Alright, so I'll be attending East Carolina University next year for music. Also, my room mate is a good friend of mine, but he's like the Double-Bassist-From-Hell. He's actually the second best orchestra bassist in North America right now (speaking in high school terms). Anyways, since ECU is a 1.5-2 hour drive from our town, we need jams to listen to all the way there. We're huge fans of Les Claypool and Marcus Miller, among others, so we play a lot of their music or our own.

My question is this: Is it feasible or even possible to some how wire a bass amp or two into a car in such a fashion, that it can both play the radio/CD player and a direct input from one of our basses? Of course, I wouldn't think that it could play both the CD player and the bass at the same time, but could it do it separately? Do you think it'd work?

--Arojekt.
Try this: Take one of those cassette tapes with the headphone wire on them that you can use to play a cd player through your car stereo. Plug it into an adapter that turns the tiny headphone plug into a 1/4 inch plug.
if you run the cassette adapter idea, you need to run the adapter through the output of a bass amp, and then plug the bass into the input. and if you use a splitter cable, you can play right along with the disc.
Quote by kevin14u2nv
heck yeah its gonna be heavy its gonna be in Drop A tuning and the opening line of the CD will be like Worship god

and then the pope just does a freakin brutal breakdown
I understand that part... I do essentially the same thing for my MP3 player because I'm cheap about that... but the thing is, that it won't sound good probably because 1) Both of our basses have active pickups... and probably harm the car audio and 2) the reason why we need bass amps in there is because last year we blew out the bass... Do you know how painful it is to try to listen to music like that? It nearly makes me gag, just thinking about it. We don't want to have to spend money on car subs if we could just substitute in our two amps with a little bit of effort and work.

--Arojekt.
Quote by Arojekt
I understand that part... I do essentially the same thing for my MP3 player because I'm cheap about that... but the thing is, that it won't sound good probably because 1) Both of our basses have active pickups... and probably harm the car audio and 2) the reason why we need bass amps in there is because last year we blew out the bass... Do you know how painful it is to try to listen to music like that? It nearly makes me gag, just thinking about it. We don't want to have to spend money on car subs if we could just substitute in our two amps with a little bit of effort and work.

--Arojekt.

Why not just get a small practice amp with batteries or a car adapter and paly with that?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Although playing it through a bass guitar is relatively easy, we'd like to kill two birds with one stone. The stone, the bass amp(s), and the birds a) the fact that we have not-bass-playing-stereo in the car, and b) we want to play b. guitars in the car...

We're just trying to keep it cheap if we can.

And it'd be just awesome.

--Arojekt.
It all depends of your deck. I have a high-end deck in my car, and it has line in and line out in the back. I would open it to see if yours does.
There are adaptors that convert the 12v in your car to 230v (europe) so you can plug in a regular electric item. I use it to power my laptop in my car. I bet they make those for 110v aswell. Ask around in shops like radio shack?
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
Quote by Arojekt
Alright, so I'll be attending East Carolina University next year for music. Also, my room mate is a good friend of mine, but he's like the Double-Bassist-From-Hell. He's actually the second best orchestra bassist in North America right now (speaking in high school terms). Anyways, since ECU is a 1.5-2 hour drive from our town, we need jams to listen to all the way there. We're huge fans of Les Claypool and Marcus Miller, among others, so we play a lot of their music or our own.

I'm pretty sure the second best orchestral bassist in North America is not going to ECU...

I can't imagine you being comfortable playing bass in your car. I'm sure you guys can find some good music to listen to for only 2 hours. Maybe get that new Marcus Miller CD?
Got Bass?
Quote by Charlatan_001
I wouldn't imagine playing inside of a car to be very comfortable or safe...

My thoughts exactly, especially safe.

And it seems just weird to have one in the back seat and one driving...

My suggestion would be to see if they made those amp/mini-speaker combination things for basses, and uh... good luck with finding comfort.
Get one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/C-Tech-Pocket-RockIt-Bass-Headphone-Amp?sku=151700

Honestly, it just seems to bizarre having one person driving and someone in the back seat jamming on an amplified bass. Plus, if you get into an accident or a near-accident, who knows what or who that bass is going to hit, and what that amp might do given a lot of inertia.

It's really just a bad idea.
Quote by FunkMaster
There are adaptors that convert the 12v in your car to 230v (europe) so you can plug in a regular electric item. I use it to power my laptop in my car. I bet they make those for 110v aswell. Ask around in shops like radio shack?

Do this.

There's no way to harm your car's stereo if you do it this way.
Quote by DoctrDrew116
I can't imagine you being comfortable playing bass in your car. I'm sure you guys can find some good music to listen to for only 2 hours. Maybe get that new Marcus Miller CD?

Yeah like honestly, 2 hours is not long. It's a 1.5-hour drive for me to go home from college. It's really not worth all the headache for that short of a drive.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Well, we're (probably unhealthily) addicted to music. He's majoring in performance, I'm majoring in theory/composition and in education. Heh... We're just trying to bend possibilities here. I mean, it'd be mad straight if we could post up and meet with some friends along the way and jam out... or perhaps take his Jeep on the beach during some break and be able to jam out of the car with ease.

"I'm pretty sure the second best orchestral bassist in North America is not going to ECU..."

