sorry guys, i need to know if i am doing things alright. i just started learning to play a month and week and half, i know the basic chords ( A, Am, D, Dm, C, G, E, Em, F) i have some problems with f chord but i know those will go away with practice, i know my Am pentatonic scale, it come out alright with minor mistakes. C mayor diatonic in only 2 positions. the problem is i haven't yet try to play a song due to the fact that i am not quick enough yet to change between chords quick. i know practice will help but i wanted to know if for a noob beginner this is so far so good? i have read on some theory but i don't want to jump ahead to far just yet, i want to get the basics good before i move forward to power chords, more scale, and barre chords.

also i play mostly unplugged because it seen to me that while i do my scale, and chords extra noise come out from the chords, i dont mean static or anything like that but i guess my fingers keep making noise when i move forward to the next string, if i go slow i can control it. HELP! what am i doing wrong or if anything am i doing anything right? much thanks
first guitar: epiphone les paul special II

amp: Fender champion 600
For playing a month i'd say you're pretty good just try to learn some power chords and try to learn Iron Man except for the solo is all pretty easy, also are you taking lessons?
just quit, if you cant play around 10 million then you just suck...and thats 10 million notes per second. i can play so fast that the sun will explode...

but in all seriousness, dont worry if your your not doing anything right or wrong...

the only thing you can do wrong is to give up.
no i am not taking lessons yet, i am trying to learn as much as a can first by myself , trying not to build too many bad habits, then once i find that wall i can't climb, or when i need to know more than what i can find on the internet or books i will surely need a teacher, specially for theory and to tell me what the hell i am doing wrong. thanks guys you are all always great help.
first guitar: epiphone les paul special II

amp: Fender champion 600
I'd forget the scales and stuff for a little while and concentrate on chords, trying to cram in too much at once will just confuse you. Don't worry about powerchords either, if you learn normal chords and barre chords then you actually learn powerchords by default, there's no need to learn them specifically.

You've got a few chords under your belt so look for a slow song that uses just those chords. You'll be slow at first, but you'll get faster by practicing the song itself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm a beginner as well and for both our sakes, could you possibly recommend some easy songs that use only open chords and perhaps a simple solo? When I was playing guitar at school I played this song at our school concert but I can't remember how it goes or what it was called...

I'm starting again. Or, I will be when I buy a guitar.
Here's a few to be getting on with, these are all basic chord arrangements for these songs. Bear in mind that they may not sound exactly how you expect because there's no riffs or lead parts there, it's literally just the chords so you can strum along...when you get familiar with the songs you can always look up a more complex version. Don't worry if there's the odd chord in there you don't recognise either, they'll all be based on the shapes you already know and will likely only have one note altered.

Bad Moon Rising, Creedence Clearwater Revival - D A G
Knocking on Heaven's Door, Bob Dylan - G D Am7 C
Rockin in the Free World, Neil Young - E D C G Em A
Hey Joe, Jimi Hendrix - C G D A E
Wild Thing, The Troggs - A D E G
House of the Rising Sun, The Animals- Am C D F E
Live Forever, Oasis - G D Am7 C Fmaj7 Em
Every Rose Has It's Thorn, Poison - G C D Em Cadd9
Brown Eyed Girl, Van Morrison - G C D Em D7
Same Jeans, The View - C F G F#
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 18, 2008,
You're right....my bad

fixed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc