so i had this problem : http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804930

i went to a guitar center and the guy said the wood was dry and he needed to humidify it. he wanted to charge me 70 bucks for it. i decided to just get my own humidifier for like 12 bucks and do it myself, however im not too sure on what to do. a friend of mine called me and told me he cud do it, but since hes not around rite now i mite have to do it.

is it just a matter of wetting the sponge and putting it in the guitar case and leaving it there for a while? will that 'fix' the guitar? do i have to adjust anything? the neck or whatever.

sorry guys im a noob when it comes to this so i dont wanna mess this up. even though its only 200 bucks it has sentimental value. any and all help would be appreciated. thank you
Take a sponge. Wet it then put it into a soap bar box and leave in your guitar until the sponge gets dry and repeat for about three to five days. Leave your guitar in the case and only open it to re-wet the sponge.
Planet waves makes a humidifier. My dad has this for his 30 year old Guild and it works wonders. Try it out.
i have a planet waves one as well.. it says to put distilled water.. but wud i be fine using tap or bottled water?

do u guys think this wud fix my problem? i think there might be a little hump in my neck right around the 12th fret. looking down at it from the bottom of the guitar it looks like the neck shifts upward at the right side and theres a hump there which explains why theres only a buzz at around the 8-12th fret. meaning when i play the 8th fret, itll be playing the 10th or the 12th or something. it started off small where it was only the 12th fret that had the problem and it wud play the 13th even tho i had my finger on the 12th. now it seems its gettin worse.

would i have to do any adjustments or anything. im really scared to touch it but i dont wanna shell out 70 bucks, i really really dont have that kind of money now that im in college
Ehh...you could use bottled or distilled water. Im sure that it dosent matter, cause only water will be evaporated anyways.

I would clean the fretboard with lizard spit or orange oil or something along those lines. Dont wipe it off, just rub it on and let it sit. Of course water cannot penetrate oil, so use your best judgment. Give the guitar a few days in the case with the humidifier and then try the oil to keep it from getting dry.
I would really use distilled water if the humidifier says to use it. Sorry when I posted I forgot you had a humidifier. But what you have to do is humidify it for a few days then check again for the humo in the neck. If it is still there, which it probably will be then I would say you should adjust the trussrod. Only adjust a little at a time and then let it sit for an hour or so and repeat. It may take longer then a day to get the neck back to where it was. Then leave it in it's case and keep humidifying for another few days. After that check the neck relief again and see if it's good.

Best of luck
uhmm koxx wat do u mean by check the humo in the neck and if its still there? whats still there?

where exactly is this truss rod and where do i adjust it. is it located in the sound hole right at the end of the neck. for me theres little hole on the end of the neck where an allen wrench could fit and theres a sticker that says DUAL ACTION. is that it? which way should i be turnin CW or CCW?

again im sorry to be such a noob but im so glad u guys are here to help?

any other suggestions for me? or precautions? or do u guys think that humidifying it and adjusting the rod would do the trick?

one last question. how long do i let the humidifying process go? i guess i wet the sponge leave it in the guitar and leave the guitar in its guitar bag, and then rewet the sponge wen it gets dry.. but how many cycles do i go through for this?
Don't touch your truss rod. If you're new to this, please god don't touch it. You'll never get your guitar to play correctly again. Use your humidifier, if you use a sponge, don't get it sopping wet, and cover your sound hole with something, otherwise all the water vapor will leak out there. Refill you sponge every day for the first week or so, but again, don't make it sopping wet, soak it, lightly wring it out so no water is dripping out, then put it in your guitar with the soundhole covered. I use a "Dampit" guitar humidifier (amazing) as well as my real humidifier, and between the two, I don't have any problems.
I would like to know how the guy at G/C could tell the guitar needed humidification. You can't tell if wood is dry by looking at it. You would have to do destructive testing to know for sure. That means cut a piece of wood off and send it too a lab.
there are deffinitly sighns of a dry or wet guitar go to the taylor website or frets.com they explain it quite well there.
Quote by Guitar Hack
I would like to know how the guy at G/C could tell the guitar needed humidification. You can't tell if wood is dry by looking at it. You would have to do destructive testing to know for sure. That means cut a piece of wood off and send it too a lab.

You cannot tell necessarily that a piece of wood is "too dry" by looking at it, but you can often tell when a guitar is too dry. Problems with swelling/sinking in the body, fretboard shrinking/expanding, neck alignment, etc. can all provide very telltale information about whether a guitar is "too dry" or even "too wet".