I've been playing for a couple years now, and I could never really figure out what to do with those knobs on my guitar. I've read things, but i don't really move them. The two volumes are all the way to 10, as are the tone knobs. I can't hear very much difference, as opposed to the tone knob on my amp, which I usually use instead. Generally, I play with a good bit of distortion, so I was thinking maybe that was covering it up.

I have an SG so I have a knob for each pick-up.

Does anybody have any suggestions for certain combinations or maybe just a better explanation in general as to what each knob is specifically going to do depending on whether I'm using the treble, bridge, or both pick-ups?
Usually you just leave them at 10 for metal. Might turn down tone for Jazz or Blues and such, and might turn down one volume or another if using both pickups to get more diverse tones.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by ManInAClownSuit
Usually you just leave them at 10 for metal. Might turn down tone for Jazz or Blues and such, and might turn down one volume or another if using both pickups to get more diverse tones.

I see, I see. I usually can't tell the difference if I turn down the volume of one or the other when I'm using both. I'll probably have to mess around with it more later.
Try putting your amp on clean and twisting the tone knobs to 0. You should notice some difference.

Also, what a lot of Gibson owners do is turn one pickup to 10 and the other to 0, and switch rapidly between them while hitting a single note. It produces a pretty cool effect.
Turn your volume knob down with the distortion on your amp on.
You should notice a drop in gain, which when used properly can be a pretty cool effect, and a great alternative to switching channels.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by restless_thrash
Try putting your amp on clean and twisting the tone knobs to 0. You should notice some difference.

Also, what a lot of Gibson owners do is turn one pickup to 10 and the other to 0, and switch rapidly between them while hitting a single note. It produces a pretty cool effect.

Everyone can do that if they have two pickups and knobs, Gibson owners aren't special that way

Basically you're going to get the same difference you would with an amp; turn it up; it will get more distorted. Turn it down, and it will be smooth/cleaner.

It took me a while to discover the stuff I could do with them, but once I tried it out it's added a lot of depth to my playing. Just mess around and see what you can do.
Like everyone says.
Metal = 10
Jazz = not ten

For my clean stuff I play with tone at 7 roughly and the volume at 8 1/2, sounds very nice if you up your treble and give a mid boost and maybe drop some bass....very nice clean tone.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
You've been playing for a few years, and you never touch your tone and volume knobs...
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by Flying Afros
You've been playing for a few years, and you never touch your tone and volume knobs...

Why, thank you. That helped me so much. Sure, I mess with them, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Why do you think I made this thread?
It has been said that the use of the guitar's volume knob is what separates the guitarists from the musicians. I'm not sure I agree, but people who don't use it are definitely missing out. It allows you to get any amount of gain from a single channel amp. I usually set my amp on 10, and adjust it from my guitar instead. But, with some really good amps, you get the same effect by just picking lighter; which I prefer.

With tone knobs, it depends on the guitar, IMO. I never touch them on strats, but on teles and LPs it's necessary. I use it to balance out the pickups, or to add/remove treble when necessary (try starting with them at 5).
Last edited by mr_hankey at Mar 18, 2008,
It sort of irks me when people simply don't know simple things about their instruments.

Spend some time on the clean channel turning the knobs individually and finding out what they do. You'll probably have a few "oh ****!" moments when you discover new sounds that you won't believe you went so long without.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by edusty2010
Everyone can do that if they have two pickups and knobs, Gibson owners aren't special that way

I think what he meant was that on LPs and Sgs, there are knobs for each pickup, so when you switch between the two pickups, you switch between the 2 settings very quickly. Lots of guitars dont have tone knobs for each pickup...
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric

Epi LP Custom w/ Active EMG's

Vox Valvetronix AD50VT (this thing is a BEAST! )