what's up all.

i've been playing guitar on and off for a while, but just recently got serious (still a beginner). i have an older ibanez/crate starter pack with cheap ibanez rg series and a cheap mx 10 amp.

i have been wanting better tone for a while, but i am also still learning to play. i would eventually like to be able to play classic rock and mostly metal.

i wanted to get a new amp, was thinking of the blackheart 5w half stack because the crate just doesn't have good tone. then i realized i could get a peavy valveking 112 for around 300 used. i live in a townhouse and won't be gigging any time soon so i don't need a lot of volume.

so i was pretty much set on a tube amp until i was at the guitar shop and picked up an ibanez s series (lower model maybe 320 or something). i just played the guitar unplugged for a few minutes and it felt so much better than the one i have now.

so question is at this period in time am i better off buying a new axe or an amp? i would like to have better tone, but will a better guitar help my playing improve (not considering tone).

i have about $400 to spend maybe a bit more but would rather stay under.

thanks
peace
Everyone's gonna say amp. They always do.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by ManInAClownSuit

i saw the title of this thread, and thought i would be answering amp. then i read the thread and decided to answer amp.

yeah, i guess he's right.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
amp is about 90% of your tone. thats why everyone says amp.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Quote by ManInAClownSuit

Got that right.
Well, i dont think you really need the new guitar, you just wanted because you liked it.
It's like the kid that liked his school lunch, till he looked at the other table and saw that the others had better food (???) and started to dislike his food for that reason.

You know what im trying to say?

just buy a new amp, it's what you really want and need
Looking for a new sig!
dude. get a guitar. since your a beginner, your going to be wanting to play a lot. you should play even when your no where near an amp. play while you watch tv, on the computer, taking a piss or a ****. it dont matter. and save up for a good amp. by then youll know exactly what your looking for. and get a nice guitar. ibanezs are great. the playability is unbelievable. for me, playability comes before tone anyways.
Ask yourself: which one is more important to YOU? The feel or the tone? If you absolutely can't stand the way your guitar plays and feels, and you can live with your tone, then get the guitar. If you absolutely can't stand your tone and can live with the guitar, then get the amp. It's as simple as that.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Get the blackheart, because it's smaller. You don't need 30w tube if you're not gigging.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by mafropetee
Ask yourself: which one is more important to YOU? The feel or the tone? If you absolutely can't stand the way your guitar plays and feels, and you can live with your tone, then get the guitar. If you absolutely can't stand your tone and can live with the guitar, then get the amp. It's as simple as that.

That's what I did and ended up with a Hellraiser and a Spider. I'm glad I did though, because that guitar was crap, even compared to a Spider.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
I was in the same spot as you. I ended up getting an amp first and it changed a lot. I eventually got a guitar but the sound never changed too much, just a bit. Though the feeling of the guitar is a lot better. Um... Yeah.

Get an Amp.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
take your guitar to the store and try it on the valveking, then try the S series on something similar to your current amp. I would go for feel over tone if you're just starting.