I tried this PRS Mccartney today which was but i didnt think it was all that great for the 2k (overinflated) pricetag. Are there any guitars you think are better made apart from custom shops? I tried a schecter hellraiser side by side and i dont think you could have told much apart if you heard them.
PRS are generally overpriced (the SE are amazing value though, no where near the quality of a US PRS) and good tone is subjective, but there is no way that a Schecter Hellraiser compares to an instrument like the Mcartey, its a different league.
yep, aparently the mojo flames are just incredible. whats wrong with the prs then? i have one, i think its ****in incredible, they are sooooooooo versitile!
Quote by minibrowny
PRS are generally overpriced (the SE are amazing value though, no where near the quality of a US PRS) and good tone is subjective, but there is no way that a Schecter Hellraiser compares to an instrument like the Mcartey, its a different league.

obviously different woods and better mahogany in the mcartney (ive got a les paul studio and usa strat as well so im not a newbie) i was not expecting the hellraiser to be that great.
Quote by EvyDefMetal
really!?!

Parkers are great.

Anyway, it's all preference.

I could have gone for a PRS, but after trying the one which appealed to me most (on paper) I decided to get a different brand. On the other hand, some people swear by them.

Once you get into a certain price range you have a huge list of companies that can make you a top quality instrument.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by stueey
yep, aparently the mojo flames are just incredible. whats wrong with the prs then? i have one, i think its ****in incredible, they are sooooooooo versitile!

nothing wrong with the PRS just not worth even £1000 IMO. Im gonna get a Fame Forum which is £600 and even has a Piezo.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Parkers are great.

Anyway, it's all preference.

I could have gone for a PRS, but after trying the one which appealed to me most (on paper) I decided to get a different brand. On the other hand, some people swear by them.

Once you get into a certain price range you have a huge list of companies that can make you a top quality instrument

name some that was my question..but im looking for value stock not just 'custom'
seeing as your name has the words 'evil' and 'metal' in it im guessing a versatile PRS isnt up your alley and an uber metalz guitar with EMGs would be teh secks

however, to the matter at hand, tone and feel are subjective, you may not enjoy PRS but they are incredibly well made, although yes slightly overpriced, ' IMO the J custom Ibanez' are incredible guitars but the balls out best guitar for me would be an ESP Navigator LP, where most companies used to make lower quality LP copies navigator made better

Edit: just so there is no confusion, J 'customs' in fact merely have very low numbers of them made and are not custom made for one person
Quote by stephen_rettie
seeing as your name has the words 'evil' and 'metal' in it im guessing a versatile PRS isnt up your alley and an uber metalz guitar with EMGs would be teh secks

however, to the matter at hand, tone and feel are subjective, you may not enjoy PRS but they are incredibly well made, although yes slightly overpriced, ' IMO the J custom Ibanez' are incredible guitars but the balls out best guitar for me would be an ESP Navigator LP, where most companies used to make lower quality LP copies navigator made better

guess again i play flamenco, jazz etc all the time
Quote by EvyDefMetal
name some that was my question..but im looking for value stock not just 'custom'

A few would be:

-Suhr
-Vigier
-Tom Anderson
-Caparison
-Ormsby (although those are more customs than stock)

There are also luthiers/small companies like Blackmachine and Conklin who have quite a reputation.

Also, plenty of larger manufacturers make nice instruments at that price; think Charvel, MusicMan, Jackson, Ibanez J. Custom, etc.

Some people even prefer the charm of a Fender and such.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 17, 2008,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
A few would be:

-Suhr
-Vigier
-Tom Anderson
-Caparison

There are also luthiers/small companies like Blackmachine and Conklin who have quite a reputation.

Also, plenty of larger manufacturers make nice instruments at that price.

They're all, apart from maybe Caparison, 'boutique' instruments.

Depending on your proference, you might (and in fact are likely to) find satisfaction from more common, lower-priced instruments.

Example: although Suhr and Tom Anderson make amazing strat copies, if you're satisfied with a Fender American, why bother?

There's definetely a difference between a 'good' and a 'bad' guitar, but there's no way of telling a 'good' guitar from a 'better' one. I agree that PRS kicks major ass, but they might be rivaled by Gibson, Jackson, ESP, Ibanez Prestige, Dean, even Cort. It's all a matter of preference.

Please don't flame Dean. Yes, they're expensive and they're really going over the top with Dimebag tributes, but they used to make some great guitars.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
A few would be:

-Suhr
-Vigier
-Tom Anderson
-Caparison

Also, plenty of larger manufacturers make nice instruments at that price; think Charvel, MusicMan, Jackson, Ibanez J. Custom, etc.

Some people even prefer the charm of a Fender and such.

but they are mostly strat based dude..
Quote by sashki
What kind of guitar are you looking for?

Budget? Design? Feel? Tonal preference?

prs or strat body shape roughly, set neck, mahogany body/walnut bubinga neck, koa top..thru body etc
No matter what guitar you get there is always something better, or a guitar that someone else thinks is better. The things to ask yourself are:
Does the neck feel comfortable? Do I like the electronics? How about the appearance? Is it balanced well, comfortable both seated and standing? Does it suit my style? Good quality?
And lastly but most important "Do I really give a crap whether anyone likes my guitar except me?"
Quote by EvyDefMetal
prs or strat body shape roughly, set neck, mahogany body/walnut bubinga neck, koa top..thru body etc

CARVIN.
Nothing is better I've played every guitar that people said compared but their is no comparison. They have the looks, sound, playability, and versitility that no other guitar has.
Quote by Flying Couch

CARVIN.

Thank you! Jebus, i like Carvin 100x more than POS. I mean they make great guitars, but too expensive and kind of overrated imo. The only gripe with Carvin is that some models have crappy pups. They are amazing guitars and play like a dream. Check out Carvin. (guitars from 800-1500+)
Quote by EvyDefMetal
I tried this PRS Mccartney today which was but i didnt think it was all that great for the 2k (overinflated) pricetag. Are there any guitars you think are better made apart from custom shops? I tried a schecter hellraiser side by side and i dont think you could have told much apart if you heard them.

rickenbackers
PRS's are just overpriced cause Paul Reed Smith locks up Chinese Immigrants in a closet and forces them to hand craft his guitars with only a toothpick and some glue.

I know its insane, but I have my sources.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by Flying Afros
PRS's are just overpriced cause Paul Reed Smith locks up Chinese Immigrants in a closet and forces them to hand craft his guitars with only a toothpick and some glue.

I know its insane, but I have my sources.

Yea, sadly i'm inclined to agree. I dont care for the heels on them being so far up on the neck.
You could get a custom Carvin.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.