Ive heard things about tube amps being louder than SS amps,can someone give me an idea on what the difference is? Say,like,50 Watt tube would sound like __ Watt SS?
Were living in a world of fools,breaking us down,when they all should let us be.
I am pretty certain that 100 watts of ss is equivalent to 10 watts of tube. so 50 watt tube would be like 500 watts of ss. Most of solid state wattage is lost as heat and other stuff, don't ask....
My Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0, 1.5, 1.14
Quote by guitarmenace12
I am pretty certain that 100 watts of ss is equivalent to 10 watts of tube. so 50 watt tube would be like 500 watts of ss. Most of solid state wattage is lost as heat and other stuff, don't ask....

I don't think that's correct... I dunno what is, but that doesn't seem right.
The only real advice that I can give you is my friend used to have a, I think, 40 watt marshall amp. It was half-tube the valvestate series. When he jammed with his group he would have to turn it up past half at least Now he's got a 60 watt All Tube amplifier and he barely turns it past 2 and a half. Also it completely wastes his rhythm guitarists 100W solid state half stack turned up to I think almost 7. Hopefully that will give you an Idea of the difference between solid state. Oh and one thing I also remembered. A little ten watt amplifier turned all the way up is as loud as a 50 Watt turned all the way up, solid state of course. Sorry I can't really offer much help but that is all I know about tube amp wattage.
ive always heard that its in the region of 2-3x the wattage of valve amps compared to solid state, so a 30-40w valve will be similar to a 100w solid state, or thereabouts, but thats probably fairly distorted, i guess clean headroom would be lower
it depends on the amp and how overdriven the sound is. clean they will be about the same, with the tube amp driven hard it will sound about twice as loud due to even order harmonics, but on a dB meter they will both come out about the same.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by guitarmenace12

Wrong on so many levels.

Tube sound is roughly 2-2.5 louder. So a 15 watt tube is about 30-40 watts SS. It depends on the amp though.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by guitarmenace12

ummm, no...
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm