but im starting to not be able to play really fast riffs now i suppose because of this
GEAR

bunch of boss pedals
Some songs require alternate picking to sound right for example high & dry sounds much better when alternate picking than when playing just downstrokes
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
I sympathise with your situation as did the same thing for about the same amount of time and yes, you really should start alternate picking, it seems like a pain in the arse at first but stick with it and you will improve no end
I didn't learn alternate picking for 5 years. You should definitley learn it, the stuff I play now just isn't possible without it.