I have been practicing a little on my dad's car, and it's a standard, and I am having some trouble with it. I just got my license, and have enough for a car, and everyone I have heard of driving a standard really likes it, and I like the idea of that much control in the car. But how long will it take to get used to it? Let's say I bought it, and drove around my block a couple times a day. Will I be a lot more comfortable? Any ideas on how long it takes for it to become second nature? How long did it take any of you to get better?
An hour a day driving Manual on major roads and neighbourhoods for like 3 months.
You'll get better.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by Flying Couch
Didn't take me more than a week.

Do it. Manuals rock.

PEER PRESSURE

But i say go automatic....or manumatic....the best of both worlds...either way, its inevitable that robots will one day rule the world anyways
It won't take that long to get better. It took me about a month to get pretty good. It helped me alot to drive around the neighborhood with all the stop signs and such, because getting going is generally the hardest part. If you just keep driving it around, it'll become second nature and you won't even realize you're doing it.
I've been using a manual transmission since I was 10, starting with a Yamaha TT-R125 dirt bike. Now I drive a Mercedes C230 Sport, manual of course.

The only hard thing should be starting off, which just takes practice. If you are on a steep hill, use the e-brake to hold the car, and as soon as you start moving quickly release the e-brake. After a while you won't even need the e-brake anymore.

As for shifting, the worst that can happen is that you let go of the clutch too soon, which makes a sickening groan and puts premature wear on your transmission, but it's nothing serious.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
not long, plus if you get a manual some are 'more fuel efficient' I don't know exactly why, but because my dad bought a standard Honda Civic instead of an automatic, he got $1000 back from the government.
They suck if you drink coffie in the morning. They are good in a car with some power, but if its a low powered car they aren't much fun. In about a month you'll be doing fine.
Starting from a stop is soo ****ING HARD!! I can't get it. Once every 10 attempts I do it right, the rest I either stall or get off to a really rough start. Once I'm going, though, I'm just fine.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by philipp122
I've been using a manual transmission since I was 10, starting with a Yamaha TT-R125 dirt bike. Now I drive a Mercedes C230 Sport, manual of course.

The only hard thing should be starting off, which just takes practice. If you are on a steep hill, use the e-brake to hold the car, and as soon as you start moving quickly release the e-brake. After a while you won't even need the e-brake anymore.

As for shifting, the worst that can happen is that you let go of the clutch too soon, which makes a sickening groan and puts premature wear on your transmission, but it's nothing serious.
This is the best advice. If you can master 1st gear on a steep incline and get through traffic jams without stalling...you're pretty much set.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
would i be wrong in thinking that most cars in britain are manual

if you cant drive a manual you pretty much cant drive! :P
www.myspace.com/adayoverdue

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Epiphone SG-black lefthand
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
Quote by mickyd
would i be wrong in thinking that most cars in britain are manual

if you cant drive a manual you pretty much cant drive! :P

most in north america are automatic (it's what my parents own) but I do like driving around my gf's dad's new mustange (its a standard)
Yeah there are hardly any automatics here, and pretty much everyone learns to drive in a manual unless they're a complete retard.
Quote by Muphin
Starting from a stop is soo ****ING HARD!! I can't get it. Once every 10 attempts I do it right, the rest I either stall or get off to a really rough start. Once I'm going, though, I'm just fine.

You're probably letting off the clutch too quickly. How fast you let off the clutch really matters from a complete stop, once your going it doesn't really matter. Let off halfway first, then slowly let off the rest of the way.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
It took me about an hour in a parking lot to learn.
There were plenty of steep hills to practice on.
I concentrated mostly on starting from a complete stop and on an incline because shifting gears isn't difficult at all.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Well, I base it more off where you live. If you live in the hilly country, manual all the way. If you live in a city, driving manuel will be the worst torture imaginable.

Assuming you live in a more country-ish area, go manuel for funsies.
Quote by TehNez
You're probably letting off the clutch too quickly. How fast you let off the clutch really matters from a complete stop, once your going it doesn't really matter. Let off halfway first, then slowly let off the rest of the way.

That's definitely the problem, but if I let off it slowly I always roll back. That's not good.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
uhh, it took me a day. my dad taught me in his car. im not saying i was a pro, but i got good at it within a couple of weeks.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

I might actually be buying a manual car soon, used of course...it seems like for what's in my price range, there are precious few automatics.
Quote by Grimme
I know plenty believe me. I've seen both Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine live, so don't tell me I don't know my metal.

www.myspace.com/awkwardsilencemusic
alright thanks for all the help, so what I got from that, was practice my starts/stops and I should be set?
Quote by Flying Couch

Do it. Manuals rock.

