Alright im a very big TOOL and APC Fan, I Love The Tone.

Like Adam Jones Is My Hero.

I Have a Epiphone Silverburst Les Paul and Im Swaping Out The Pups With Seymore Duncans

Problem is that i can never get close to his gutiar amp tone

I have a marshall mg100hdfx but im selling it so i can get a better sounding amp

i already know he uses 2 diezel amps and a marshall bass amp to get his tone but im

on a budget near 500-700. ill consider something used but im only playing in my room

so what are my options?
Last edited by Demon_Cleaner at Mar 18, 2008,
ur problem is two letters: "MG"
Oh ur selling it, GOOD.
guitargeek dude, it answers everything.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by Fat Brian
Adam didn't play in APC, that was Billy Howerdel and/or James Iha.

yeah i know i just like both of the tones from the guitar players
well.. my best bet would be to get an amp with some Plexi-like lows (for that thick 'chug' of his), with a tight bottom-end, smooth mids speaker(s?), and a really good OD pedal .
maybe a Ceriatone 18w or if u can find a used orange rocker for that price ..

good luck..
Hmmmmm.....you could rob a guy who has a Diezel VH4.....and insurance...

[being more serious]
There's a modified Boss Metal Zone pedal that has the nickname "SLO/Diezel" (I can't remember who modifies it off the top of my head) that will get you close if put in front of a mid gain modern voiced tube amp. Nothing shy of forking out four grand for an amp will get you exactly there, but with pedals you can get close.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Billy Howerdel uses Mesa Rectos, probably the Dual or Triple.

Adam Jones uses a Blueface VH4 on an oversized Mesa Recto cab, Standard VH4 on an oversized recto cab, and a 1970's Marshall bass amp head through a standard marshall cabinet.

For Billy's tone you're going to want to look at Mesa Boogie, more americanized tone. Adam Jones has a german tone, something along the lines of Engl, Framus, or Diezel. Me being the tool fan that I am though have gotten extremely close to Adam Jones tone with the Mark IV and Roadking. The soundclip on my profile sucks, line 6 toneport garbage! As for getting close to his tone, it's gotta be a searing gain amp, one where you can boost the mids quite a bit. A used Mark IV would be the best choice, but way over your price range. A peavey 5150/6505 gives a similar tone definatly look into it. The Mesa F-100 paired with a distortion pedal used as a boost (not an OD) gives a great Adam esque tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Kendall
Hmmmmm.....you could rob a guy who has a Diezel VH4.....and insurance...

[being more serious]
There's a modified Boss Metal Zone pedal that has the nickname "SLO/Diezel" (I can't remember who modifies it off the top of my head) that will get you close if put in front of a mid gain modern voiced tube amp. Nothing shy of forking out four grand for an amp will get you exactly there, but with pedals you can get close.

Wasn't it Humphrey that did the SLO/Diezel mods?
The guy from APC Never used Mesa Boogie. His amp of choice was the Marshall Plexi. Or a VHT power amp with a Marshall Pre amp.

The get the Tool, APC tone a peavey windsor is a good bet. Both of those bands have a marshall like sound.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12