im a beginner and i got a fender percussion bass standard series, and i need to find an honest, truthful review of it, so that i can sleep better, does anybody here own one or can give some info about it, like what styles are better played with it, about its sound (i use an old stereo for an amp so i cant really tell if its good or bad) and just about anything that can possibly help me
thanks
critisim for fellow critics, be a doll why dontcha :
Demons
sweet soul

is you am a dog? is you got a dog?
It is a very nice bass and can fit well into pretty much any genre.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I have one and I love it. It's really quite a nice bass for playing Punk. Wouldn't reccomend it for slap bass though. The Fender Jazz would be more useful for that style.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
it's a really nice bass. GREAT quality, especially for a beginner. It'll last you a while.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
crap, slapping is one of the reasons why i wanted to play bass
oh well, no problem
Demons
sweet soul

yeah it is a nice bass but not a big deal for the price
is just what you pay for so its ok
also o pbasses are awesome IMO better than jazz basses but again just IMO try some basses with similar price range
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
What it comes down to is that almost all FENDER basses, not Squire, are pure orgasm and can work for any style of music. ever.
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
great for beginners mostly because its comfortable to play, well i think it is anyway
It's not bad for slapping. I'm just saying the Jazz is a similar price and probably better for that funk-ier slap sound.

Although they are both very versitle and can fit any genre. Although IMO Punk sounds better on the Precision due to it's slightly sharper tone.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
Quote by Shard Heilia
Percussion bass?

Yeah I just noticed that, you mean Precision bass??
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Don't be too disheartened (sp?), I've heard good things about P-bass slappage, just a bit...different, I think
I own a percision bass too and i found that depending on what i specifically want to play i might lower or raise the bridge. for instance, whenever i'm playing like ska type lines i lower the bridge to give me faster action but i may raise it up if im planning on doing some funk or slapping stuff.

oh, and buy an amp
sorry i always get precision and percussion mixed up
thank you everyone
Demons
sweet soul

The P-bass is great for pretty much any type of rock. I like the extra punch it has over a Jazz bass.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Mar 17, 2008,
Slapping is overrated.

Anyways i doubt you can go wrong with a fender even if its a mexican. They are the inventors off the bass and have years and years of research and development in it. Just look at all the bands 42% plays a fender 42% plays a musicman stingray and 6 other brand but most likely own a fender or both. I think that says a lot.

Smartass mode: yes im pulling these numbers out of my sleeve but you get the picture and now im not drawing it
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I actually use my P - Pickups on my basses for slap, i really dig the tone, it's really what ever floats your boat

EDIT:

Quote by Mescalino
Slapping is overrated.

Anyways i doubt you can go wrong with a fender even if its a mexican. They are the inventors off the bass and have years and years of research and development in it. Just look at all the bands 42% plays a fender 42% plays a musicman stingray and 6 other brand but most likely own a fender or both. I think that says a lot.

Smartass mode: yes im pulling these numbers out of my sleeve but you get the picture and now im not drawing it

Leo Fender merely refined the bass fiddle designed years earlier and the fender name is merely a brandname, there are far better products out there and refinments on that designed, to me when i play a fender it just doesn't live up to the hype, give me an unheard of bass anyday
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Last edited by Double Basser at Mar 18, 2008,
Slapping on my P-bass gives me orgasms.

Jazz basses are very good for slapping but it depends on your taste, i love the p-bass slap tones.
Quote by Double Basser
I actually use my P - Pickups on my basses for slap, i really dig the tone, it's really what ever floats your boat

EDIT:

Leo Fender merely refined the bass fiddle designed years earlier and the fender name is merely a brandname, there are far better products out there and refinments on that designed, to me when i play a fender it just doesn't live up to the hype, give me an unheard of bass anyday

Saying the original bass is just a "refined" bass fiddle is over-simplification. Fender had to design something that balances comfortably, is easily portable and best uses the pickups which were designed for lower range. I'm certain there are other things I'm not thinking of, off-hand, but it's not like he sat a double bass on its side and said "voila!"
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
you can slap on any bass. i've slapped acoustic electric basses. slapping is slapping. the tone is simply different, not wrong or undesirable, but different. for basses, most tone comes from your fingers, not your bass. to beat the horse even further, i can play my bass and hav a distinct tone from a friend who is equally talented playing the same bass.
I find this thread interesting to say the least. Usually when I mention slapping on a P bass, people (aka other bass players) tend to look at me as though I have some sort of deviant streak. I like the sound myself, but will admit P basses don't exactly scream "slap" tone to me.
Quote by anarkee
I find this thread interesting to say the least. Usually when I mention slapping on a P bass, people (aka other bass players) tend to look at me as though I have some sort of deviant streak. I like the sound myself, but will admit P basses don't exactly scream "slap" tone to me.

I agree; for slap tones I usually turn to my Stingray with fresh roundwounds. I love my P-bass to death though, it' fatness is untouchable. I plan on swapping the electronics for something better though; the stock pickup and the damn S1 switch are horrible. I'm thinking a Lindy Fralin pickup and just some Warmoth pots/electronics. Or I could be sacreligous and put EMG's in it. Who knows?

And how does one go about getting a good tone from a P-bass with flats? It's freaking impossible! I've tried everything from Labellas to GHS to Chromes and they all sound thin, weak, and rubber-band-like. I was trying to get the big, huge Jamerson thump, but I can more easily achieve that tone from dying roundwounds.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
P-basses can certainly slap!!

There is no 'bad' slap tones, just different slap tones!

The bassist from Foghat used to slap the **** out of his P-bass!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!