Page 1 of 7
For a long time now i've been struggling with religion and god. (my parents raised me up as christian.) I haven't been to church in about 7 years and i don't really feel any spirituality or closeness in religion anymore. The more i look Christianity becomes shallower and twisted. It's weird because most of my friends believe in god, yet i don't think that they really 'get' religion and feel anything from it. I don't know, i'm just really tired, good night.
Quote by metabolicmaggot
Win. +1 cookie for hide the beer.

Quote by hide_the_beer
For a long time now i've been struggling with religion and god. (my parents raised me up as christian.) I haven't been to church in about 7 years and i don't really feel any spirituality or closeness in religion anymore. The more i look Christianity becomes shallower and twisted. It's weird because most of my friends believe in god, yet i don't think that they really 'get' religion and feel anything from it. I don't know, i'm just really tired, good night.

It happens to all Christians. Just start going to church again, you'll feel a lot better.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Or stop believing in god. Its your choice.

Edit: "Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight"
Quote by hide_the_beer

I'm not going to tell you what to think, but I find I don't need a religion to feel complete in my life, nor do I need it for any sort of guidance. I suggest you explore alternate routes, such as the other abrahamic religions, oriental religions, paganism, and even satanism. Even if you do not intend to subscribe to any of these religions, it will help you to make an informed decision. Speak to whomever you recieve religious counsel from, speak to your peers, and discuss philosophy with agnostics and atheists. Strangely enough, those without a god seem to be more informed about it than the believers. Unless we're talking about the 14 year olds who are heathens for the sake of rebellion. They make all of us look bad and need a goot kick in the ass...Among other things...
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Sinning is more fun than following religion.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
i suggest dressing up as an altar boy and asking a priest to show you his real god
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
hey hey, TS that sounds exactly like me, although I was never very christian to begin with. religion is just to fake and single-minded for me (become a christian or you'll go to hell sort of stuff) so I just gave it up altogether. I like having no religion
Quote by lolcats
"Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight"

thats just what i thought when i saw this.

anyway, just read some C.S. Lewis, it always makes me feel spiritual, try the screw tape letters, its a great satire, and it makes a ton of great points about christianity, if not that, then read mere christianity, another great book.

oh and dont give up all together, if you have to just take a break, read some philosophy, but dont give up.
I went through the same thing, but I started questioning the faith along with all other faiths and today Im a self proclaim Agnostic, its really hard to say there is a right religion with some many out there. Go with what you feel, trust yourself and you'll be just fine.
Where's the last place you remember seeing it?

HEY-OH!
||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
I don't know, whenever I get like that going to church doesn't help me as much as (and this may sound weird) setting apart some quiet time to meditate helps. I don't know, I will spend a while sometimes just reflecting and things like that. Spending personal time with God through meditation helps me a ton. (Again, I know this sounds weird, but you can't possibley understand this until you have taken it completely seriously and tried it.)

But seriously, I don't discourage going to church. It's just I am turned off by the huge amount of hypocrisy I see there (or at least in my churches...). Maybe if you go God will speak to you there. He's just spoken to me more often during times of reflection

Honestly, just spend some time thinking about it, though. That's what I reccomend. It's too big a deal to just swear off because of a long break from church.
Losing Religion? Or gaining an open mind and a perspective of your own? I got over Christianity but the Vatican/Christians holding back stem cell research pushed me over the edge, that **** is pretty important. You don't have to define yourself as a religion/atheist either.
I can say I've gone through what you're going through. I've been raised on the Torah and was really into it when I was around 12-14. Gradually I lost much interest in it and now I don't believe in any higher power or religion. I'm happy with my belief, but you need to understand that religions aren't supposed to be rational or logical. You approach faith with trust; noy based on empirical evidence. It's all up to you. I recommend you keep going to church and actually read some texts or theories on the existence or non-existence of God. Educate youself on the topic. You may find a belief that suits you.
Losing religion is just part of your natural development as an individual. Don't let anyone try to tell you what to believe, you have to figure it out for yourself.
Quote by RockerPseudonym
Strangely enough, those without a god seem to be more informed about it than the believers.

It takes a lot of talking to knock down a brick wall.

Couldn't help it.

