Could I get a list of scales and their info?

I don't need pentatonic, this is just for Music Theory class

Like Mixolydian starts on B and has a b7, if I'm not mistaken
Last edited by johand77 at Mar 17, 2008,
Quote by johand77
Could I get a list of scales and their info?

I don't need pentatonic, this is just for Music Theory class

Like Mixolydian starts on B
and has a b7, if I'm not mistaken

what??

read the sticky at the top of the forums in musician talk
Quote by bigtimber112
what??

read the sticky at the top of the forums in musician talk

In Music Theory the teacher was talking about how the starting tone of mixolydian is b, and Dorian is d and Phyrgian is e, etc etc

can you explain this?

I checked this sticky, I wasn't thinking lol
Quote by johand77
In Music Theory the teacher was talking about how the starting tone of mixolydian is b, and Dorian is d and Phyrgian is e, etc etc

can you explain this?

Ah.. I see

What he is talking about is that the modes derived from the C major scale. I won't go into a long lecture or anything, but the names of the modes and their intervals derived from staring on different notes of the c major scale.

ie: Dorian came from the second note of the C major scale which is D, and has a b3 and a b7.

Just read the sticky
Quote by johand77

can you explain this?

C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian
B Locrian

All have the same notes, but different tonics. They are rarely used over anything other than vamps. THEY ARE ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SCALES.
Quote by bigtimber112
Ah.. I see

What he is talking about is that the modes derived from the C major scale. I won't go into a long lecture or anything, but the names of the modes and their intervals derived from staring on different notes of the c major scale.

ie: Dorian came from the second note of the C major scale which is D, and has a b3 and a b7.

Just read the sticky

The B Mixolydian mode is not derived from the C major scale, it's derived from E major. In C major the mode beginning with B is Locrian.

TS: To explain it simply, the modes are simply re-orderings of the major scales in this case. They take the notes of a specific major scale and are constructed using those notes beginning on different root notes. They're usually used over very simple one or two chord vamps because they're harmonically unstable and often times modal pieces will simply want to resolve to the tonic of the key if the chording is done incorrectly.