HELP! I love both these amps and would be happy with both. I play metal, In Flames, Metallica, Children of Bodom, lamb of god, all that remains, as well as stuff like jerryC, some neo classical, some shred. Mostly death metal, melodeath etc.

What one works best? I want a real dark gnarly tone that can be a bit more flexible. one that can get to the death metal but also play some lighter distortion. GAH which one should i choose and whY!!! thanks guys
Most people here will say Mark IV even if they've never seen one in person.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
Such a hard choice. My favourite tones are in flames - whoracle - the hive and lamb of god - ruin :\
i've played them both, the mark iv definitely has more balls and chug than a 5150, i think you'd be pretty good with either one, just depends on cleans and such

hey stigma15, how do you like that bugera, i was thinking of looking at one cause i can't afford **** like the Ts
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga
well it depends really a mark VI would be more versitile but i still think a 5150 could get tones for those artists in perticular better its just thats all youll get dont expect anyy god clean tones outa those things lol but for those artists id chose a 5150 but id be abit biased though since i own one lol
Gear: Peavey 5150 Head
Peavey 5150 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standerd
Gibson Flying V
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Marshal JCM 800 1960 A Lead Cab

Quote by dcdossett65
I dont think i'd ever buy a gibson, the epiphones dont feel any different to me, besides the sound.
I think I will go with the markIV for versatility + i dont play THAT much death metal that I should be limited to only metal. However, its still the most difficult decision of my life.
I used to own a 5150 before my Mark IV and the 5150 isn't even in the same league as the Mark IV (imo). A lot of the bands you listed use 5150s, however, others would be more suited to use the Mesa. The Mesa has a much more smooth tone to it, not anywhere near as harsh sounding as a 5150, has a massive bottom end and is tight by itself. Not to mention it's extremely versatile.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Mark IV.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Quote by DeadMansCurve
LOG use Mark IV's i believe.

Yeah they do but their tone isn't anything special.. But it is a damn good one.

I'm sure you will be more than happy with either.. I just got a 5150 and I seriously was blown away when I tried it with a cab at my friends house! (Gotta wait till April for my cab)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

^I was just saying because he plays LOG stuff, although i agree their tone isnt very special, but ive only heard a few of their songs. But TS, for the other stuff you mentioned I think they all have a really middy sound (COB do, old Metallica do) the Peavey might work more as from what i've heard from demos of it, it has a lot of mids, although i have never played either of them so my opinion probably didn't help you much .
Hey guys thread still open. Really tough choice. GAH. I hate making this choice it will suck i want both
Quote by DeadMansCurve
^I was just saying because he plays LOG stuff, although i agree their tone isnt very special, but ive only heard a few of their songs. But TS, for the other stuff you mentioned I think they all have a really middy sound (COB do, old Metallica do) the Peavey might work more as from what i've heard from demos of it, it has a lot of mids, although i have never played either of them so my opinion probably didn't help you much .

The Mesa is all about the mids. People think that with my mids on 4 I'm scooping them, but I'm most definitely NOT, it has plenty of mids to go around at that low a setting.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Try a Bugera maybe? People here have been saying they sound similar or better than 5150s, AND have really good cleans. You can get some of the versatility of the Mark IV and the uber metal sounds of the 5150.

Nothing comes close to the versatility of the Mark IV though. I mean... 22 knobs/sliders on the front to modify sounds, not counting push/pull options. And there's more in the back......
The Mark series eats 5150's for breakfast. Seriously though you shouldn't even be asking this question. MARK hands down. The 5150 isn't even that great I was SEVEReLY disappointed when I played one after hearing such good things about them from UG.
Quote by jasonsol
Hey guys thread still open. Really tough choice. GAH. I hate making this choice it will suck i want both

If you have enough cash, get the Mark IV. As you get older & better, you may want some killer blues tones or cleans at some point, & you'll have that w/ the Mesa. Also, like MatrixClaw said, you won't need any pedals to tighten up the low end on a Mark IV. Very tight, sort of like a Soldano if you EQ it right. You can pick up a used 5150 anytime, but in the meantime, you'll be enjoying some serious tone.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
i live in New Jersey and was considering getting gettin myself a Mark IV. How much does the black head run and does anyone that lives in NJ know where i could pick one up?
Quote by ipodmania7
i live in New Jersey and was considering getting gettin myself a Mark IV. How much does the black head run and does anyone that lives in NJ know where i could pick one up?

New Jersey ftw! The head is about $1800 new I think, and anywhere from $700 - $1400 used. I think theres still one at the New Brunswick Guitar Center for $1400 used. And remember, it has a ton of mids.
thanks dude, i live near flemington but ill take the trip. thanks
GEAR:

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi Les Paul (modded with EMG 81/85, various other things)
Boss Looper
Member of UG's Hatecrew!
Does money come into this equation at all??
"If you tell anybody about these trees.. I WILL CUT YOU!!" - Bob Ross

Gear
Ibanez RG470 | '87 Peavey Predator LMT
Peavey 5150!! | Vader 212!! | Crate GLX65
MXR Dime Dist | Crybaby | Boss TU-80 | ISP Decimator

My Band - Under the Blade
Quote by ketiov
Try a Bugera maybe?

Dude...if he is considering buying a 5150 why would you suggest a copy of a 5150?
anyways, i'd go with the mark, seems like a much fuller and heavyer amp.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
the 5150 is a lot more "raw", where the Mark IV is smooth and nice.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball