I have been learning and playing guitar for about 6-7 months and i have pretty much gotten the gist of it and am broadening my playing ability, and now my grandpa, who sparked my interest for guitar, has a mandolin just sitting around, and he suggests that i learn that as well. i play guitar in an experimental Christian rock band and i think that bringing a mandolin into some songs would sound great, but i dont want that to interfere with my guitar playing. i was just looking for suggestions at what to do and if you know any good mandolin tab sites for bands like nickel creek or just chris thile.
Anti-Sig

███████
███████████
██████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████
Quote by All_Hands_Dead
I have been learning and playing guitar for about 6-7 months and i have pretty much gotten the gist of it and am broadening my playing ability, and now my grandpa, who sparked my interest for guitar, has a mandolin just sitting around, and he suggests that i learn that as well.
Hate to sound mean here but you really can never get the gist of guitar. That's still why people that have been playing for decades and still learn new things every day.

Quote by All_Hands_Dead
i was just looking for suggestions at what to do and if you know any good mandolin tab sites for bands like nickel creek or just chris thile.

Well let me just say that congrats on starting to play mandolin. It truly is becoming left in the wayside in today's music. As for tabs might I suggest transcribing? Chances are if you play Mandolin you can likely read music and transcribe songs within a few hours. So I doubt tabs for Mandolin will be as plentiful as guitar.
In my opinion, you might want to get a little more experience on guitar before you move on to something else, but perhaps it'll work out for you. At first, going to mandolin from guitar will be pretty discouraging, your hands will probably cramp up for about the first month due to the size difference, but it'll go away. I'd suggest buying an instructional book, but most of the basics you can learn on the internet. Tuning for example, is GDAE, same as the low four strings of a guitar just upside down (hopefully you noticed a mandolin has 8 strings though, each of them are tuned in pairs to make up in volume for its small size). From this, you can assume that any chord on guitar can be transposed to mandolin by using the same notes played on the top four strings of a guitar and turning the fingering upside down on the mandolin (this will give you only the approximate chord shapings). Making sure your mandolin is in tune will also be similar to tuning a guitar, except instead of checking a string to the fifth fret of the string above it, you'll check according to the seventh fret of the corresponding upper string.
As far as finding tabs, not many sites sponsor mandolin tab sections since its not an insanely popular instrument, but there's plenty of nickel creek tabs across the internet, just google it. Also, mandolin is great for improving your soloing and improv technique. Here's a great site for scales http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/scales/musical-scales.htm just play around with some of the ones on here and you'll see yourself improving on both guitar and mandolin in no time.
Good luck
thanks you guys, the help is appreciated. and Legendeath, i know nobody really gets the gist of guitar but what i mean is i'm decent at playing and would be able to deal with moving on as well as sticking with guitar
Anti-Sig

███████
███████████
██████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████
Quote by kustomjarvis
From this, you can assume that any chord on guitar can be transposed to mandolin by using the same notes played on the top four strings of a guitar and turning the fingering upside down on the mandolin

No, this will not work. The voicing will be changed, and the notes on the e and b strings will be dropped. It is better to learn chords on mandolins, and get comfortable with your own voicings rather than "flipping" guitar chords, which will probably mean that you will omit important notes, ruining the chord's sound.
I been playing mandolin for about 7 months now, it is great. I had been playing guitar for about 8 years and found it relativley easy to get into mandolin. Great easy mandolin songs to learn: The Battle of Evermore, Copperhead Road, Maggie May. I also like transcribing songs I know on guitar to mandolin which is a lot of fun.

Nickel Creek may be the worst bluegrass band ever, completely lack what bluegrass is about, sorry but it is true. The Seldom Scene, Bill Monroe!, Jimmy Martin, David Grisman is amazing at the Mandolin, Sam Bush! Check these guys out.
Do not concentrate on the finger for you will miss all the heavenly glory.