Anyone have any tips for using them? I learned how to play them, but what would I play it over? Just like any chord? CM13 over CM? blah blah? A CM13 contains every note in the scale, so couldn't I play it over any chord in the key of CM as long as I resolved it to a chord tone?
Last edited by ouchies at Mar 17, 2008,
C13 and Cmaj13 are NOT the same thing. Which do you mean?

Edit: Neither will contain all 7 notes, not on a guitar. You only have six strings (usually) and the 5th, 9th, and 11th are often left out.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
C13 and Cmaj13 are NOT the same thing. Which do you mean?

Edit: Neither will contain all 7 notes, not on a guitar. You only have six strings (usually) and the 5th, 9th, and 11th are often left out.

Isn't the root dropped as well, after the 5th?
Use dominant 13th chords in place of a regular Dominant chord (7th, or the 5th chord in a major progression)

Use Minor 13th in place of minor chords, and Maj13th in place of major chords...

Thats it really...unless you want to get really in depth with the theory.
Quote by rizo299
"To: North Korea

Hey Kim DONG Il. Got nukes yet? DIDN'T THINK SO.

Here's some help with getting one built.

GOATSE.CX

Your pal Obama"

Quote by shenanigans
Use dominant 13th chords in place of a regular Dominant chord (7th, or the 5th chord in a major progression)

Use Minor 13th in place of minor chords, and Maj13th in place of major chords...

Thats it really...unless you want to get really in depth with the theory.

Well technically can't I play any diatonic M13 or m13 or 13th arpeggio over any other chord as long as I resolved it? Or would that be bad.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Isn't the root dropped as well, after the 5th?
I don't remember much about rootless voicings, but you don't HAVE to play it rootless.

EDIT: What does M13 mean? Please type out CM13 as I do not know this notation.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I don't remember much about rootless voicings, but you don't HAVE to play it rootless.

EDIT: What does M13 mean? Please type out CM13 as I do not know this notation.

Capital M usually means maj... C, E, G, B.

If only people could standardize notation
Gah, just do a scalar run instead of a 13th arpeggio. Anyway..

Cmaj13: 1 3 5 7 9 11 13
C13: 1 3 5 b7 9 11 13
Cm13: 1 b3 5 b7 9 11 13

As BGC said: Edit: Neither will contain all 7 notes, not on a guitar. You only have six strings (usually) and the 5th, 9th, and 11th are often left out.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
he is making a fair point. i have the same issue with chords that are so far extended that they are not really any one degree.

13, maj13 or m13, it doesnt matter... they all contain every note of a scale (just different scales) so it all comes down to your voicing, as to which chord it is and what sound you get.
Quote by branny1982
he is making a fair point. i have the same issue with chords that are so far extended that they are not really any one degree.

13, maj13 or m13, it doesnt matter... they all contain every note of a scale (just different scales) so it all comes down to your voicing, as to which chord it is and what sound you get.

Thank you for answering
This seems straightforward enough...

If you're playing a CM13 arpeggio, you're really just using the C major scale in some pre-determined pattern that you've come up with. So, yes, you can use it over any chord in the key of C and just resolve it (if that's what you want).
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out