Page 1 of 2
these guys arent mentioned enough i feel ... and they are pretty amazing (you either love or hate the singer though)... the lyrics are pretty damn depressing, but its upbeat music not too far off from the vein of ska... i think they belong here seeing as they are folk punk ... anyway carry on discussion about them or perhaps any other good folk punk bands out their
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I enjoy their music a lot.

I'll finally get to see them when the Asian Man tour rolls around CT.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
^same here ... im quite excited for the show, alot of good bands performing on one bill for 20 dollars... if only all music were so cheap
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
They are very good, but damn that album was a let down. They didn't need to add all the other instrumentation. Heard a new song the other day that Sean wrote with Ben Barnett, really hoping they hook up some more.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Alabama Jihad will always be my favorite Jihad band.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
I might see them on the Asian Man Tour in CT if I wind up going up there this summer.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I might see them on the Asian Man Tour in CT if I wind up going up there this summer.

+1, only not in CT
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Their music is good, but quite depressing. I really like the song "If i had a rocket launcher." Not sure if that is the actual name, but it is a great song.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
The St. Louis date for the Asian Man Tour is the night before the June ACT.

I'll go anyway
Quote by IlikeTheSKA
I enjoy their music a lot.

I'll finally get to see them when the Asian Man tour rolls around CT.

u & me both bro!
This band is one of my favorites. Great music.
peace & chemicals
great band? or greatest band?
i say both.

im driving 2 hours to see them this summer, but its totally worth it.
fght ff yr dmns. wrt sngs n yr slp. fight yr dmns your DEMONS. w lv y. w mss y. i lv y s mch tht t hrts m hd.
^ Their best release that you can still get ahold of. Seem to remember AOTU have the LP version for like $8 which seems ridiculously cheap.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
They are one of the better folk punk bands but I don't know if it's just me but I find alot of these folk punk bands sound exactly the same. You know same whiney voice...same chord strumming.....same melodies....lyrics...hand claps.....fiddle/banjo etc. It's okay I guess but after a while it does my head in a bit.
The banjo really made the album sound sh*t in my opinion, but yeah, not a ton of originality in the genre.

RateYourMusic
What's some good songs to start with?

On the subject of folk being unoriginal, I don't really think it's supposed to be original. I mean, I think the best folk/folk punk is just an acoustic guitar and a singer.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Quote by Doolittle
and me!

and me!
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by radio_schizo
They are one of the better folk punk bands but I don't know if it's just me but I find alot of these folk punk bands sound exactly the same. You know same whiney voice...same chord strumming.....same melodies....lyrics...hand claps.....fiddle/banjo etc. It's okay I guess but after a while it does my head in a bit.

Yeah. I've been trying to listen to some folk punk lately, but it all sounds the same to me.
One of my favorite bands. Going to see them on the Asian Man tour on the 23rd.
Quote by Ska Wars
What's some good songs to start with?

Find the 'Issue problems' EP, its virtually perfect.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
Find the 'Issue problems' EP, its virtually perfect.

I didn't see this post, so I went and downloaded "People That Can Eat People...". It's some of the most amazing stuff I've ever, ever heard. People II: The Reckoning is one of the best songs I've heard in a long time.
Quite a lot of the songs on the album were rehashed versions of older stuff anyway just with more instrumentation - which for me spoils them a bit. The 'Issue problems' EP and the split with Ghost Mice are still well worth trying to get ahold of.
Just realised there's a new EP out on Plan-It-X, $5.50, bargain.

RateYourMusic
Everything on Plan-it-x is $5.50 or less unless it's a collaboration or t-shirt. I love that.

And I never really thought any folk-punk sounded the same at all. Maybe between the guys in Riot Folk and Ghost Mice it does, but there's only so much you can do with an acoustic in that style.
I thought it was only five dollars, at least that's always what I've sent. Anyway, I'm about to buy the AJJ/Ghost Mice split from them now.
The new EP isn't bad, only about 15 minutes long but a few decent tracks, quite average overall really.

RateYourMusic
^I sent out for the Ghost Mice Split yesterday. Hopefully it'll get here soon. I also downloaded Issue Problems and I agree one hundred percent, it's great. I like those versions of the songs a lot better than the ones on "People Who Can Eat People...", but I still think People II: The Reckoning is their best song.
Yeah that was definitely a stand out from the album. 'Murderer' does it for me though or their version of 'Lightning bolt' on that split with is top notch as well. Don't like any other Ghost Mice stuff I've heard but the split works really well, hope you enjoy it.
Glad you liked 'Issue problems' as well. The songs just suit a more stripped down style, the album versions took away a lot of the energy.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
Yeah that was definitely a stand out from the album. 'Murderer' does it for me though or their version of 'Lightning bolt' on that split with is top notch as well. Don't like any other Ghost Mice stuff I've heard but the split works really well, hope you enjoy it.
Glad you liked 'Issue problems' as well. The songs just suit a more stripped down style, the album versions took away a lot of the energy.

Their version of Lightening Bolt, as in a cover? That's be cool, since that's also my favorite Ghost Mice song. I'm very much so looking forward to getting it; I'm trying to resist the urge to just go ahead and download it now. And I agree, that their more stripped down sounding stuff is a lot better. Is their sound on the split similar to Issue Problems?
I have PWCEPATLPITW (what a mouthful), and really enjoy it, as well as their Split with Ghost Mice. Some of their tracks will really get stuck in your head.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Quote by Ska Wars
Their version of Lightening Bolt, as in a cover? That's be cool, since that's also my favorite Ghost Mice song. I'm very much so looking forward to getting it; I'm trying to resist the urge to just go ahead and download it now. And I agree, that their more stripped down sounding stuff is a lot better. Is their sound on the split similar to Issue Problems?

Yeah, it's more 'Issue problems' than 'People who can...'.
A cover indeed. Ghost Mice did a cover of 'Survival' in exchange.

RateYourMusic
That's cool. I hope it gets here soon; I'm getting anxious.
I got the split yesterday and I love it. Little Prince is my new favorite song. Funny thing is though, I love all the AJJ songs, with the exception of Lightning Bolt. Maybe I'm still partial to Ghost Mice's original, because I heard it first. I haven't really listened to Ghost Mice's side too much yet, but it sounds like Chris' voice got like twelve octaves higher than any of their other stuff I've heard from them.
Page 1 of 2