Hi.

I was looking at two cheap tube amps, the valve junior and the Blues custom 30, not sure which to buy though.

The 30 looks great, nice speakers and always good reviews, but the valve junior is getting the same reviews and they seem easily modified.

The amp will mainly/always used at home.

Unfortunately the BC30 is not in stock at any of the shops near by, and only the valve jr combo is available (can it still be used as a head?)

Anyway the BC30 is looking like a better choice, probably give cleans at higher volumes but the valve junior looks like a great little beast and i could have fun modding it too.

What do you guys reckon? I know you must be sick of "which amp" threads, sorry

Btw, huge price difference between the amps, almost $600!
Well it really depends what you want out of your amp.

What styles are you going to be playing?

Also, why only Epiphone amps? And the Blues Custom is $550, so not quite $600 more
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well it really depends what you want out of your amp.

What styles are you going to be playing?

Also, why only Epiphone amps? And the Blues Custom is $550, so not quite $600 more

Wrong country buddy.

*australia*

we pay premium prices for our equipment, i would get a crate blackheart, cost $800 though!

Also, epiphone are the cheapest tube here, as i will be saving for a house i need all the cash i can!
The Valve Jr is a nice amp, though I haven't played the BC. If you want a gigging amp, the Blues Custom will be a better choice because you'll get a lot more headroom from it. Also, a pair of 12" speakers can be handy.

What kind of music are you looking to be playing?
Quote by Denthúl
The Valve Jr is a nice amp, though I haven't played the BC. If you want a gigging amp, the Blues Custom will be a better choice because you'll get a lot more headroom from it. Also, a pair of 12" speakers can be handy.

What kind of music are you looking to be playing?

Blues/Rock. Light metal will be possible, i don't these amps will take high gain pedals well.

Valve junior seems fine for quite level practice, won't be gigging. I assume the combo can has cab output's as well?
Yeah, it does.

You also have Ashton as an option, I think. They're made in Australia, so should be fairly cheap and might be more versatile. But speaking from experience, the Valve Jr. is a nice amp for blues and rock. And it will take most distortion pedals well enough.
Im sure in Aus, there are quite a few amps that are basically re-branded amps. There is one just like an Epi Jnr, almost identical in look and sound, but alot cheaper with a different name (I cant remember the Aus name) it may be Harley Benton (that is the name of the european version)
Not interested in Ashton.

Only need a small amp due to noise restrictions, jcm2000 handles everything outside of home.

Needs to not sound like a crappy solid state - hence i choose tubes.

Sounds like it will be fun to mod, can hook it up to the cabinet too.
Quote by Hakanku
Im sure in Aus, there are quite a few amps that are basically re-branded amps. There is one just like an Epi Jnr, almost identical in look and sound, but alot cheaper with a different name (I cant remember the Aus name) it may be Harley Benton (that is the name of the european version)

Legacy, same amp just re branded. I am quoting prices for legacy badged from BHydes.
Quote by dk2man
Not interested in Ashton.

Only need a small amp due to noise restrictions, jcm2000 handles everything outside of home.

Needs to not sound like a crappy solid state - hence i choose tubes.

Sounds like it will be fun to mod, can hook it up to the cabinet too.

Then the VJ is perfect for you.

Go forth and enjoy it.
I am now a happy owner of an epiphone branded valve jr.

I got the latest version (v.3?) with eminence speaker.

Sounds great and it breaks up later in the volume so i have cleans at lower levels.

Loud, much louder than i thought.

Got to let them tubes wear in though, how are you guys finding the lack of standby switch? Less tube life?
Quote by dk2man
Got to let them tubes wear in though, how are you guys finding the lack of standby switch? Less tube life?

Actually, a lot of people will argue that a standby switch is pointless anyway and doesn't make your tubes last longer. I think you'll be fine.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Actually, a lot of people will argue that a standby switch is pointless anyway and doesn't make your tubes last longer. I think you'll be fine.

Yeah, they will be fine i guess. Keeps them warm though i guess though it won't matter so much as it won't be gigged with.
Yeh, as long as when you first turn it on, you turn the volume on your guitar all the way down and let the tubes warm up, then there isnt much difference between that and the standy. Im glad the epi is doing you well.
Congrats on the amp

If you're interested in modding there's a VJ modding thread in GB&C, might wanna check that out. Also check out sewatt.com too... loads of mods and info on the VJ.