I was wondering what are some good 'dark' sounding chords, or even scales that i could use? I'm really into black/death metal right now (Shocker huh?) and just trying to fiddle around with different styles and sounds. Any help would be great, thanks!

EDIT:
I try using regular power chords, augmented, and dimished chords, but they all still sound to 'light'
Try inverted power chords. Fifth, root, fifth. Preferably in an low register
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
Phrygian mode is good - anything with a b2 really. The right rhythm is important. Try down-tuning but I guess you're doing that already. As for chords I don't see how you can get much darker than diminished intervals/chords without sounding jazzy.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
if you want to get darker sounding riffs , try to do what the guitarist from Lamb of God does. in guitar world magazine he wrte an article about his riff writing technique. he calls it riff farming. he uses drop D tuning and comes up with a riff(try to stay in the top 5 frets on the low D string)after you have came up with a good riff try adding rests and pauses to it. it gives it a very dark tone. the only song i can think of for an example is "Laid to Rest" by Lamb of God.

If you are into thrash more than that nu stuff then try learning the intro to "Raining Blood" by Slayer. it should give you a good guideline for dark riffs

for soloing try to learn the phyrigian scales. manymetal artist use these scales

sorry if its not helpful to you(i dont listen to/play black metal),but i hope it is.
C Minor on the top the strings.... like this...

----3-------
----4-------
----5-------
-------------
-------------
-------------

Or anything based on the Devil's interval...

-------------------------------
--------0-6----0-6---0---6--
-----------------------0---6--
-----------------------0-------
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
rearrange some penatonic scales
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
1 - Diminished scales.

2 - root-minor second diads

3 - Come up with a riff that doesn't sound quite as dark as you'd like then move all the notes apart from the tonic (the root of the key you're in) and open strings down a fret, that should sound quite dark.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
For tuning,Black Metal is usually in standard.Well nowadays it's not...but it started out like that.
Major 7ths are dark, especially if played in an arpeggio.
"I've been visiting a psychiatrist for some time now. He plays mind games. He asks things like 'do you masturbate'? and I say 'do you breathe?'."
Ozzy - 1975
I bet you could get an evil sound out of the major scale if you were clever.
Call me Batman.
Diminished scales sound pretty "dark"
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
the least "bright" sounding mode of the major scale is locrian. Here are the notes of an E locrian :

E - F- G - A - A# - C - D - E
Quote by Jayez
the least "bright" sounding mode of the major scale is locrian. Here are the notes of an E locrian :

E - F- G - A - A# - C - D - E

Superlocrian ftw!

1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7.

In E: E F G Ab A# C D E

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by yao151
if you want to get darker sounding riffs , try to do what the guitarist from Lamb of God does. in guitar world magazine he wrte an article about his riff writing technique. he calls it riff farming. he uses drop D tuning and comes up with a riff(try to stay in the top 5 frets on the low D string)after you have came up with a good riff try adding rests and pauses to it. it gives it a very dark tone. the only song i can think of for an example is "Laid to Rest" by Lamb of God.

If you are into thrash more than that nu stuff then try learning the intro to "Raining Blood" by Slayer. it should give you a good guideline for dark riffs

for soloing try to learn the phyrigian scales. manymetal artist use these scales

sorry if its not helpful to you(i dont listen to/play black metal),but i hope it is.

did you just tell him to play power chords?
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Walternativo
did you just tell him to play power chords?

There is no mention of power chords in that entire post, what the hell are you on about?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
uh, what's wrong with powerchords?
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware