Hi guys,

Ive been playing a MG50DFX for about 6 months and im fed up with it as you could understand. So heres the deal, i have about 2500 Australian to spend on a new marshall. I play mainly classic rock, mainly guns n roses, led zeppelin, deep purple etc. Whats the best amp i could get for this price?

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Studio: Put in Seymour duncan alnico pros recently. Replaced machine heads, volume and tone controls also.

Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Marshall Bluesbreaker Pedal
Boss Metal Zone (which is hardly used these days)
Digitech RP50 Effects Pedal
Honestly if i were you i'd look into Orange Amps.. Perhaps a Rocker 30 and some sort of boost.. or an AD30HTC.. IMO Orange out does Marshall at Marshall tone nowadays, if you were overseas i'd advise you to go used but out here its not really an option.. If you have to get Marshall i suggest the Vintage Modern, its a lil hard to dial in a good tone but once you have its pretty damn good. Another thing you could do if you're open to it is buy an amp from the US (Splawn quick rod?) and have it shipped out here. Only two problems with that are; 1) you will have to get a power converter 2) you can only really ship out a head, cabs and combos become to big and heavy.
Buy an orange.
Quote by nirvallica
Honestly if i were you i'd look into Orange Amps.. Perhaps a Rocker 30 and some sort of boost.. or an AD30HTC.. IMO Orange out does Marshall at Marshall tone nowadays, if you were overseas i'd advise you to go used but out here its not really an option.. If you have to get Marshall i suggest the Vintage Modern, its a lil hard to dial in a good tone but once you have its pretty damn good. Another thing you could do if you're open to it is buy an amp from the US (Splawn quick rod?) and have it shipped out here. Only two problems with that are; 1) you will have to get a power converter 2) you can only really ship out a head, cabs and combos become to big and heavy.

Unless you can crank 50 watts when you wnat a good tone, no.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
you could probably outfit yourself with a good JCM2000 for that kind of money, depending on what kind of deal you can get on the cab.

for what you're playing, you could go with a DSL50 or DSL100, or if you really think you need that much gain, a TSL60 or TSL120. the dsl has more than enough gain to do GN'R, Zep, and Deep Purple.

i play an epiphone les paul with gibson '57 reissue pickups, and it sounds sweet on my marshall.

one thing i recommend with a new marshall is that you put in some good tubes, at least JJ's. the stock tubes are good, but not the best.
Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. The plan will be to pay with cash, as this will shave a couple of hundred off the price
Last edited by slashedaxl103 at Mar 17, 2008,
Theres no tube Marshall out nowadays below 50 watts? Unless you get a clone which isn't really an option in Aus. And plus, led zep and GNR used power tube overdrive, you know, from cranking their amps. If he wants that tone thats what he'll have to do.

Anyway, I'm on your side, I suggested Orange.
Quote by kool98769
Buy an orange.

Unless you can crank 50 watts when you wnat a good tone, no.

+52.4
DSL401 is discontinued and the reissues are out of his price range here in Aus
A cheaper, and better sounding alternative would be a Laney GH50L.
50 Watts, all tube.
It's loud, and it sounds absolutely amazing.
If you could find a second hand JCM800, I'd take that, but otherwise, look at the GH50L.
Won't be regretted.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult