The guy at L&M told me they have Russian and Chinese 12AX7's in stock. I know that people say the Chinese isnt that good, how about the Russian? Which ones are most likely to be rebranded Tung Sols?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
GT's are Chinese. Chinese tubes aren't bad per se; they are just inconsistent, but some Russian tubes (IE Sovtek) can be that way too.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I think Tungsols are russian but I woudln't know if GT are rebranded Tungsols. I wouldnt think so though.

They're rebranded Tung Sols and Sovteks, atleast thats what everyone on UG says =)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I have Groove tubes in my 5150 and they sound great.. I believe Jed from Strapping Young Lad uses them in his Mesa Boogie Dual Rec
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Im sort of leaning towards Groove Tubes anyways, considering MusiciansFriend is offering an amazing $54 shipping for 3 TungSols, which would be even more than the Tubes themselves.

Just the same question,

Russian or Chinese?

=)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I'd rather get the Russian ones because I'm russian myself and would rather support that but I reckon they are about the same quality wise.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by CJRocker
http://thetubestore.com/groovetubes.html

Should have all the info you need, plus they are great people to deal with; also I'm positive most Groove are Chinese; the really nice ones are from russia, but they are just remarked Sovtek.

Sounds good, but if how do they ship them out? Do they put them in foam molds to prevent shock/damage? Cause they ship with Canada Post to Canada, which would be inside a parcel most likely.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

All new tubes come from russia or china. The plants that made tubes in US and europe closed long long ago. Or you can get NOS "new old stock" which can be name brand stuff. I havent had to replace to many tubes the last ones I got were EH. And they came in a cardboard box. Dont know of any that come packed in foam. GT are just rebranded tubes and the price jacked up.
Quote by mike.h
They're rebranded Tung Sols and Sovteks, atleast thats what everyone on UG says =)

Yea my friend said the same thing. My amp blew up (yes, exploded with fire and smoke) and Carvin charges $250 to replace everything. I got GT instead of the regular ones tat came stock, but my friend said they they are just rebranded Russians. He says that people like JS and others use them cause of endorsements. I do believe there is some truth to that, but why settle for less to get tone you want.

Personally i think that GT are the ****. My 12AX7s and 6L6s are too. The amp sounds better than ever now.
Quote by Tackleberry
All new tubes come from russia or china. The plants that made tubes in US and europe closed long long ago. Or you can get NOS "new old stock" which can be name brand stuff. I havent had to replace to many tubes the last ones I got were EH. And they came in a cardboard box. Dont know of any that come packed in foam. GT are just rebranded tubes and the price jacked up.
o rly?

are JJs Russian or Chinese.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
o rly?

are JJs Russian or Chinese.

Aren't they Slovakian?
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Aren't they Slovakian?

Made in England i believe.....? Someone correct me. And what about the KTs?
JJ tubes are made in the slovak republic.
All mass-produced tubes made today come from the former USSR or china. The exception is groove tube 6l6s and El34s (maybe 6v6s?), which are made in the USA.
Theres plenty of articles out there where tubes come from. Which are the best and so on. You can't just answer if you don't really know the truth. Do some studying before you yap up.jeesh
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Since theres a bunch of tube experts here now,

How are the JJ 12AX7s compared to the EHX 12AX7s?

Im looking for a mellow and warm tube to balance out a Tung Sol in V1
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Since theres a bunch of tube experts here now,

How are the JJ 12AX7s compared to the EHX 12AX7s?

Im looking for a mellow and warm tube to balance out a Tung Sol in V1

JJ are the darkest of the preamp tubes. EH are not as dark but they are smooth and bassy. The JJ will probably be better to balance a tung-sol since the EQ overlap will be better- that is, the JJ will add more bass and lessen the treble, but the EH would just add bass. EH 12AX7s would drop the clarity a bit too much, I think. They would not attenuate the treble enough and you would have to EQ differently to drop the treble, and it would get muddy.
Quote by Roc8995
JJ are the darkest of the preamp tubes. EH are not as dark but they are smooth and bassy. The JJ will probably be better to balance a tung-sol since the EQ overlap will be better- that is, the JJ will add more bass and lessen the treble, but the EH would just add bass. EH 12AX7s would drop the clarity a bit too much, I think. They would not attenuate the treble enough and you would have to EQ differently to drop the treble, and it would get muddy.

Roc8995 FTW.
=)

How are the JJ's microphonic-wise?

This is the exact one im going for btw:
http://thetubestore.com/tesla12ax7.html
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

What amp is if for, by the way? Which power tubes are you using?
JJs are average for microphonics. Tung-sol or EH tubes are better in that department. The high-gain ones are a little more prone, but that is to be expected.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Mar 18, 2008,
With a vintage 30, you will want to roll off some of the high end to minimize the treble spike that speaker has. A tung-sol in V1 and two JJs in 2 and 3 should be just right. The JJ 6l6s will help as well, the stock sovtek 6l6s are very harsh.
Those are the correct tubes. However, if you don't have the amp yet, it may be a good idea to wait and play it before you get replacement tubes. If you want lower gain tubes or have a better idea of how you want the amp to sound, you can get the right tubes on the first try. Same goes for the speaker.
Quote by Roc8995
Those are the correct tubes. However, if you don't have the amp yet, it may be a good idea to wait and play it before you get replacement tubes. If you want lower gain tubes or have a better idea of how you want the amp to sound, you can get the right tubes on the first try. Same goes for the speaker.

