Well this is the first time ive had to turn down a lady and i'm not sure if I sounded mean or not. I said something along the lines of "I really like you as a friend but i don't want take it that far". So did I sound a douche or an idiot? Btw I've only known her for a about a week.
You said probably the best thing to say in such a situation. Those are awkward scenarios; whatever you do could f*ck you over.
Spiral Out
Just divert your eyes and say, "Ummmmmmmmmm..." for a really long time,

they will figure it out for themselves.
Scenario 1:
"You wanna go out."
"Listen, blah blah blah . . ."
"Okay."

Scenario 2:
"You wanna go out."
"Okay, but I'm going to stalk you and ask you out again, because I'm creepy like that."
"GET THE **** OUT OF MY LIFE!"
"But okay, I just want to be friends."
"Okay, fine, whatever."
"Just kidding, I'm using this fake friendship in order to be close to you."
"Listen girl, that's just not healthy, refer back to the fourth line of Scenario 2."
" . . ."
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
You tell her no politely, then, with her still nearby, run to your nearest friend and yell "DUDE, GUESS WHAT JUST HAPPENED TO ME."

Although you may be the root cause of a suicide, it will regardless get the girl to back off.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
"NO I WILL NOT MAKE OUT WITH YOU!" when around a lot of people. cookie to whoever gets the reference
Quote by Jackintehbox
No.

+1 thats all ya need. The word is there for a reason
Quote by Burtonjp
Thats right.. I'm drooling over your body... *walks off and registers as a gay sex offender *

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Lucky...I'm never put in that position because no girls ever ask me out... On the plus side, there are a few girls who can manage to talk to me on a daily basis without slapping me. I think those are called "friends."

Back on topic: I see no problem with your approach.
Quote by strat335
"NO I WILL NOT MAKE OUT WITH YOU!" when around a lot of people. cookie to whoever gets the reference

Billy Madison, now feed me!
By reading this magnificently and wonderful, adjective-filled signature, you have just wasted approximately 7 seconds of your life.
"I can only hope I'm not sending you down a spiral of depression with this pointlessly long response: No."
get off my d*** girl
Gear
-----------
LTD M-1000 (soon)
LTD EC-400
LTD F-50
Spider II 112
Lol yeah imagine this:

GIRL: "Do you like me?"
Guy: "No."
Girl: "...."
Guy: "......."
Girl: *starts to cry*
Guy: " yeah... well i got to go later"
Quote by sSyLc
Scenario 1:
"You wanna go out."
"Okay."

Scenario 2:
"You wanna go out."
"Okay, but I'm going to stalk you and ask you out again, because I'm creepy like that."
"GET THE **** OUT OF MY LIFE!"
"But okay, I just want to be friends."
"Okay, fine, whatever."
"Just kidding, I'm using this fake friendship in order to be close to you."
"Listen girl, that's just not healthy, refer back to the fourth line of Scenario 2."
" . . ."

LOL

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild and freak out and do anything they want to do." - Jimi Hendrix

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." - John Lennon

I'm a GIRL!
Quote by strat335

adam sandler, billy madison.
"I was told you have a vagina. I'm not into that kind of thing. No"
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by strat335

???

Burning bag of POOP for anyone who DOESN'T get your referance. If you haven't seen Billy Madison you should just go crawl back in your hole. lol
Most of you are saying I said the best thing but I still feel like a complete douche bag...
Oh no, you definitely said no in a nice way, but when you're out of school you'll regret not boning every girl that gave you the chance.
Quote by PTfan
Most of you are saying I said the best thing but I still feel like a complete douche bag...

That's because you aren't one. I'm not being sarcastic either, it's the truth. The girl's probably crushed, but breaking up with her after a week of awkwardness would not have been any better.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by Powerhouse
The best way to say no is to add a profanity in front of it.

My avatar > yours.

But I agree.
A bit of manly headstomping to prove your point never goes amiss either.
Quote by Jericho114
???

Burning bag of POOP for anyone who DOESN'T get your referance. If you haven't seen Billy Madison you should just go crawl back in your hole. lol

YOU CALLED THE **** POOP!
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by adamungar1
Billy Madison, now feed me!

here ya go...

TS, you said it one of the best ways possible. i always feel like a jackass when i turn girls down, but that's a good way to do it.
Quote by Powerhouse
The best way to say no is to add a profanity in front of it.

Girl:Hey, you wanna check out these tits?
TS:ASS NO!
I don't. I take whatever I can get whenever I can get.

Something like
Girl: Do you like me?
Me: I don't, but I don't know you much. I can change. You seem like an interesting person (though I know nothing about her at all ), I'd like to get to know you better.
Quote by iamnotrabid
Girl:Hey, you wanna check out these tits?
TS:ASS NO!

Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
"Whoa bitch settle it down! Are you saying im the greatest person in the world?"
haha
Quote by StratPat
****, nah I've never got anything like that, I just get 'YOU'VE WON THE MOTHERFUUCKIN LOTTERY IN IREELAND SEND ME UR DETAILS N U GET 10 000 000 DOLLLAAZZ"

But I'm sure some paid hitman wouldn't email that, and would have better grammar