i downloaded Opera, as my friend has it and i like it a lot more than Internet Explorer.

i installed it fine, and set my base webpages.

i clicked on one of them (google) and it gave me this message:

Error!

Could not connect to remote server

You tried to access the address http://www.google.com/, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.

Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other applications that rely on the same connection are working.

Check that the setup of any Internet security software is correct and does not interfere with ordinary Web browsing.

If you are behind a firewall on a Local Area Network and think this may be causing problems, talk to your systems administrator.

Try pressing the F12 key on your keyboard and disabling proxy servers, unless you know that you are required to use a proxy to connect to the Internet. Reload the page.

i tried all of those things, and i still get the same message.

any help?

(don't tell me to get Firefox. it gives me the same message with Firefox.)
Somewhere, something not connected properly. Check your modem, router, and restart your computer.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
idk, opera is what nintendo uses with the wii and sometimes it sucks monkey nuts.
Quote by bequickorbedead
Firefox > Safari > Opera > IE

Get firefox.

Secret to the Intervurse.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Telling someone to use a different browser isn't solving their problem and is just generally lame.

That isn't a problem with the browser, for whatever reason your browser can't get a connecting out. More than likely you have a firewall that is blocking it. Do other browsers work when you get that error?
Quote by LordSephiroth
Telling someone to use a different browser isn't solving their problem and is just generally lame.

Just because I couldn't solve his problem, doesn't mean I can't contribute to the thread. I've used Opera and I thing Firefox is far better. How is there anything wrong with letting him know that? I first heard of Firefox in a thread similar to this...
Opera>Firefox>Safari>all

idk what to tell you dude, Opera owns for me.
i was gonna say "youre not online" then i realized you posted this.
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Quote by bequickorbedead

Get firefox.

I am a mac lover, and even I know that safari is the worst designed browser available.
Opera is open source.

to TS, if you're running windows, the program may not have permission to access the interwebs. Go to your antivirus/control panel and fix it.
Quote by bequickorbedead

Get firefox.

QFT.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Quote by JMTrio134

I am a mac lover, and even I know that safari is the worst designed browser available.
Opera is open source.

to TS, if you're running windows, the program may not have permission to access the interwebs. Go to your antivirus/control panel and fix it.

I use Firefox and Safari, and Safari is definitely better than Opera.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Quote by JMTrio134

Opera is open source.

It's simple, fast and looks good. I even use the safari skin on Firefox

...and theres no way you can say it's worse than IE

Opera's not bad, but it didn't impress me at all. I have to admit it's the one I've used least out of them all. I tried it for a week to see what it was like, and I'd still pick Safari over it. There was no reason I wanted to continue using it. I'd definitely pick Firefox over all 3 though...
Quote by clearchaos
i downloaded Opera, as my friend has it and i like it a lot more than Internet Explorer.

i installed it fine, and set my base webpages.

i clicked on one of them (google) and it gave me this message:

i tried all of those things, and i still get the same message.

any help?

(don't tell me to get Firefox. it gives me the same message with Firefox.)

In IE do you have any sort of proxy settings that you haven't typed in to Opera? I'm assuming that IE still works so there is nothing wrong with your internet connection?