But srsly, try going back to church again, discuss with people of different faiths. If you don't feel any closer to God..... sounds familiar......hmm......anyway, if you're not feeling anything, welcome to agnosticism, or whatever.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Check out the book The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

To be fair, read some christian stuff too I guess.
I have always been christian, I still believe everything (deciding for myself), but I feel the
need to classify myself as non-denominational bc I really don't like the way the southern baptist community is. I feel like alot of them are fake, get wasted on saturday and go to church sunday asking for forgiveness and thinking it will be all better. I'd rather go to church for myself, not profess my christianity until I start living right, and be true to myself. Bc if I can't be true to myself and be comfortable with everything I'm doing being totally out in the open, I certainly can't be true to God.

I'll admit, I have lost my faith, but recently I have gained it back. (see my other thread for why). Life is short, and really, I don't know what will happen after I die. I would like to go to heaven, and if heaven isn't real to begin with, it won't matter, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Read up on Plato's Cave...
It's better that you lose religion and start believing - biggest step you could ever take in this life.. Ask God for an experience in which you'll know he exists, if you don't ask you'll never receive. I understand you though man, i find that listening to secular music takes me away from my purpose and also pushes me away from God, and since I'm part of the youth worship team, it affects not only myself but the church as a whole... think about that
Quote by eds1275

But seriously, I don't discourage going to church. It's just I am turned off by the huge amount of hypocrisy I see there (or at least in my churches...). Maybe if you go God will speak to you there. He's just spoken to me more often during times of reflection.

sounds like me, till i read the screwtape letters, and saw that that way of thinking was a slipery slope to losing all religion, remember this quote from CS Lewis, in mere christianity
"This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people. "

and another quote this one from the screwtape letters
"There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight. "

sorry if im comming on alittle strong, but its something i've thought alot about.
Quote by JackFlash19
I have always been christian, I still believe everything (deciding for myself), but I feel the
need to classify myself as non-denominational bc I really don't like the way the southern baptist community is. I feel like alot of them are fake, get wasted on saturday and go to church sunday asking for forgiveness and thinking it will be all better. I'd rather go to church for myself, not profess my christianity until I start living right, and be true to myself. Bc if I can't be true to myself and be comfortable with everything I'm doing being totally out in the open, I certainly can't be true to God.

I'll admit, I have lost my faith, but recently I have gained it back. (see my other thread for why). Life is short, and really, I don't know what will happen after I die. I would like to go to heaven, and if heaven isn't real to begin with, it won't matter, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Pascal's Wager is stupid. If you are a Christian just because you don't want to go to hell, you'll go to hell anyway.

Anyway, non-religion for the win.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
ok ok.
read david r. hawkins
eye of the eye, I
good books
neither religious or anti religious
or just google some quotes.
its good to question.
Quote by sargasm
Check out the book The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

To be fair, read some christian stuff too I guess.

If we're gonna start givin out books to read, look at Mere Christianity by C.S Lewis. It puts things in perspective.
Quote by Paroxysm
Thank god man, that's a good thing.

I see what you did there.
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
Yeah, to be honest, I've been questioning my own faith recently too. I really really wanna be able to believe, but I'm just having trouble. I was going to church for a while and felt great, and then I just started questioning my own faith, and now I have been feeling like crap. I feel so hypocritical. Listening to musicians like Sufjan Stevens is the only way for me to feel strong in my faith. I don't know.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by Ancient Jello
"losing religion..."

Best thing that could happen to you. Much better being a rational human being who thinks for him/her self.

Some people, those who are incapable of thinking for themselves, are better off with religion. Look at all the Mansonites and scene kids polluting our world, for example...
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by aaron6890
sounds like me, till i read the screwtape letters, and saw that that way of thinking was a slipery slope to losing all religion, remember this quote from CS Lewis, in mere christianity
"This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people. "

and another quote this one from the screwtape letters
"There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight. "

sorry if im comming on alittle strong, but its something i've thought alot about.

