Do any of you play a right-hand guitar? I'm left-handed and I was wondering why would you go out of the way to find and use a left-handed guitar? I figured it'd be just easier to play it right-handed and have the advantage up on the frets. Most people don't start out coordinated at guitar so it doesn't really make a difference if you're playing right-handed or left-handed because everyone has to build coordination.
i play left handed with a left handed guitar, but i can play my friends right handed guitar left handed.
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
im a lefty, for pretty much everything, except for like 1 thing i can think of. i play lefty mainly because my first guitar was a christmas present and my mom saw the choice for left handed or right handed and since i am left handed, she chose it thinking whatever, hes a lefty. so i learned on that and cannot change now. now i have a mexican fender strat, and got it for the reg. price from GC so i am fine with finding guitars. and the only other guitar i may get in the future is some les paul, and i can find those for the same price as well. so in my book, it doesn't matter anymore
Fender MIM Standard lefty strat (midnight wine, sexy i know)
Vox DA15
Quote by rock.meet Slash
oh yes but do they have....THE PIT?

Quote by rickmeister
Stealing is cool again? Sweet, I'm gonna rob a Subway brb
Im a lefty and play lefty its harder to find guitars. As for learning to play righty if a lefty I dont know what to tell you.
Batio is left handed, originally learned how to play on a right handed guitar. Just like him [with a right handed], you're going to have a super huge advantage on the fretboard (so you're going to be a very legato player, in a small amount of time) but you'll probably struggle with advanced picking/tapping techniques.

If you play left handed guitars will be harder to find, and more expensive. You will have a strong picking hand so things like tapping and pinch harmonics will not be too measurable of a feat to overcome, you'll pick them up quickly. But, like most players, it will take a long time to develop truly great "shredding" (or playing legato) abilities because your fretting hand is not dominate.

My opinion? I'd go with right handed [the norm]. Guitars will be easier to locate and buy, downside is you will REALLY have to focus on picking techniques, but I find those fun to practice. I'd just go to a store and pick up one of each (same guitar of course) and see which feels better to you, because you're still going to have to put the same amount of time in as the rest of us (unless you're naturally talented) to become a guitar guru.

Or you could start right handed then teach yourself left handed eventually, and play like Batio
Quote by edusty2010
Batio is left handed, originally learned how to play on a right handed guitar. Just like him [with a right handed], you're going to have a super huge advantage on the fretboard (so you're going to be a very legato player, in a small amount of time) but you'll probably struggle with advanced picking/tapping techniques.

If you play left handed guitars will be harder to find, and more expensive. You will have a strong picking hand so things like tapping and pinch harmonics will not be too measurable of a feat to overcome, you'll pick them up quickly. But, like most players, it will take a long time to develop truly great "shredding" (or playing legato) abilities because your fretting hand is not dominate.

My opinion? I'd go with right handed [the norm]. Guitars will be easier to locate and buy, downside is you will REALLY have to focus on picking techniques, but I find those fun to practice. I'd just go to a store and pick up one of each (same guitar of course) and see which feels better to you, because you're still going to have to put the same amount of time in as the rest of us (unless you're naturally talented) to become a guitar guru.

Or you could start right handed then teach yourself left handed eventually, and play like Batio

That's pretty good information. I am struggling a bit at doing consistent speed-picking
but it's nothing that practice can't handle.
depends, I personally can't play on right handed guitars at all, it feels really unnatural and I downright suck at it, but some lefthanded people can learn on righthanded guitars without any problems. My advice is to just try it out and see what you like best, don't let the price or choice hold you back. If you're just like me and worthless at playing righty you'll never really enjoy playing guitar on a righty because you'll have to practice way more than other people to reach the same level which takes some of the fun of playing guitar away
Quote by big duck
You are so going to hell, but that is hilarious.

Quote by esther_mouse

Quote by K_McGill
Idiot
I'm a lefty and I'm learning to play the guitar. I'm encountering some problems that I didn't expect. My strumming and my ability to pick the correct string is a mess. My right hand seems to be too retarded to find the right spot. My fret work is nothing to get excited about either. Once in a while I'll spin the guitar around, and even though I've never practiced that way, within a minute or two I'm able to do what took me an hour of practicing to accomplish the other way. I think I personally would have been much better off if I just bought a lefty guitar.

But, I intend to continue with the righty guitar, but once I manage to get halfway decent, I want to buy a lefty bass and learn all over again.