His name's Jason Marcinowski. The best bassist, really, is Steven Metcalf, who goes to Cary High School now and will be attending either Indiana or Michigan. He's got full rides to both schools. He's a close mutual friend of our's as well.

But does anyone know if it can be done?? Even just the sake of it being possible would be awesome.

--Arojekt.
Hey Arojekt, when I posted that earlier, I didn't mean I was doubting your friend's skills, but my question is why isn't he going to Curtis, Northwestern, Colburn, Rice, Boston, Peabody, etc.? If he's really the 2nd best in the country he should be taking his pick of these great teachers at these prestigious colleges.

And also, I got that new Marcus Miller CD and it is definitely enough entertainment for a 2 hour trip.
Got Bass?
Quote by Arojekt
.. or perhaps be able to jam out of the car with ease

But does anyone know if it can be done?? Even just the sake of it being possible would be awesome.

--Arojekt.
it may or may not harm our car stereo but why risk it ?get a pignose hog 30 or facsimile and use the drive time to work on scales or technique exercises,those time consuming ones that get omitted all too regularly.............just because you may be able to do something does not always mean you should
Quote by Charlatan_001
I wouldn't imagine playing inside of a car to be very comfortable or safe...

God I am glad this thread turned this way. I was beginning to wonder why no one thought this was just a really stupid idea. I have seen some really insane things people do while driving the roads in CA (my favorite is a tie between a woman with a curling iron doing her hair on Hwy 101 and the guy who played trombone while driving over the Pacheco Pass), and two bassists in a car playing bass with an amp seemed up there with the trombone player.

Before Volkswagens started selling autos with guitars, a buddy in high school used his beat up Chevy's stereo system as an outdoor speaker. It was loud and pretty awful. The VWs don't sound that much better frankly, ( but maybe that's because the guitars ARE FirstAct models)

Get a good CD or learn the fine art of conversation. Two hours is nothing--hell I know people who commute that each day.
As unsafe and impractical this idea is, if he can do it with good results, I'll probably be jealous.
Got Bass?
Err... hasn't anybody heard of portable bass amplifers?

http://www.philjonesbass.com/products-combos-briefcase.htm

You can run it via an external power supply, your car battery, but can accept its own rechargable battery.

But to play it while you are driving is asking for trouble. Besides, it's only a two hour journey. Like anarkee said, some people sometimes commute to work for that amount of time. All you need a is a few CDs/mp3 player and some good topics of conversations and thats your entertainment covered.
Last edited by shut_up_you_*** at Mar 19, 2008,
Nice to know Im not the only one whos been thinking of a way to do this... To be safer, you could just play at every rest stop you come across and some gas stations. Give people a show.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by silentdob
Nice to know Im not the only one whos been thinking of a way to do this... To be safer, you could just play at every rest stop you come across and some gas stations. Give people a show.

Yeah since that's what truck drivers and people who have been on the road for hours and hours want to hear. You'll probably just get ticketed for disturbing the peace.
As good as an idea it sounds like no strings attached, I don't think it works the way it's supposed to.

It's impossible, from my knowledge to plug it into the car without spending mad cash for it. Even if you have it running on some sort of power supplies, it won't sound good AT ALL in your car.

Get a earphone amp and a traveling bass, you don't need to show off to everyone

EDIT: I'm talking about a large amount of wattage btw, like 400+.

but like I said, I only got this from talking to my shop teacher who knows a lot about everything.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Last edited by AccidentsHappen at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by DoctrDrew116
Hey Arojekt, when I posted that earlier, I didn't mean I was doubting your friend's skills, but my question is why isn't he going to Curtis, Northwestern, Colburn, Rice, Boston, Peabody, etc.? If he's really the 2nd best in the country he should be taking his pick of these great teachers at these prestigious colleges.

And also, I got that new Marcus Miller CD and it is definitely enough entertainment for a 2 hour trip.

Well one, ECU has a minimum acceptance GPA of 3.5, I think... I forget the exact number, but that's around it. I think I can say with pride that we're both people that really don't give a damn about "core classes" and only put effort into music.

Although I have not met the bass teacher over at ECU, apparently he's really good. Jason said his name was Lenny something, and he's from back when Russia was the Soviet Union.
We had a bit of a conversation about it, but he said that he's only going there BECAUSE Lenny's there... but I've never met Lenny, so I couldn't tell you much more than that.

--Arojekt.
^ That's cool. Because the teacher is everything, no matter how famous or crappy the school is. I'm going to University of Maryland next year because the principal bassist of the NSO is teaching there next year and I got a full scholarship. Yay! Not that UMD is a bad school though.

And I say screw core classes too. More power to you. Good luck.
Got Bass?
Congratulations, Drew. The Principal bassist of NSO? Wow.

--Arojekt.
Quote by Arojekt

My question is this: Is it feasible or even possible to some how wire a bass amp or two into a car in such a fashion, that it can both play the radio/CD player and a direct input from one of our basses? Of course, I wouldn't think that it could play both the CD player and the bass at the same time, but could it do it separately? Do you think it'd work?

--Arojekt.

The amp will take a huge toll on the alternator. Car speakers don't work well with a direct input of a bass guitar. It will sound like **** probably.

Get a cheap power inverter and get a small practice amp (15 watts) and do that. It won't hurt your alternator or battery too much and you can play along, and won't sound like complete ****.