It's not that I don't go to church, because I feel that worshipping is a necessary element in a Christian's life. I just don't seem to get that inspiring feeling that some Christians talk about from going to church and listnening to sermons. I get it from personal time with God like I mentioned before.
Thanks for the concern though
I went through the same thing you're going through, I started questioning what I'd been raised with, since my entire family is Christian. It's funny what you see when you really start looking around. I talked to my family members and other Christians and I even had one girl come out and tell me she was Christian just beacuse she was scared of going to hell. Through a lot of reading and research I came to the conclusion that people cling to religion through fears, fear of hell, fear of deciding what kind of person they really want to be instead of having the rules made for them, fears of what their family will think. I could go into more stuff, but this isn't the religion thead. I say, don't listen just to what someone says, do the research, talk to people with different faiths, find out for yourself what you truly believe.
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
Quote by ebbbaaa
Pascal's Wager is stupid. If you are a Christian just because you don't want to go to hell, you'll go to hell anyway.

Anyway, non-religion for the win.

That's not why I'm christian, i'm just saying from a diff point of view. I'm not a Christian bc I don't want to go to hell. I'm a Christian bc I believe in God. I don't profess to be it though, bc I don't live like one, and I don't want others to see me misrepresenting my religion, like so many other Christians do.
Quote by eds1275
It's not that I don't go to church, because I feel that worshipping is a necessary element in a Christian's life. I just don't seem to get that inspiring feeling that some Christians talk about from going to church and listnening to sermons. I get it from personal time with God like I mentioned before.
Thanks for the concern though

no problem, i have the same thing, i get sudden moments of peace in my everyday life, where i just think "man its a great day" or something like that. i will be tired and bored, and pessimistic, then suddenly, from out of no where, the feeling comes over me. its ten times better than walking out of a church. you have a complete enlightened feeling.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Yeah, to be honest, I've been questioning my own faith recently too. I really really wanna be able to believe, but I'm just having trouble. I was going to church for a while and felt great, and then I just started questioning my own faith, and now I have been feeling like crap. I feel so hypocritical. Listening to musicians like Sufjan Stevens is the only way for me to feel strong in my faith. I don't know.

Going to church is not the cure-all for Christians. Don't go there and expect to have all doubts and problems suddenly be washed away. As I said before, I personally think it's for worshipping. In my opinion, the sermons are usually meant for specific people and you might not get anything from it because God will speak to you in a different way as He does with me.
The best thing to do, have a talk with god about your walk with him. I haven't been to a church in awhile, due to an incident of which I shall not speak of. But I am still one of god's children, we all are. A church does not make Christians, Christ does.
Proud member of the r0k 4 Chr15† club, PM christianbassis oe teh raven to join
My guitars-
Ibanez RX-40 (Had it since I was six lol )
A spanish classical guitar
Theres no point of being a chirstian if your afraid of going to hell
You can go to heaven even if you dont believe in god. If you ask god to forgive you he will but you still go to jail for donig bad things
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Lookatthis97787.jpg[/img]
Quote by Ancient Jello
"losing religion..."

Best thing that could happen to you. Much better being a rational human being who thinks for him/her self.

Right, because the morals I got from my parents as opposed to from the bible means I think for myself.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
i've brought you someone to talk to

Quote by bassboy 999
Cheers to you triple x maniac

Quote by snipelfritz
Wait, your dick is in a chick's ass, and you're complaining.

Its a sad, sad day.
Quote by sean_etc
Theres no point of being a chirstian if your afraid of going to hell
You can go to heaven even if you dont believe in god. If you ask god to forgive you he will but you still go to jail for donig bad things

Sorry, but that part about being able to go to heaven w/o believing in God --- makes no sense...
Why would you ask him for forgiveness if you don't believe in him?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Right, because the morals I got from my parents as opposed to from the bible means I think for myself.

Excuse me, Sir! I have no morals!
Wait...
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
Sounds like you're at the point of your life where you've actually begun to think. A lot of good books are out there, and don't restrict yourself! Reading both The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and The Language of God by Francis Collins can spark deeper introspections into faith, something I feel is needed in society today. Both are very well written books, you won't be disappointed.
Quote by bigredbeast
how much is 15,000 PHP? I didn't know they played guitar in the Phillipines. I thought they played ukelele or something.

Because, of course, we're too far away from places with guitars and all that stuff so we play ukelele...