So I go into my local georges music store and ask the guy I know there to put 11's on my American Deluxe Strat for me because I don't know how to correctly mess with the springs and/or truss rod due to the higher tension. So after I get it back, I realize that I can't pull the whammy bar up. So, I went back to the store a few days later and the guy said "I'm not really good enough to be able to make the bridge float, its pretty hard with 11's, especially on a strat." He put 5 springs in the back and it's way hard to even whammy it down, and because its got so many springs, theres no room to whammy up.

So, this guy that works at a guitar store can't balance a bridge. Is it really that hard?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Not really, strat trems aren't designed to float, it can be done but it's a bit of a ballache and heavier stings would make your margin for achieving a float a lot smaller.

Get something with a Floyd if you want to pull up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Not really, strat trems aren't designed to float, it can be done but it's a bit of a ballache and heavier stings would make your margin for achieving a float a lot smaller.

Get something with a Floyd if you want to pull up.

Was actually looking at a C-1 Hellraiser FR
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I have the C-1 Hellraiser and the Original Floyd Rose is awesome, you can pull up until the strings break, lol, and jam it clear down to the fretboard!
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Quote by .Jamison
I have the C-1 Hellraiser and the Original Floyd Rose is awesome, you can pull up until the strings break, lol, and jam it clear down to the fretboard!

Thats awesome, I just need to figure out a way to pay for one.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
Thats awesome, I just need to figure out a way to pay for one.

Sell the strat?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 17, 2008,
That's My Problem also, I want to get a new amp, but I'm out of stuff to sell.

The Hellraiser is Worth it though!
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Quote by steven seagull
Not really, strat trems aren't designed to float.

Wrong. The patent for the original strat bridge has it floating, as that's how it was designed. However the tuning stability is almost nonexistent when this is done, which is why almost everyone has the bridge all the way down.

Ha! I corrected a legend.

If you do want to be able to pull up though, do get a Floyd equipped guitar.
doesnt mean they arent designed to float. so ur post is full of poo. ^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
doesnt mean they arent designed to float. so ur post is full of poo. ^

Which is exactly what he said. So your post is full of poo.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
wow, i stand completely covered in poo, i just assumed ss said the opposite!

thanks a lot mark!
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Isn't the Deluxe a Fulcrum trem guitar or do you have a Deluxe Players Strat? Two different guitars; one has the Fulcrum, the other has the 6 screw.
Even with 5 springs you can adjust the screws that hold the trem claw to balance the springs. Its a bit time consuming but it can be done. Loosen the screws slightly and retune, you may have to tighten them back up if the bridge is pulled too far forward. Just keep playing with it until you have the amount of upward pull you want.

Yes, this sucks ass for tuning but again, it can be done. I tune mine then hit a big open chord and crank the bar back and forth a few times, then retune and repeat until it no longer goes out when you rake the bar.

You'll notice that when you tune one string the others before it will go flat so they must be brought up, it usually takes me about three tries to get it right on the first tuning of new strings. Once its in tune its easier to keep there.
1. what kind of strat is it? Strat > any shector

2. Strats aren't made for floating, atleast not like a FR especially if it isn't even carved out so it can go up...

3. Amp > guitar unless the amp is good/decent.

4. You can make it float, First make the springs a little loose (until you can bend the bridge down) and stick flat spoon or something similar to hold it there. Continue to loosen the springs (not strings!) till the bridge is slighting floating above the spoon or object. Then tune it.. If the bridge is too high, tighten the springs, if it's pushing down on the spoon loosen them.

5. The Shector isn't worth it.

Try playing good cleans with it, you can't. A guitar that isn't versatile isn't good at all, and you can get much better for your money than some guitar that 5,000 of 'em were made in one day... the tree was cut down, carved, painted and created all in one day.

Well basicly ^^

Looks aren't everything, :P
Quote by nan0

Try playing good cleans with it, you can't. A guitar that isn't versatile isn't good at all, and you can get much better for your money than some guitar that 5,000 of 'em were made in one day... the tree was cut down, carved, painted and created all in one day.

Well basicly ^^

Umm, no. A Strat isn't always better than a Schecter, C-1 FRs are very versatile for the money, and versatility isn't everything anyway.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by nan0

2. Strats aren't made for floating, atleast not like a FR especially if it isn't even carved out so it can go up...

3. Amp > guitar unless the amp is good/decent.

4. You can make it float, First make the springs a little loose (until you can bend the bridge down) and stick flat spoon or something similar to hold it there. Continue to loosen the springs (not strings!) till the bridge is slighting floating above the spoon or object. Then tune it.. If the bridge is too high, tighten the springs, if it's pushing down on the spoon loosen them.

Well basicly ^^

1. No

2. True

3. No aswell

4. Why would he want to do that? He'd lose tuning stability

5.*Schecter and what the hell are you on about? Schecters are kickass guitars and for the price they sell at, it owns strats which have been over-priced because of a certain dead guitarist and their huge name in the music industry.

*holds up flame shield*
Quote by jj1565
wow, i stand completely covered in poo, i just assumed ss said the opposite!

thanks a lot mark!

sorry, not into that kind of thing...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've heard that you can just use 3 springs instead of five and it will work much better. I'm not so sure about this but a friend of mine mentioned that many guitars come setup with 5 springs , but when you remove 2 of the srpings the trem works better.
google how many springs jeff beck uses in his strat. he play 11s and he can go down and up.