Poll: Which is the best jazz bassline?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the best jazz bassline?
FbSa
12 50%
Piro Gonzalez
5 21%
Stud_Muffin
7 29%
Voters: 24.
Yet another voting thread for Bass Wars IV: jazz.

Remember we're judging original basslines. Vote for your favourite on the basis of how it fulfils the brief as a jazz bassline and the quality of the writing and playing. Recording quality is NOT to be taken into account.

Entrants are:

FbSa
Piro Gonzalez (download)
Stud_Muffin

Poll will close in a week so get listening and voting!
Last edited by smb at Mar 17, 2008,
Allow me to apologize in advance for this. It's not really even as "jazz" as I wanted, kind of fusion-y and very bad, haha. Oh, and it's mixed Jesus low as all fuck.

Not expecting to last past this round.
Quote by Angels Fighter
we once had night of just slapping each others ass. Is that incest?

call me evan.

bass militia's pretentious dick. pm dinkydaisy.

the trap i set for you seems to've caught my leg instead.

<meh> I'm pro black penis in my bum
Last edited by Piro Gonzalez at Mar 17, 2008,
For a louder volume: www.myspace.com/evangonzalez
Quote by Angels Fighter

call me evan.

Last edited by Piro Gonzalez at Mar 17, 2008,
Piro I'm only getting like a 5 second clip when I click your link. I assume thats not right. But I'll comment on the others:

Fman- Interesting to listen to, though the upright to (I hope it was electric) transition was a little iffy. Also didn't sound very much within my very small knowledge of jazz.

Stud- Nice idea, but the execution was a little off. They say don't take recording quality into account, but if some notes distort and others dont, you should change dynamics or adjust your input volume on your computer (I think thats how you recorded). The overall sound of the bassline was good though (as in notes).
Wow, do you realize how low that is? I had to unplug my cans, crank the speaker and hold it up to my ear...

Anyway, none of these songs impressed. They were all focus-less, meandering twitters. There were time issues in all of them. I'm going to have to go with Orlando's (even though it was quite boring to me) because his had at least a promise to be a good song and had a few ideas. Sorry to be blunt, but I'm tired and couldn't think of a nicer way to put it.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Wow, do you realize how low that is?

Yes. I had to download completely foreign software that wouldn't record louder than that.
Quote by Angels Fighter

call me evan.

They were all a bit prissy. But my knowledge of jazz in Nil so I'm not voting.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
I didn't like any of them, but at least FbSa used an upright (+20 jazz points), and was tighter than Stud.
I think FbSa's was at least KIND of going somewhere. Had a progression and everything. And yeah, the upright in correlation to the electric was pretty cool. Simply from an objective, sound-aesthetic perspective, you understand, not from a bassist's perspective.

I will say that Stud's had some great promise. The only problem - and I learned this the hard way back when I played Clarinet in a jazz/gospel combo - is yours was too discontinuous. Very predictable rests. It killed the flow. Your phrases needed to be longer and more coherent, and more ALIVE. Sorry for the ambiguous language. But you were definitely getting there!

Piro, yours had a similar problem. But it seemed even less focused. Less of the phraseology problem than Stud, but much more of an "interesting" problem. You could use some work on it.

Vote goes to FbSa.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Yeah,I kinda BS'd my way through it. The first "solo" or melodic electric part was redone in one take. I had deleted the original (Which wasn't to terribly better) and then for some dumb-*ss reason deleted it, saved my piece, then exited out of Audacity to listen to it as an Mp3, noticed it was missing, and then had a mental "breakdown" (Me throwing cheez-its at random objects)

Stud- Yours to me didn't have a set groove. It had nice little bits and pieces in there, and the drumtrack was cool, but overall didn't impress me. (Much like my own!)

Piro- I ended up only hearing a good 30 seconds of yours overall, what I heard I thought was a good first draft. Something to center your ideas around. One thing you could do is throw in a total rapage solo line on top of what you had, plus add in a stronger support line for it.

I obviously voted for myself. (not because I thought it was the best, but because I'm shallow) But none of them (including mine) where outstanding, they were more simply starting points, that we should have expanded on.
My vote goes to FbSa. Kudos on the upright (braver man than I am) to electric transitions. While a bit undeveloped, it had the spirit of jazz and the feel.

WhyLater has covered the issues with the others, so I won't add more. He hit the nail on the head.
All three had issues, wether it be volume, timing, melodies, or just plain style, but FbSa had an upright, and that sold it for me. Plus the chorus effect was cool! I lol'd when I first heard it.