I'm currently looking to get a new amp. The most I can spend is around $600 USD, I can maybe do around $650 if I save up for another few weeks. I don't have a job so I can't just save up 100 bucks more very easily. I'm looking for really nice punchy, bassy sounding cleans. Like SRV or the clean on Little Wing. But I'd also like to be able to get a very nice sounding Jimmy Page-like crunch, but also be able to pour on some Hendrix fuzzy tone. I have pedals, so no problem with that. What kind of amp can handle all of that?

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Last edited by MrDinkleberry at Mar 17, 2008,
Quote by Guitarmiester
Are you willing to go used? Gigging?

Yes I'm more than willing to go used if it's worth it, and I will need to gig medium sized venues with it. By medium I mean around 100-200+ people.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Maybe a Peavey Classic 30 would be good for you, or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. But with the HRD, you'd definitely need pedals to get any kind of decent rock sound out of it, really. The Classic 30 has better overdrive on its own.
Peavey Classic 30 sounds like the best way to go. The Fender is a good choice too, although there is a lot of hate for the overdrive channel, although I quite liked it when I played one. You could also look at a Vox AC15. It may need to be mic'ed up for gigs but it has a very nice tone, ditto the Fender Blues Junior.

I am a fanboy, but once the Blackheart 15 watt amp comes out, look into that. Your best bet is to try before you buy, really. eBay and Craigslist are good ideas too. Regarding the HRD again, you could always buy a nice OD, and fuzz pedal, and just use them on the clean channel. Bear in mind that the Blues Deluxe, and Deville have recently been reissued and are considered superior to the HotRod range which they spawned.
Laney VC 15/30? Great Vintage tones, and a sweet clean, IMO right up your street for any blues or classic rock/Page-esque

EDIT: Just re-read and realised your in US. Oh well....I'll shut up then!
Last edited by UnicronAlliance at Mar 18, 2008,
The Peavey Classics are good, but the best amp for you -close to your budget- is the Traynor YCV 50 Blue. Fender cleans, Marshall crunch. Doesn't get much better than that.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
+1
Traynor is full of win.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by UnicronAlliance
Laney VC 15/30? Great Vintage tones, and a sweet clean, IMO right up your street for any blues or classic rock/Page-esque

EDIT: Just re-read and realised your in US. Oh well....I'll shut up then!

Laney is finally starting to get some recognition in the US. More retailers are beginning to carry their amps. Even Musiciansfriend.com has just begun to sell Laney.
+1 to the Classic or the Traynor. try and test out both if you can.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The Classic 30 was the first amp that came to mind. I've never heared a Traynor.