The B string on my old Squire can't stay in tune. It's alright for a little but as soon as I give it some bends it goes a couple steps down.

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money seeing as it's my old, secondary guitar. I've got a Gretsch I usually pay.

Any idea what could be wrong or how I could fix it.
The nut could possibly be slack.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
You're gonna have to replace the tuners. Both my friend's with Squires had to change their tuners.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by whosamerica
its because its a squire. cheap tuners cant stand tension of strings and loosen.

that
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by whosamerica
its because its a squire. cheap tuners cant stand tension of strings and loosen.

Yeah I figured it was because it was cheap, but I played it almost everyday for two years with no problems. Then I stopped for a couple months when I got the Gretsch. I just recently picked it up and noticed the problem.

Could it be fixed for cheap?
i heard of tuner lockers (they made be called something else i really dont know a lot about them i just heard that term once. In fact they may not exist)
Quote by masterohumans
i heard of tuner lockers (they made be called something else i really dont know a lot about them i just heard that term once. In fact they may not exist)

You are correct. They come with a Locking Trem. system.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Do the tuners feel loose? If they are you can tighten then up with the little screws that are on the sides of the head.
it' a squier. what do you expect? a lot of strats go out of tune fast. get a new guitar.
Quote by apak
it' a squier. what do you expect? a lot of strats go out of tune fast. get a new guitar.

I guess you didn't read. I have a Gretsch which I usually play. I had the Squier first and it's my "just-in-case" guitar. I'd just like to get it fixed.
Like Silky Smooth said, do the tuners have play in them or are they relatively tight? Replacing your tuners is not as necessary as it used to be. Before oyu go shelling out for locking tuners, make sure the tuners are the problem. They rarely are. First off, make sure you're using the right strings for what the nut is cut for. Too large a set of strings or an improperly cut nut will bind the srings as they pull through for bends or tremolo use. YOu can tell this is happening if you hear a pinging or plinking sound as you tune up and it suddenly goes from flat to sharp.

Short term fixes you can try are using some sort of lubricant like nut sauce, or in a pinch, groudn up pencil lead. The graphite will act as a lubricant and allow the string to pass across the nut more easily. Apply to the string tree if necessary as well.

New tuners are great for looks and locking tuners are great for quick string changes or if you use the whammy a lot, but make sure you actually need (or really want) them before you go shell out the money for them.
Even the cheapest, $30 guitars cna stay in tune perfectly fine, even if you play them to death with crap strings and over-use a crap tremolo.

99.99% of tuning problems have nothing to do with the quality of the guitar, or it's hardware. It's simply because the last time it was re-strung, it was strung incorrectly.

I'm not saying there is *never* a p[roblem with a guitar that will give tuning problems, but the vast, vast majority of the time, you can solve all tuning issues just be re-stringing the guitar properly.
For binding i've found that abrasive cord really helps. You can get a roll off stew mac for a few bucks.
I have a squire and it stays in tune for days even when being played alot and doing heavy bends. Dont know how long you keep strings on a guitar. But tightening the little screws at the knobs does help. And graphite in the nut slots. I dont use a pencil a little tube of it can be bought for a few bucks and has lots of uses. And the wammy is blocked on mine. If it only happens with old strings then you know the problem.
Well, the strings were on there for a while. A couple months I think. I changed them and had the same problem. I'm not worry about it since it's just a back-up, but I'll think about it.

Thanks to all who helped.
Quote by Silky Smooth
Do the tuners feel loose? If they are you can tighten then up with the little screws that are on the sides of the head.

I believe she is dead on with this post. Good luck.
Loosen the string, and rub a pencil in the nut slots, the graphite is what does it. I had the same problem with my SG and that fixed it perfectly. You probably won't need new tuners or anything like that.