So i want to go to my friends house and my dad says. You can't take your car, take the "red one" (referring to the 1968 Volvo P1800) instead. So, my first "crash course" was driving this car i had no idea how to operate to my friends. I almost died a few times along the way. Never stalled it, but it did takes some time to get used to it.

The hardest part is taking off; at least i think so. Once you get on the highway or up to 30mph+ its easy to switch between gears. The clutch will become second nature after a week. Dont lug the engine or redline it; good luck.
Quote by Flying Couch

Do it. Manuals rock.

+1
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
practice on hills, someone above said use the parking-brake, but i found that harder.
just let out the clutch a little so the tranny catches (not too much or itll stall) then start giving it a little gas. within a day of driving youll find where your clutch catches (its different for every car).
standards are not like automatics, dont use the brakes often, use your engine to slow you down (shift down). remember to let out the clutch slowly or itll catch.
all in all, if you can shift properly, it should take you a day to get used to the car. just get used to starting and stopping and the rest will come with time.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Yes, manuals are cool. But, don't think you don't have control because you drive an automatic. I drive automatic, and I control every shift. I downshift when I want. It's just a whole different beast than manual.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Muphin
That's definitely the problem, but if I let off it slowly I always roll back. That's not good.

My car ('93 Subaru Impreza), will keep the brakes on until you start going if you're on a hill, so you don't roll back at all. Crazy Japs are so much smarter than us dumb Americans.
Quote by CORT noob
Yes, manuals are cool. But, don't think you don't have control because you drive an automatic. I drive automatic, and I control every shift. I downshift when I want. It's just a whole different beast than manual.

true, but auto runs for revs. std you can choose when you want to shift, usually you can make them work a lot more efficient than autos. you can also take off faster in a std, if you try rev a little in an auto then pop it into drive youll just **** it up.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
I picked it up within a few minutes because cars have always been a huge obsession of mine, I've raced manual go karts and stuff for years before I got my license and even though my first car was an automatic I bought an old BMW manual a month later and I loved it. If you like driving manual you'll learn quick enough and I can barely stand driving automatics any more, it's so boring.
Quote by exiledsoul
true, but auto runs for revs. std you can choose when you want to shift, usually you can make them work a lot more efficient than autos. you can also take off faster in a std, if you try rev a little in an auto then pop it into drive youll just **** it up.

I choose when my vehicle shifts, in my Honda, I put it in "sport mode", and it will redline. I want to downshift? tap the brake lightly.

Or, in the case of my Bro's 92 Dodge shadow, when you get to ~40 miles an hour, the second gear looses acceleration, so you lift your foot of the gas very quickly and jam back on again to get into 3rd.

I have put it into neutral and reved, then shoved it into drive in an auto, but I don't recommend it.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
fair, but id still take a std any day.
ive only driven an auto for about a month of my life.
everything else my family has owned has been std, and everything i have owned has been std.
it just comes down to preference.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar

Quote by gsr2k6
i got my autos license since our family dont have manual cars. because i just couldnt stand catching the bus and paying for the extra lessons to learn manual.

you'll be find with autos, but sometimes having manuals gives you the advantage to look for cheaper cars too
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
It took me about a week to get it down. After about a month I didn't even notice I was driving a stick anymore.
Quote by DanRev
"Come over to my place, no ones home"

I went, there was no one home.
Quote by philipp122

WTF is an e-brake? It's a handbrake man, a handbrake! What's the "e" stand for anyways?
My brother owns a manual and I learned some basics on it, it's not the hardest thing, but it took my brother a few months to get it down to second nature. Personally I think it comes down to how much you enjoy driving. If you think driving is fun, you'll want a manual because it'll make driving more enjoyable for you, unless uyou're in the city where's there's buttloads of traffic. If you just drive to get from point A to B like I do, get an auto, I'm not a car nut, so manuals really don't hold much interest for me.
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
Quote by johnmalkin
WTF is an e-brake? It's a handbrake man, a handbrake! What's the "e" stand for anyways?

"Emergency", as in Emergency brake. Sometimes also called a "Parking" brake.