I tried it already, the distortion was a bit thin and it lacked midrange. It was also a bit too dark for my tastes, but it seemed like the basis for my type of tone was there.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Last edited by mike.h at Mar 18, 2008,
GT's are either chinese, or rebranded Sovteks, I'd know cause three of them were in my amp.

The funny thing is that only one of them had a GT label.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
GT's are either chinese, or rebranded Sovteks, I'd know cause three of them were in my amp.

The funny thing is that only one of them had a GT label.

Manufacturers tend to just throw whatever they have in there. You probably just got 1 GT and some Chinese tubes.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Manufacturers tend to just throw whatever they have in there. You probably just got 1 GT and some Chinese tubes.

I pulled these fresh out of my blues juniorIII pre tubes.....the v1 has big GT logo n says vertcally 12axl7-r n other side says 12 03 made in russia.....the v2 has the big GT but says premium under the GT says same 12axl7-r but has 12 04 made in russia on the one side. So the only diff is the 12 03 doesn't say premium and that one said 1204 both made in russia
Several reputable pre and tube amp custom builders say the clock for JJ ran out. Several bad shipments to the US in the winter.
Groove Tubes rebadge JJ as well as Shuguang and Sovtek. IIRC the Chinese ones are 9th which are better than the Russian ones. The JJ's are the best though and sound like exactly what you are looking for. I wouldn't bother paying the extra to get GT12AX7S, just buy JJ branded ones. If it's a head buy a JJ ECC803 for V1 and JJ ECC83S for the other positions. If it's a combo stick JJ ECC83S everywhere.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm just quoting from some reputable boutique pre's and amps and guitar builder's. Brad Sarno from Sarno Music,Blackstar had a free shipment covered recall. So chinese tubes are better than russian????? JJ says they come from slovakia. After I bought my last blues jr after I registered the little combo for my preamp tap I received a registered package that came with my above mentioned GT's labeled 12ax7-r 1203 made in russia for V1 and a GT with the word premium under it saying 12ax7-r 1204 made in russia. They sent em for free with very detailed instructions and even proper disposal instructions for the JJ's I pulled. Apparently they only had this bad batch with their pre tubes now power. My sweetest combo ever was a Sylvania 12axl7wa in V1,RCA 7025 in V2 and 12au7 for reverb.
The 9th generation Chinese ones are better but not the earlier ones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So do any of these letters and numbers tell you guys anything about the pair I have from the blues junior III preamp. Are they any good. they both say made in russia....both have big orange GT logo both say 12axl7-r but the one that says 12 03 doesn't say premium under the GT logo like the one that has 12 04 on it. Ive even seen other identical BJ3's have exact same GT logo but it was all in Silver and Also said Fender in Silver too.
Just would like to see the noise and complete specs for these. I usually 64-67 AB768 voice these juniors just like orginal BJ's which few know r voiced identical and is the only other blackface AB768 with exact I mean exact voicing as the the 64-67 twin reverb. Since I harvest these puppies just for their single channel preamp with the cleanest fender tone that ever lived and throw that into a bridged to mono class A or A/B 1000 watts(min) @ 1 ohm tap into a vertical 4x12 russian birch stained open back cab containing the most poweful guitar speaker that ever lived. The 300 watt 57lb JBL E-120's.
I do use a little rocktron 300 watter hitting 2 JBL K-120's running at 8ohms seeing max of 150watts each for playing in the bedroom. The D,E,n K series JBL's with their famous aluminum dust cap and 4inch voice coil plus biggest response range by miles.
Allthis fantastic run of era's of D'sE's,nK's that JBL did even when JBL lost their supply of ceramic 50lb magnets to a trade embargo they came back immediately with the sweetest to the ears. The K series and that flexi mesh between the cone and the frame.(u spkr guys would know)that ruffled area. They don't fully open up until the spkr sees 80% of its rated wattage and broken in nice and sweet even as low as 55% of the rated wattage. Garcia stated that the E's would pop in 410 to 425 watt range when rated at 300. He did how ever say that a D the original even fender installed in the good days never seen one pass 200watts when rated at 100.
You guys probably think I'm nuts talkin about wattages in those ranges but there's a huge diff between crystal sparkly clean non clipping ultra sensitive low z impedance ouptput buffered dimarzio split and out of phase on purpose so that it turns two dp104's north coils hum cancelling when used as a combo with a 5way compared to a 1200 watt marshall stack. My 2 cents are to achieve the cleanest most thorough tone and add all ure dirt on after. Very rewarding especially you get to hear what a pedal is supposed to sound like.
Nothing beats a pup cavity with 3 back to back to back buckers that play in series(default)parallel and north or south selectables. Definately need 3 2p3t switches and nice opamp onboard buffer. Gibson especially makes no sense on 99% of their guitars there's no pup in the sweet spot duh the center strumming zone aka acoustic n strat sweet spot. You just have to wire them proper and position them flipped according for magnetic polarity. Fender avoided the not rocket since project by using mostly all single coils in all their guitars.
I just took a router to a not even played slash gold top and fitted it with 3 white digital emg's.....not sure model I don't use nor care for digital pups. My axe needs 24 frets 25.5 nut scale and fully open copper lined pup cavity. I just fitted a piezo wire drilled through an SG saddle retainer base. Installed a treble bleed and a 20k blend knob LOG reverse. I can just just add this little hint of a Alvarez/Yari playin in the distance so fricken sweet of a hobby is electric guitars. Next comes the midi jack.