I hate them... I've never tried 9's before. I have been paying 11's for a couple years or so... I bought a new guitar and it came with 10's. The 10's work great for drop D so I thought I would try 9's so I can get a little more bend out of them. Big mistake, so small I can't play it properly.

Guess I'm going b a c k to the shop in the morning to get some decent strings.

/rant
Same thing happened to me. I started playing slide with some 11s and went back to 9s for a little while to play without slide and I hated it. I don't think I'll ever go lower than 11 again.
You're a fool for putting in 9's on guitar that is in a dropped tuning.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by Flying Afros
You're a fool for putting in 9's on guitar that is in a dropped tuning.

I know... I'm sorry

lol
Quote by jake911
what do you mean get decent strings daddarios are good.

I meant a better gauge for my fingers
Try Dean Markley Blue Steel, they last a quite a bit longer then daddarios and sound great!
Quote by Zakk-H
Try Dean Markley Blue Steel, they last a quite a bit longer then daddarios and sound great!

dean markley is a solid brand. I've used them for a long time. 11-52's ro be exact.

I dontknow how anyone can play these 9-42 strings... I'm glad I didnt have to buy them
9s work fine for me...but im standard you crazy person!

dont drop tune on 9s lol.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by nvranka
9s work fine for me...but im standard you crazy person!

dont drop tune on 9s lol.

i wont... ever... again....
hey guys.. nt to take over ur thread or anything TS... but.. well i hav 9s on my guitar at the moment... is it a wiser move to go up to 10s or 11s.. and would i have to adjust the truss rod or innotation is i did so?
New Playlist On My Profile

Quote by chll
i think she's a horny type girl

cuz 1 tym io remember she asked me to kiss her
It depends on the scale length of the guitar too

11's on a les paul style isnt that bad, but on a strat scale length you better have some strong hands for that.
I used to play 9's but when i got my Jackson Dinky, with the FR, i went to play 10's cause that's what was on it. I recently played my friends Epiphone LP which has 9's on it and it was almost unplayable from a lead guitarist view anyway.

10's all the way!

Or

Hybrids...
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
my guitar teacher is telling me that a lead guitarist needs to use 8s or 9s and makes me use only those gauges, is this correct.

Quote by chll

Quote by BFMVrrule
my guitar teacher is telling me that a lead guitarist needs to use 8s or 9s and makes me use only those gauges, is this correct.

I play lead guitar and roll with 11s. Theres no steadfast rule to what guage you should play with, look at SRV with his 12s-16s. Sure as hell didn't stop him. Your teacher is probably on about shred guitar which is generally easier on lower guage strings.
ESP LTD DV8-R Dave Mustaine Sig - Livewire loaded
Laney LV300 Twin
Boss DS-2, AC-3, CS-3
Line6 XT Live
I use 9's on all my electric guitars.

But then again i rarely anything outside the standard tuning.
I love white guitars!
Quote by JackalUK
I play lead guitar and roll with 11s. Theres no steadfast rule to what guage you should play with, look at SRV with his 12s-16s. Sure as hell didn't stop him. Your teacher is probably on about shred guitar which is generally easier on lower guage strings.

thanks for that dude.. im thinking of going up a gauge to 10s next time a restring.. would i have to change the innotation or truss rod, or should i be right?

Quote by chll

My Martin came with D'addario 12's which I love the tone for, but I found too thick (hard to fit full-step bends) and I have extremly small hands. I normally use Martin 10's so I went down to 10's for d'addario but they don't feel they same and lack balls in the tone. I think I might try 11's.. but I'll stick with 10's for my Jackson
Yeah 9's are just right on strat scale length guitars for me

Still has plenty of tone and you can bend without getting CTS haha
Never heard of a rule that said lead guitar requires .8s or .9s. Guitar teachers have some pretty strange ideas sometimes. I use ddarrio 10s but dont do much drop tuning and use LPs. Never even tried .08 hard to find in most stores. And broke to many .9s.
yeah im thinking of going up to 10s.. and yeah hes a bit weird sumtimes lol

Quote by chll

Does he talk about chickens a lot and wear fast food items on his head?
hahahahahahaahhahahah i lol'd

lol nah he jus makes me learn creedence songs and analyse them lol

Quote by chll

When I first started playing I had 9s, but I broke too many strings so I wentup a gauge just to try, and it worked, a few years later I went to get a set of 9s again and it sounded too thin and was pretty crappy to play, I went and brought a set of 10s the next day and never turned back, I may get a set of 11s to try soon.
lol I recently went from 9's to 11s. Huge difference. And I love it. But I think that when I get another guitar I'll string it with 10s though.
I play out of tune like an idiot on .009's; since I'm used to .011's and .012's.
I used to play .009's, but then I decided to buy a pack of 0.010-0.052's. Best split second decision of my life.