Okay, so I decided to record some vocals along with the guitar stuff that I am recording and when I was looking to buy a mic, I got totally lost.

I don't have a mixer...can I still plug a mic into my computer...maybe through the mic-in jack on my computer with an instrument cable adapter (that turns the 1/4" to the 1/8" which I have). Do they make mics with instrument cable ends?

Also, what is a good mic to buy for recording vocals just here in my apartment?

Thanks for the help!
If you want to record vocals in a quiet environment, meaning listening to the music in headphones, a halfway decent condenser mic can be had for $250 or less. A pretty good one for $500-$1000. Excellent ones go into the thousands.

If you're aren't able to isolate your vocals from the backing music, consider a Shure SM58. Industry standard performance-grade vocal dynamic mic. Good thing to have in your arsenal no matter what.
Last edited by carpepax at Mar 18, 2008,
There is an MXL package that comes with 2 condenser mics and a preamp for $100 but musiciansfriend.com is down at the moment so I'll link it later.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
at uni we use these m-audio fast track pro boxes: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fast-track/68482

from there you can plug normal mics or condenser mics if you like, as this box can provide phantom power which is a great help. that along with cubase or sonar or something and you can get pretty good results. I dont know much about condenser mics but i know shure sm58 are standard mics which are pretty good. I remember before, i had a usb headset which we recorded some demos with for a laugh, and the results were pretty good aha.
+Fender 50th Anniversary USA Stratocaster (HSS + S1 Switch)
+Gibson Les Paul Studio (Vintage Mahogany)
+Squier Standard Stratocaster
+Fender DG14S Acoustic Guitar
+Peavey Bandit 112 Amp
I'd just say the SM58, too. You can buy an XLR to 1/4" cable to go with it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, I'm gonna say go with the SM58. Condenser mics are great, but can be a major pain to use outside a studio environment.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
The SM58 really is an amazing mic considering the price. I actually prefer it to the Beta 58A. I'm also partial to the Sennheiser 935, but I think the SM58 is a better way to go.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
A used SM58. I got mine in a pawn shop for under $50.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by drmichael
anything cheaper? i guess i shoulda said that spending $50 is a last resort. I wouldnt mind a small step down in quality if its a bit cheaper

No. A used SM58 is really the cheapest mike anyone should own. I say this a fellow poor/cheap student/bastard.
You'll probably have to buy the cable separately, especially if you want an XLR to 1/4" connection. Or you'll need that adapter. Do you have a mic stand? That might come in handy, too.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by llanafreak44
Get a SM57 IMO. That way you can record basically anything, including vocals.

It can take higher SPL's, and is less responsive for vocals and acoustics, for the same reason. Stick to the 58, unless you're trying to mic drums or amps.
If he buys just the SM58, he's going to still need a preamp or some interface or it's going to sound like crap.

I'd seriously consider getting this M-Audio MXL 990/991 Package.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
large condensors are better for vocals. warmer with more depth. go with the mxl v63m you wont be disappointed